• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

The Reality of Dream Books

43 posts in this topic

I dunno man... but I feel your pain. 20 years ago when I was trying to get an ASM run (and in college) I never thought I'd be able to afford the lower ones, but eventually I was able to complete the run. I told myslef I'll be able to get a low grade AF15 eventually and then let that thought go to the back burner.

Now look at that book today - it's through the roof and there's no way I'm spending the $ on it now. The thought is a bit deflating. However I will concede that if I sold off a bunch of things it could be within reach, I'm just not willing to do that at this time.

I know you're playing on another scale with these early Action books. At the same time, I started collecting LB Cole books and I'm now able to spend $$$ on books I never would have even thought of. So keep hope alive man!!! :D

I actually see this as a great opportunity to refocus your collecting interests. I feel your pain on the grails, but there are so many awesome comics that are cool and affordable. Hopefully if you stay the course, you will ultimately be able to get an affordable copy of at least that Action 23.

Action #13 is a pretty ambitious. I mean we're talking *royal* GA here. Its top shelf, mega blue chip. The few current holders of this book are breathing rarefied air.

Have you considered heading down the PLOD lane?

The Action #13 just might be do'able in a low grade EP restoe format?

I feel your pain, something is deff going on with GA books lately. I collect an obscure title. 6 months ago I could have gotten the issues I was missing for 75-100 for high grade and next to nothing for low grade. E-bay, HA, and CC all have had these books going for 200-300 a piece lately with low grade and un graded at guide +.... weird

I'm glad I'm not collecting early DC's like you are /sheesh I wouldn't be able to afford even a single book !

I feel your pain, something is deff going on with GA books lately. I collect an obscure title. 6 months ago I could have gotten the issues I was missing for 75-100 for high grade and next to nothing for low grade. E-bay, HA, and CC all have had these books going for 200-300 a piece lately with low grade and un graded at guide +.... weird

I'm glad I'm not collecting early DC's like you are /sheesh I wouldn't be able to afford even a single book !

I thought something along the lines you are hinting at Griff. But could you be a little more precise as to what you believe 'is going on' in GA lately?

Well it is just my personal belief but......

I think there is a combination of factors.

1: I honestly believe there are new collectors coming into the GA hobby

2: shills,shills,shills

3: someone else out there has started to collect something I collect.

4: Barrett Jackson Effect. "Another hobby of mine is cars. Car collectors joke that since the Barrett Jackson have come out every tom, , and harry thinks their rust bucket is worth a million bucks"

odd to see so much of a mark up though. Previously I could pickup GA Crowley copies of my book for 75-100 bucks each. cheapest Crowley's I can find now for the book are $150. and most seem to average $300 a piece.

19 bids for $5000 in the first day. On a 3.0 Action #23. Seriously? If this is legit, it basically destroys guide and GPA.

Looks like an aberration to me. Seems like a $2500-$3000 copy. I could understand it if someone thought it was upgradable, but based on the label notes, that's highly unlikely.

Evidently there's a lot of people who want this book now, and it has been getting hotter the last couple years. Plus it has the new label description. That means it's a very recently graded copy and would explain why it has come to market. This may be one of only a couple of these to come up for sale this year. That might explain the degree of interest.

-J.

Well, I probably will never have the funds to buy even a low grade copy of either Action 13 or 23 but I did buy an Action Comics 17--by far my earliest Action Comic. I think it has a pretty cool cover and I bought it raw from a prominent dealer at a show. He claimed it was a 4.0 with OW PQ. I'm still no expert at Grading mainly because of poor eyesight--2 cataract surgeries-so I rely on dealers and other collectors. Spent good money for the book--right around Guide and Guide is expensive. Book submitted and came back a CGC 4.0 with Cream/OW PQ. Very happy with the grade despite the PQ but heck it's a 1939 book and I think Cream/OW isn't that bad all things considered.

So there are other Actions out there. Agreed though--How I would love an Action Comics 13. Family comes first though.

If you want it bad enough you'll eventually find a way.

I've gone through a similar thing with some of my books. It hurts when you think you have a good chance and then it turns out you weren't even close. Those made me realize either how much is too much, or how much I need to have a fighting chance.

Several times I went crazy high on a book and was thrilled I still lost the auction. It was way too much and I would've regretted it in the end. I've had moments of "DON'T WIN DON'T WIN DON'T WIN!!!" PHEWWWWWW. Thank god I didn't win. I used to freak my wife out by bidding thousands on 1952 Mickey Mantle cards knowing the end price would be 5x higher.

Unfortunately the rarity of the books we like means we have to overpay at just the right moment or lose out.

Sometimes it's better to know you lost an auction early rather than getting your hopes up till the very end.

I've found that facing an "unreachable" book can help me understand the true value and meaning of my collectables. Each time I've sacrificed several books to obtain one grail type, I've never looked back.

Also, like illustrious, I find certain table scraps can really satisfy! For example my All Select #1 is just the front cover and I have no desire to upgrade at all.

Action 13 is one of those key covers that will always demand. I remember bidding on a Action 13 front cover only awhile back. It went super high.

If you could get $5,000 for it, you can eventually get $10,000 if you want it that bad.

Remember that your $5,000 bid looks like a $5million bid to someone out there.

Well, I probably will never have the funds to buy even a low grade copy of either Action 13 or 23 but I did buy an Action Comics 17--by far my earliest Action Comic. I think it has a pretty cool cover and I bought it raw from a prominent dealer at a show. He claimed it was a 4.0 with OW PQ. I'm still no expert at Grading mainly because of poor eyesight--2 cataract surgeries-so I rely on dealers and other collectors. Spent good money for the book--right around Guide and Guide is expensive. Book submitted and came back a CGC 4.0 with Cream/OW PQ. Very happy with the grade despite the PQ but heck it's a 1939 book and I think Cream/OW isn't that bad all things considered.

So there are other Actions out there. Agreed though--How I would love an Action Comics 13. Family comes first though.

Family comes first and without the wife freaking out on you,many great books out there yet to rise to the top.Be happy in what you can get all are loved for different reasons!

Think of it like this.

You may want a super model in your life. But odds are, you will never ever have one.

Such is life.

Move on. The key to happiness, is being satisfied with what you have.

Barring winning the lottery, I know for a fact that I will never have an Action Comics #1. I don't lose any sleep over it. Not one minute. I am perfectly happy with an ASM #1. Even though there is no comparison between the two.

Think of it like this.

You may want a super model in your life. But odds are, you will never ever have one.

Such is life.

Move on. The key to happiness, is being satisfied with what you have.

Barring winning the lottery, I know for a fact that I will never have an Action Comics #1. I don't lose any sleep over it. Not one minute. I am perfectly happy with an ASM #1. Even though there is no comparison between the two.

For sure. Like I said, I'm a realist, I get that. The problem is, are books like Action #13 and 'Tec #31 now approaching Action #1 royalty status?

I've never in my life had any delusions about owning an Action #1 or 'Tec #27 (or dating a supermodel for that matter lol ), but it appears that my top two dream books are now just as out of reach as Action #1 is.

Sure, maybe not from a pure monetary value standpoint. But it doesn't matter if it's 10k or 500k. I don't have that kind of expendable dough on either end of the spectrum and likely never will.

The idea behind this post was mostly to determine whether or not I (sadly) needed to flush a few books that are apparently no longer in the price range of mere mortal collectors. And the resounding answer appears to be yes.

Think of it like this.

When I was a younger man I used to dream of waking up next to a calendar girl......

Well my puppy was miss Nov in last years CAPS calendar. so mission accomplished !

wa3exz.jpg

So here's where I'm at.

After reading all your great posts and giving it some thought, I've decided that the best idea for my collection is to create a cap of some sort. Since I was willing to go $5k on the Action #13 in the CC auction, I've decided that's where I'm at.

I can't ever see myself willingly spending more than $5k on a book. Never have, never will. Kudos to those who can, but I don't have the stomach for it. $5k is more than reasonable for me and my family's lifestyle.

So that leaves me trying to identify Golden Age DC books (what I collect) that have become unrealistic or unavailable in any grade at that price point. Some are obvious, of course, but I would appreciate any help with my list based on recent market trends you've been seeing.

Here's what I've got so far:

GA DC Books that you can't get (in any shape, restored or unrestored, complete) for $5,000 or under:

1. Action Comics #1

2. Detective Comics #27

3. Superman #1

4. Batman #1

5. Action Comics #7

6. Detective Comics #31

7. Action Comics #13

8. Detective Comics #29

9. Action Comics #10

10. All-American Comics #16

11. Flash Comics #1

12. Adventure Comics #40

13. Action Comics #2

14. Detective Comics #33

15. Detective Comics #28

It looks, based on GPA alone, like More Fun #52 might surprisingly be an option for me (if it ever came up, which it doesn't).

Anything else I missed?

Great post and again, I can relate 100%. That looks very much like the list of early DC hero books I consider off the table for myself too (not counting incomplete or coverless copies, or some outrageously lucky score).

I actually did a big selloff some years back to swing a Tec #35, as 1) I thought it among the coolest early Bat-books and a personal grail, and 2) the lowest-grade/restored copies were just beginning to teeter over the 5K mark you describe... a mark I'd not crossed before, and frankly, don't expect to again.

If you go for either coverless or books missing the back cover, it may open up some doors...

Detective Comics #38 Universal CGC 0.5 (missing b/c) sold for $2,629.00

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7076&lotNo=93080

Detective Comics #38 Restored CGC 0.5 (missing b/c) sold for $1,673.00

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=121319&lotNo=11155

If you go for either coverless or books missing the back cover, it may open up some doors...

Detective Comics #38 Universal CGC 0.5 (missing b/c) sold for $2,629.00

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=7076&lotNo=93080

Detective Comics #38 Restored CGC 0.5 (missing b/c) sold for $1,673.00

http://comics.ha.com/c/item.zx?saleNo=121319&lotNo=11155

'Tec #38 is surprisingly get-able as well. I'm not going to nix it from my want-list just yet. And I'm definitely open to missing back covers.

GA DC Books that you can't get (in any shape, restored or unrestored, complete) for $5,000 or under:

1. Action Comics #1

2. Detective Comics #27

3. Superman #1

4. Batman #1

5. Action Comics #7

6. Detective Comics #31

7. Action Comics #13

8. Detective Comics #29

9. Action Comics #10

10. All-American Comics #16

11. Flash Comics #1

12. Adventure Comics #40

13. Action Comics #2

14. Detective Comics #33

15. Detective Comics #28

man, what a great list of books. :cloud9:

only advice I can offer on books like these is to go for restored copies. because even in low grade blue, alot of the times the books will have brittle or slightly brittle pages, and to me, I'd rather have a "fresher" book, one that is not falling apart, with some restoration on it. than a blue label book with bad PQ. but each to their own. I must say you have very good taste in GA books. :)