• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

PGM: BATMAN 232

22 posts in this topic

Just picked this beauty up.

Note the upper staple is present, tight throughout the book except it is detached from the front cover.

No issue with the lower staple.

Other than the upper staple problem and a slight miswrap (?), book appears to be almost news-stand fresh, tough to tell from a scan.

Any thoughts on grade?

BAT232.jpg

BAT232B.jpg

BAT232C.jpg

8.5 IMHO! Nice looking copy! (even with the staple pop)smiley-gen130.gif

1 pop staple does not affect the grade that much?

To be honest after I saw the grade results for ASM 129 for Red84 I can't imagine that a staple pop will have that much of an effect on the grade? I could be very wrong or I could be very right!

It seems it depends on the mood of the day?smiley-gen130.gif

I recall seeing something about if a high-grade book (NM-ish) has no issues other than a blown staple on the cover, it can still be listed as a (VF-ish) book.

It may have been in the 2nd Edition OS Grading Guide, I couldn't find it in the 3rd Edition.

Figured it would be safe to just post it here and see what the pros think.

I recall seeing something about if a high-grade book (NM-ish) has no issues other than a blown staple on the cover, it can still be listed as a (VF-ish) book.

It may have been in the 2nd Edition OS Grading Guide, I couldn't find it in the 3rd Edition.

Figured it would be safe to just post it here and see what the pros think.

I think you are referring to the 1st Edition of the OSGG, page 123. JLA #9 (1962) with a detached lower staple. Graded at 95 NM before the defect and 85 VF with the defect factored in. (The old 100 point system).smiley-gen130.gif

A quick search brought me to this small thread which discusses popped staples. Not much in that thread but the main points are clearly defined.

Point made!

If this book would grade at 9.4 no defects blue label, then with the staple pop I think 8.5 defect noted, blue label is fair and reasonable The book appears to be in NM condition and although the scans are on the small side I don't see any glaring defects that would suggest otherwise. (It would be equivalent to 9.4 defect noted, green label)

The excerpt that I quoted from the first edition of the Overstreet Graders Guide is a perfect example that seems to line with the information provided in the thread!

What's the highest blue label grade ever assigned to a book with a popped staple?

Don't know if these are the highest but here are two 7.5 examples:

B8-1.jpgB8-2.jpg

Here is another example but with a detached center fold:

B8-7.jpg

These are taken directly from the thread for An In-Depth Comparison of Green Label and Blue Label Grading in the Comic Book Grading and Restoration Issues thread.

Green and Blue Label Comparisons

A quick search brought me to this small thread which discusses popped staples. Not much in that thread but the main points are clearly defined.

Point made!

If this book would grade at 9.4 no defects blue label, then with the staple pop I think 8.5 defect noted, blue label is fair and reasonable The book appears to be in NM condition and although the scans are on the small side I don't see any glaring defects that would suggest otherwise. (It would be equivalent to 9.4 defect noted, green label)

The excerpt that I quoted from the first edition of the Overstreet Graders Guide is a perfect example that seems to line with the information provided in the thread!

Except we're not talking about the OS graders guide here. We're talking about CGC

Point made!

Except we're not talking about the OS graders guide here. We're talking about CGC

That's right! And where do you think the grading system for CGC was derived from? We're all looking for the same answers and a little more consistency.

Point made!

That's right! And where do you think the grading system for CGC was derived from? We're all looking for the same answers and a little more consistency.

Derived from yes but we are far removed from the year 1999 and there are differences of course between the two systems

One inherent problem is when you give the submitter the choice between picking a green label (higher numerical grade) or a blue label (lower numerical grade). That leads to confusion and inconsistency, just like CGC allowing a small amount of glue (with a blue label) on GA books.

Point made!

Derived from yes but we are far removed from the year 1999 and there are differences of course between the two systems

One inherent problem is when you give the submitter the choice between picking a green label (higher numerical grade) or a blue label (lower numerical grade). That leads to confusion and inconsistency, just like CGC allowing a small amount of glue (with a blue label) on GA books.

Right, which is why I put the link to the Grading & Labelling thread in my comments where I have shown you some higher grade blue label examples!

Point made!

Right, which is why I put the link to the Grading & Labelling thread in my comments where I have shown you some higher grade blue label examples!

I'll have to take another look at that thread