• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

How do you store your most valuable comics?

40 posts in this topic

btw, top-loaders are overkill, and stoopid (but to each his own). :grin:

I love Top loaders.First time you drop an expensive raw book,you won't think they were overkill. (thumbs u

Top-loaders are excellent for safe keeping. It really depends how you are displaying your comics though. In a mylar with a board and in a box does not need a top-loader.

I display many of my books on shelving and in spinner racks. For these types of displays I highly recommend them.

009_zps8e10a6a9.jpg

I also recommend using them at conventions. I have some books that I lay flat on the tables to grab the attention of potential buyers who are walking by.

ClobTableB_zps56a6b678.jpg

I put the books in top-loaders to prevent someone from wrecking the book by picking it up, or leaning on it when it is on the table. People also have a habit of putting things down on the tables seemingly oblivious that a comic book is displayed there.

Top-loaders have saved many books for me.

^^

I just did a quick search on comicsupply.com, and the amount complaints is overwhelming. I wasnt aware that so many people have had issues with them before. Somehow I managed to slip through the cracks and receive really good service. (shrug)

I didn't think good service was in Russell's vocabulary. lol

I can see why. I just might have to reconsider. Thanks for the heads up.

Check out Hotflips.com,he's a board member,and an awesome dude. (thumbs u

I just did a quick search on comicsupply.com, and the amount complaints is overwhelming. I wasnt aware that so many people have had issues with them before. Somehow I managed to slip through the cracks and receive really good service. (shrug)

Awesome. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm glad I was informed before I got screwed over by this guy. Maybe I was Comic Supply's only happy customer?

Awesome. Thanks for the recommendation. I'm glad I was informed before I got screwed over by this guy. Maybe I was Comic Supply's only happy customer?

I have never had a problem with Comic Supply either. Many people have. I personally got everything I ordered and on time.

I love Top loaders.First time you drop an expensive raw book,you won't think they were overkill. (thumbs u

Top-loaders are excellent for safe keeping. It really depends how you are displaying your comics though. In a mylar with a board and in a box does not need a top-loader.

I display many of my books on shelving and in spinner racks. For these types of displays I highly recommend them.

009_zps8e10a6a9.jpg

I also recommend using them at conventions. I have some books that I lay flat on the tables to grab the attention of potential buyers who are walking by.

ClobTablea_zpsf53bc5da.jpg

I put the books in top-loaders to prevent someone from wrecking the book by picking it up, or leaning on it when it is on the table. People also have a habit of putting things down on the tables seemingly oblivious that a comic book is displayed there.

My lord I want some of those Planet Comics!

So granted this is somewhat subjective, but what is your cutoff for a valuable comic? Unfortunately I am not in any AF or ToS club just yet.

Also where do you get your archival paper and acid free boxes?

Definitely subjective, but let me put it this way...

My high dollar books consist of X-Men 1, GS X-Men 1, Silver Surfer 1, and Hulk 181. They are all CGC, and I wouldn't have it any other way. My other books that are in the hundred dollar range are bagged and boarded.

I get my supplies from comicsupply.com

The owner is awesome, and is willing to spend a lot of time on the phone with his customers.

:roflmao:

Drop an expensive raw book? :o

Artboy,

That's an awesome array of books, and I could see why you use them (thumbs u

But my collection is private, and I don't display them. Ever. As I said, to each his own.

-d

009_zps8e10a6a9.jpg

ClobTablea_zpsf53bc5da.jpg

(thumbs u Although, I still buy everything direct from E. Gerber.

(thumbs u Although, I still buy everything direct from E. Gerber.

Hot flips is great if you need a small order... But if you are ordering a stash of Mylar or fullbacks, you are better to get them from e gerber directly. They offer good prices on large orders.

I agree... I love top loaders as well. :grin: If I were a sports card guy I wouldn't use soft plastics for expensive cards? Same way I don't use plastic bags for expensive comics. I'm surprised top loaders haven't caught on more with comic enthusiasts? The only real turn off is the price. They're great for protecting expensive books.

I agree... I love top loaders as well. :grin: If I were a sports card guy I wouldn't use soft plastics for expensive cards? Same way I don't use plastic bags for expensive comics. I'm surprised top loaders haven't caught on more with comic enthusiasts? The only real turn off is the price. They're great for protecting expensive books.

Exactly. I guess some people think that enclosing your valuable comics in a plastic case to help ensure damage prevention is just "overkill" and "stoopid". Makes absolutely no sense to me.

Exactly. I guess some people think that enclosing your valuable comics in a plastic case to help ensure damage prevention is just "overkill" and "stoopid". Makes absolutely no sense to me.

It's absolutely unnecessary, unless you're using them for coasters. lol

Very fast turnaround, as well.

Very fast turnaround, as well.

I think I'm won over already. Even though I was never cheated by the guy from Comic Supply, the amount of complaints is staggering, and is enough to make me not want to shop there.

I think its better to reholder it for $15 than crack it out and have to pay to get it regraded at some point. Take it to the next con where CGC attends.

Then it will be fully protected in the slab. Keep it in a cool place away from direct sunlight and enjoy your grail.

If you want to read the story, you can always pick up a reprint.

CGC no longer accepts reholder submissions via any source other than mail in.

Just an FYI.

How do you get your books in one of those top loaders without snagging or bending a page/cover?

I'm not sure how other folks use them? First I use mylar bags and boards than slide the book "already bagged and boarded" into the top loader. It's a nice snug fit. It's a great way to protect more expensive comics you don't plan on having certified. I've been using them for years. :)

How do you get your books in one of those top loaders without snagging or bending a page/cover?

I'm not sure how other folks use them? First I use mylar bags and boards than slide the book "already bagged and boarded" into the top loader. It's a nice snug fit. It's a great way to protect more expensive comics you don't plan on having certified. I've been using them for years. :)

Exactly how I use them.

004-1.jpg

If you notice behind the WWT#1,everyone of my raw expensive books are done in the same way.