• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CL auction...

125 posts in this topic

Cap 3 is on fire. A 3.0 for $8500. More than 3x guide!

I think this was an outlier sale given that it had Joe SImon and Stan Lee's signatures. I doubt there's too many unrestored copies with both sigs (GPA shows a .5 for sale and a restored copy) and there aren't any future opportunities to get Joe Simon's sig so whatever's out there is out there.

Regardless, yes Cap 3 is a very desirable book right now.

I'm sure the consignor of the Action 59 lost big time on the other Action books he consigned too! The potential is always there to lose big time when you consign books with no reserve! EJR

Are these auctions truly no reserve? About a year ago a Catman #1 9.2 that had been in Worldwide's inventory for months sold in a CL auction for $4,100 right after it was listed as "Sale Pending" on the WW site. Then the record of it disappeared from the CL site within a few days, even though "sale pending" items usually stay up for months. I wrote to Josh for an explanation shortly after the book disappeared from the site, but I never got one. (He said he was on vacation but would look into it.)

Several months later, the book was sold by Ritter to a board member. It seems unlikely to me that Ritter would have somehow ended up with the book again if the sale were legit; it looks more like the sale did not take place. ($4,100 was a bargain price for the book, so it seems unlikely that the buyer would have backed out.)

To make a long story short, I take "no reserve" with a grain of salt.

So who's the lucky dog who won the Action #59 CGC 8.5 for $3600 less than it sold for just 3 months ago? :o

My impression was that many books went cheaply. If I hadn't sworn off buying comics for a while I would have grabbed up more books than I did :grin:

Are these auctions truly no reserve? About a year ago a Catman #1 9.2 that had been in Worldwide's inventory for months sold in a CL auction for $4,100 right after it was listed as "Sale Pending" on the WW site. Then the record of it disappeared from the CL site within a few days, even though "sale pending" items usually stay up for months. I wrote to Josh for an explanation shortly after the book disappeared from the site, but I never got one. (He said he was on vacation but would look into it.)

Several months later, the book was sold by Ritter to a board member. It seems unlikely to me that Ritter would have somehow ended up with the book again if the sale were legit; it looks more like the sale did not take place. ($4,100 was a bargain price for the book, so it seems unlikely that the buyer would have backed out.)

I've sold more than a few of my books on CL and it's always been "no reserve" on all of them.

Not Golden Age, but still interesting. The November CL auction had 9.6 copies of 80 Page Giant #11 and #14. The #11 went for $971 and the #14 went for $1355.

In last night's auction, they had 9.8 copies of the same books. The #11 went for $777, and the #14 went for $627.

So who's the lucky dog who won the Action #59 CGC 8.5 for $3600 less than it sold for just 3 months ago? :o

My impression was that many books went cheaply. If I hadn't sworn off buying comics for a while I would have grabbed up more books than I did :grin:

There were plenty of underwhelming auction results across all ages to go around. I would be very nervous consigning anything on a no reserve right now. I believe there may be a bit of auction fatigue as all three major auction houses have pretty much run their focused auctions simultaneously. I would also attribute it to the fact that the same books, and/or substantially similar books, keep coming up for sale over and over again. One randomly outlier high sale for a book and everybody thinks their book is suddenly worth that too and then dump it on the market. It just doesn't work like that. Doesn't anybody actually "collect" comics anymore? Additionally I think these auctions are just plain run for too long. Particularly heritage, with their month long auctions that mean nothing since they do a "live floor" auction right afterward. And CC which also has month long auctions. Auctions don't need to be that long. Comic link even pushes it with two weeks. A 5-7 day long auction would be more than enough as we all know 90 percent of the bidding is compressed in the first and last day of the auctions anyway. If I ran one of those big three auction houses I would seriously be looking at ways to revamp my paradigm before it fizzles out and people start finding other - and cheaper- ways to sell their books. I'm sorry, but I don't need to "pay" someone 10% to lose me money with sub part auction results.

-J.

Several of the books are ones that were purchased in a Clink auction just a couple of months ago, pressed to a higher grade, and then put back on the auction block (e.g., Action 11, Wonder Woman 1). The sad thing is that, despite the CGC upgrade, the books look worse for wear from the process IMO.

I don't know what happened in this particular instance but the behavior you observe would have been what occurred if the winning bidder reneged and the book was sent back to the consignor who later sold it. The auction house would remove the record since it was not a valid sale.

Indeed, an interesting observation and probably a simple explanation. I'd imagine that Stephen decided to place the book with the Clink auction, listed it on his site as "Sale Pending", then returned it to inventory some time after the auction due to a non-paying bidder. If this is the case, $4100 would've been an incredible bargain for the delinquent bidder, because the new owner isn't nearly so generous in pricing high-grade GA. lol

here's my modest little win; tho' not a raboy, i've got enough cap't midnights in my raboy run to justify having issue #1 [of course, comic geeks don't need a whole lotta justification].

cm1.jpg