• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Just finished IC #6... <spoilers>

412 posts in this topic

It's Jean. It's got to be. It makes for a better story to have a "normal" being the murderer than a "super", unless it's a hero. But, we've ruled them out, haven't we?

I really think Jean is in on also but I wonder if it could be something as simple as a two killer team 893scratchchin-thumb.gif I think someone should post a poll with a list of who we think it is based on this threads responces has been. Then check it out once IC #7 hits the shelf grin.gif

The weird thing about this is, I hated this series from the get go but now I'm hooked on it like white on rice grin.gif I started wondering why Rhalp the detective he is, hasn't really got off his but to do something to really help. Then I reallized how much I like Batman, he's the kind of person who will find the killer first and cry later thumbsup2.gif Anyways I can't wait till IC #7 893applaud-thumb.gif

Yeah, there's something sadistic about telling us that Sue was pregnant and then killing her all within a couple of pages. She included the pregnancy test in with the birthday gift, and I must say, being a single guy I have no idea what the lifespan of those things are. I would take it as being something Sue just discovered, and that the killer probably didn't know about...

Baby conceived out of wedlock? Not likely. Although they did lay on the "She loves me, I love him" schtick a little thick at the start of #1 - but that's the way they've always been.

Did Sue tell anyone else? Seemed like she just found out herself - but maybe they were trying to have a kid. Would announcing that to Jean Loring (presuming they even talk) drive Jean off the edge? Seems kind of lame to me.

I think I've solved the mystery!!!!!! 893whatthe.gif

It is definitely Jean Loring. With the mind-wipe being a semi-misdirection.

Here's why.....Ready?????

We all know Jean has access to Atom's patents and inventions (mentioned several times in the series). Jean knows the identities of all the heroes and their loved ones. She and Sue were good friends, and Sue had probably even confided in her a few times, like after the Dr. Light rape (giving Jean a perfect initial suspect).

Jean's attacker is never shown, only gloved hands. When the heroes come to investigate, Mr. Miracle is checking out a table and plant in the corner nearest where Jean was hung. The same table she used to step off of to fake her assault. In the flashback scene, notice that the table is replaced by the "assailant", but the planter is right behind his feet (A visual clue from Meltzer).

Neither Sue or Jean were warned about their attacks, while Lois and Jack Drake were both warned (after Jean's attack). Boomerang was hired as a fall guy by Jean via Calculator. She knew that if Lois was attacked, Supes would probably kill the guy. Or that Jack Drake (if given a gun) was more than capable of defending himself (being an adventurer and all). Bad guy dead, case closed. End of story. What she didn't count on was Drake getting killed, further drawing Batman into the picture.

But why? Ready for the super shocker?

Ray and Sue had an affair. The baby Sue was carrying was actually his. He was divorced and upset, needed a shoulder to cry on. One thing led to another. Jean, being one of her closest friends and the Atom's ex-wife, is the perfect one to talk to about how to tell Ray or should she even? Jean won't mind, they're divorced. But, Jean did mind and killer her instead. She may have been divorced from Ray, but maybe this was her sick way of getting him back?

Why else would Meltzer make Sue pregnant? Ralph's life was already going to be destroyed by her death. To add a baby "just because" is overkill. It's a clue!

They said this story would shake up the League. Well, we know that Atom can't be trusted. He slept with his buddy's wife and is somewhat to blame. Two 'heroes' are dead. Quite the shake up!

acclaim.gifacclaim.gifacclaim.gif

(I may be off, but man this is fun!!!!!!)

That's some good detectin' there, boy! 893applaud-thumb.gif

I like the 2 killer theory...

I re-read the last flash issue where Barry had Zatanna change the Top into a hero. What if that wasn't the only time. Perhaps they did it to a villain early on and that villain became a predominant member of the Justice League...

Hey, Gwen's now a $lu+, so anything is fair game.

I'm still hanging onto the Jean as killer!

She probably sold soem inventions to killers and signing the patents over to Ray when the [#@$%!!!] hits the fan Ray is in the press as holder of patents that allowed super villans to kill!

She probably sold soem inventions to killers and signing the patents over to Ray when the [#@$%!!!] hits the fan Ray is in the press as holder of patents that allowed super villans to kill!

And you're right.

As someone mentioned earlier, it's been hinted that Batman is going to be essential in cracking the case.

Issue #6 ends with Batman having a big revelation and calling J'onn to "Find Ray". With the evidence presented, we're supposed to think it's Ray.

Deathlok was correct about Batman's reaction being one of trying to save Ray, not catch him.

It's Jean.

And you're right.

As someone mentioned earlier, it's been hinted that Batman is going to be essential in cracking the case.

Issue #6 ends with Batman having a big revelation and calling J'onn to "Find Ray". With the evidence presented, we're supposed to think it's Ray.

Deathlok was correct about Batman's reaction being one of trying to save Ray, not catch him.

It's Jean.

But is it just Jean?

As a complete DCU novice, I have to ask if there are any villains associated with eye color changes... either possessors, shape-shifters, or those that can create artificial constructs.

Thanks,

Fan4Fan

I don't think it's just Jean, although the Jean theory makes a lot of sense. I'm stuck on Hal (Spectre) saying "Get them, make them pay." Clearly, it's Hal thinks it's more than one person.

Jean & Someone but Jean is involved.

I don't think it's just Jean, although the Jean theory makes a lot of sense. I'm stuck on Hal (Spectre) saying "Get them, make them pay." Clearly, it's Hal thinks it's more than one person.

Jean & Someone but Jean is involved.

I agree that Jean has to be involved. I really think she faked her own attack.

people keep saying this, but when Ollie asked the question he did so in the plural as well -- referring to the killer(s) as "they" and he certainly doesn't know who did it or how many people were involved.

people keep saying this, but when Ollie asked the question he did so in the plural as well -- referring to the killer(s) as "they" and he certainly doesn't know who did it or how many people were involved.

You done took the words outta my mouth!

Clearly, it's Hal thinks it's more than one person.

Hal not just thinks it, he knows it's more than one person, since he says he knows who they are are but he's bound by God not to divulge that information.

(a bit of a cop out, but a clue nonetheless)

Let's look at the significant actions that have happened in IC to date, without all of the flashback stuff:

- Bolt sent to procure Luthor's armor, he's shot by the kids who have it

- Sue Dibny (and unborn child) - murdered and body is burned

- Jean Loring gives Ray Palmer his patents back.

- Sue Dibny's funeral - body sent to Dr. Mid-Nite for investigation.

- Dr. Light's memories are returning (triggered by word of Sue's death?), he's sent by the Calculator to the Injustice Society satellite to hire a bodygaurd. He hires Deathstroke the Terminator. While they are attacked by the JLA Dr. Light remembers what happened to him, but gets away.

- Dr. Mid-Nite rules out Dr. Light as a suspect.

- Jean Loring - attempted murder (hanging), saved by the Atom

- Jean Loring and Ray Palmer resume their failed relationship

- Captain Boomerang reunites with lost son.

- Lois Lane - sent a note (threat or warning?)

- Captain Boomerang and son bond, discover he has meta-human abilities.

- Captain Boomerang - hired to kill Jack Drake

- Jack Drake - sent a note (warning) and a gun

- Boomerang and Drake kill each other.

- Drake's funeral. Boomerang's body confiscated by the feds.

- Boomerang's son becomes the new Captain Boomerang

- Dr. Mid-Nite discovers "foot prints" in Sue's brain as the cause of death

- Batman wants Ray Palmer found and to stay where he is

I kind of think there are two people at work here - the killer (as in the person that wanted Sue dead) and the person sending the notes (warnings?).

And while all of this is happening:

- The Calculator coordinates the villains (says he's hired by someone to do the jobs, and he's "connected" enough to get them released).

- Oracle coordinates the heroes and their investigations (at the direction of Superman, Green Arrow and Batman)

In a lot of ways this is like a very strategic game of chess... we know who is manipulating Oracle's moves, but what about the Calculator? Is he being directed by the killer? Or the person sending the notes? Is he a general or a field commander?

Did I forget anything?

Kevin, do you think that small, seemingly meaningless scene with Black Lightining and Katanna dining together means anything. I mentioned earlier I found it odd that Black Lightning shorts out a cell phone with his electrical powers. The scene doesn't really have any bearing, and it's basically been forgotten, plus turn the page and see what happens after he shorts the phone out, Atom is shown coming out of a phone.

Kevin, do you think that small, seemingly meaningless scene with Black Lightining and Katanna dining together means anything. I mentioned earlier I found it odd that Black Lightning shorts out a cell phone with his electrical powers. The scene doesn't really have any bearing, and it's basically been forgotten, plus turn the page and see what happens after he shorts the phone out, Atom is shown coming out of a phone.

I give it as much weight as the scene with Nightwing and Starfire, Superman and his folks, Green Arrows I&II & Wildcat, etc. It's setup to describe the current climate of the heroes in the DCU. The only connection I can think of is that BL was a member of Luthor's cabinet... it's pretty clear by #5 that Luthor is now firmly entrenched in the private sector again (as Amanda Waller and Luthor's lawyers are no longer in the public sector but still connected to the government).

The only thing that seems to have a recurring theme in the issues so far is the eyes of certain individuals. I flipped through issue 1 again last night.

When Bolt "teleports" he seems to appear in the alley by the Luthor suit. However he has that odd look that others have had later in the series. Also, when Bolt "teleports" out of his car, this is the exact same moment Sue is attacked.

Also, Jean only had half of Ray's patents due to the settlement, these she gave back to Ray.

Hal not just thinks it, he knows it's more than one person, since he says he knows who they are are but he's bound by God not to divulge that information.

I'm reading it different. As the Spectre, Hal is not allowed to get involved.

Assume it is one person. What can Hal say:

-Get him! - Wouldn't this violate his "Spectre Code" as he has revealed the killer is a man.

-Get her - Same as above

That only leaves the following available to Hal:

-Get it - Not used for obvious reasons.

-Get them - The only remaining choice that doesn't violate the "Spectre Code". Plus, he's responding to Ollie's use of "they killed Jean" as Foolkiller pointed out. Luckily for Meltzer, it also throws us off.

The Spectre code is "I'm bound not to tell you who", but since this is Hal Jordan and the deceased was a close friend he is going to find any way around that code without violating the spirit (ha!) of it.

He can't tell Ollie who did it, but he can give him the bare minimum of a hint. Hence "get them" instead of "get the person".

We'll find out in a couple of weeks.

kev, the only reason why I point this out is because of the way it was written. Ollie asked the question with "they" not him, her or the person either... so I can't agree with the logic that the Spectre is giving any hint whatsoever by saying "them".

Both Ollie and Hal were speaking in the plural.