• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Ultimates Vol 2 #1 Preview...

19 posts in this topic

Looks like more great stuff.

Who wouldn't like Ultimate Cap???????? He's as hard case as they come.

Sure the preview premise is stretching reality...but that's right in line with the original WWII Cap comics. It's fun...it's escapism...and its' got pretty pictures too.

takeit.gif

Looks like more great stuff.

Who wouldn't like Ultimate Cap???????? He's as hard case as they come.

Sure the preview premise is stretching reality...but that's right in line with the original WWII Cap comics. It's fun...it's escapism...and its' got pretty pictures too.

takeit.gif

I especially loved the boot to Banner's face scene in the first series. 893applaud-thumb.gif

Thanks to Mark Millar, Captain America is cool again....

I think the Ultimates is an extremely well written and drawn series, but I actually don't care for the characterization of most of the team members. There is very little that is heroic, noble or likeable about them. It seems like Millar took the personality traits from their darkest hours in the regular Marvel Universe and magnified them without balancing it out with the good things.

Just my two cents...

There is very little that is heroic, noble or likeable about them. It seems like Millar took the personality traits from their darkest hours in the regular Marvel Universe and magnified them without balancing it out with the good things.

A sign of the times IMO. Most of the most popular 'heros' these days have a much darker edge like Wolverine, Punisher, etc.

The SA heroic model just doesn't seem to 'fit' anymore, which is not neccessarily a good thing.

There is very little that is heroic, noble or likeable about them. It seems like Millar took the personality traits from their darkest hours in the regular Marvel Universe and magnified them without balancing it out with the good things.

A sign of the times IMO. Most of the most popular 'heros' these days have a much darker edge like Wolverine, Punisher, etc.

The SA heroic model just doesn't seem to 'fit' anymore, which is not neccessarily a good thing.

Spider-Man? confused-smiley-013.gif

Superman? confused-smiley-013.gif

Still pretty popular.

893scratchchin-thumb.gif Must check this out, it looks pretty interesting.

It's a great book, when it actually comes out it's one of my favorite books out there- in terms of being a fun read at least. There are two trades on the shelves now reprinting the first 13 issues.

Keep in mind, it's the "ultimate" universe, so some things are different in terms of backstories, origins and the like. It's also grittier than you might expect "The Avengers" to be.

Spider-Man? confused-smiley-013.gif

Superman? confused-smiley-013.gif

Still pretty popular.

True, but I think they are exceptions. Not too many of the classic SA heroes are quite as clean cut as they used to be. 893scratchchin-thumb.gif