• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Favorite Series

24 posts in this topic

I am fairly new here, as i have said in a few posts here already, and i am looking to expand my comic range. So, in the search for new good books, what are all of your favorites? I am currently big on all things Wolverine, Spiderman, and the X-Men. Lookin forward to your favs.

My favorite reads on the stands are Ultimate Spidey and the Ultimates. I didn't think I'd like the Ultimates, because I never much liked the Avengers; but this new version of those guys is pretty rockin'.

My favorite read from the last 10 years was Preacher. Any of the Garth Ennis Punishers are great too.

If you're talking current series...

League of extra-ordinary Gentlemen vol2 is kick-[!@#%^&^],best book out there right now.

Hellboy

Y, the Last man (Vertigo)

Ultimate Spider-man

Ultimates

Lucifer (Vertigo)

100 Bullets (Vertigo)

Hulk

Rising Stars

Does no one here like Exiles?? It's a fun enough book... a little "What If", a little "Suicide Squad"...

And, thus far, I agree with most everyone else's choices... though I think that USM is waaaaaaaay overhyped and I'm not sure that anyone's mentioned Fables yet?

If you like wolverine, spiderman, X-men, I really think you'd enjoy JLA. Apparently a lot of "friends of old marvel" readers latched onto that book. Elektra is great cause it looks like she's returning from the dark side. Of the 20 or 25 new comics I read every month, don't enjoy anything like Elektra. It's always the book I read first. grin.gif

Here's some suggestions along the lines of what you're reading now:

Exiles---Cute concept for a book and the art and stories have been enjoyable enough. I like the no limits aspect of dealing with alternate realities. Only drawback is the fact that it's getting kicked up to $2.99 by Marvel at which point I may drop it in favor of just getting the Trade Paper Backs.

Ultimate books---If you're into alternate realities, or new takes on your favorite characters, then give Ultimate Spider-man, Ultimate X-men, and The Ultimates a look. Of the three, Ultimates is probably the best book right now and Spidey's probably the best book from beginning to present. The only complaint here is the fact that the talent behind the books needs to start coming up with some fresh ideas if the intent is to continue these titles well into the future. Rehashing the history of the original books can only go so far.

Now here's some suggestions that probably don't fall in with what you're currently into (but you should try anyway to expand your horizons):

Fables---This is a terrific book from Vertigo. I've had a gread deal of fun with each issue and am waiting with bated breath for the next ish to see what happens to Snow White.

Y, Last Man---This has to be the most original concept for a comic book that I have seen in many many years. All the males on the planet except two (a boy and his monkey) have died from a mysterious plague and the comic book follows the surviving males around in their quest to save the world. Trust me, it's the only comic book you'll find militant widows, severe self-mutilating fascist feminists, super models making ends meet by picking up the corpses of the deceased males, and much more fun.

Powers---If you like super-heroes, then you'll like Powers, a book that focuses on the lives of two homicide cops in the "Powers" department whose sole purpose is investigating and solving the crimes committed by and against the plentiful super-powered folks in the world.

American Century---This is the only comic book I know of that has absolutely no elements of the fantastic in it. There are no super-powers, no magical and occult arts, no fairy tale creatures, and no Y chromosome-icide plagues. It is simply the adventures of a 1950s war veteran that checks out of his hapless and dead-end life and travels the globe in the search of adventure (and babes).

That's all for now. Enjoy.

Black Panther still continues to be the best book on the market as far as I'm concerned. Christopher Priest is easily the most unheralded writer on the marvel staff.

I've heard he might be taking over Iron Man, as well. If he does - that would be worth a read.

New X-Men kinda sucks, and Uncanny X-Men seems to be getting better - but I don't really branch out much when it comes to new comic reading.

I assume we are talking new books, here are my current faves:

Amazing Spider-Man ( JMS is doing a good job on the writting chores/Romita Jr is turning into Ditko)

The Ultimates (Good modern twist on the Avengers and the best Ultimate line book)

Daredevil (Good strong storytelling by Bendis and gritty art by Maleev)

100 Bullets (Great book if you like gritty noir style stories/ good alternative to superhero books)

My favorite books out today:

Powers

Daredevil

Fables

The recently cancelled Supergirl ([!@#%^&^]!!!)

League of Extrordinary Gentlemen 2

Promethea

Fantastic Four is decent

Ultimates

I really really really like Alias (the Bendis book)- very intelligent and well written. The art sucks, but I think it works for the book. I also like the Waid FF, it is FINALLY written right. I like ASM, but the whole Mary Jane storyline is getting too drawn out. Punisher is fun, over the top, mindless violence. I like League of Extraordinary Gentlemen as well, but don't count it as it is continually late.

I think Alias is tying into non-Max Marvel as well as Jessica Jones has been spotted in DD 42 and they maybe trying to hook Jessica up romantically with the Hero du jour? and the whole MGH storyline is tying into plots in /Uncanny and Nex X-men.

Aren't these "gimmicks" telltale signs of the looming doom of cancellation? I like the title as well (too many gratuitous "F" words in the latest issue, but that never hurt no one wink.gif ) but it maybe a shortlived read?

Aren't these "gimmicks" telltale signs of the looming doom of cancellation?

I hope not darth. I think that Alias is one of the best books Marvel currently puts out. It adds an interesting twist to the superhero genre.

I would not like to see it cancelled.

Yes, fairly old news by now. #80 is the last issue. PAD devoted at least one of his CBG columns to the subject. You might check out newsarama.com for some of the details.

Cheers,

Z.

Dan and I were talking about those gimmicks - for example, there was a power pack iss# ?? where the cover had Wolverine (with hands and claws crossed in an X), Ghost-rider, spiderman, hulk, everyone and their mutant mothers pretty much spelling out the end of that series.

Blowout - I agree with you and think that Alias is the cream of the Max line (well until Rawhide Kid came out tongue.gif ) and i'd be a shame to see it go. I think tho that people need to start confusing this book as related to the hit ABC TV series starring Jennifer Garner and "accidentally" realize what a great book this is when they pick it up.

I really wish they wouldn't tie Alias too much into the regular Marvel universe. It is just an outstanding book, and the cheapening of it will iriritate me. Not knowing much about Jessica Jones is a good thing. The JJJ "album" issue was just tremendous, one of the best books I've read in a LONG time!

I go for the art much more than for the story, which is why I probably won`t fit into the common comic reader`s pattern.

So my favorites are:

- the Daredevil run by Alex Maleev (#26-37, #41-?). His style is wonderfully dark, gritty, tight and still accurate and realistic proportionwise

-"the Ankh" and "the Chalice" with art by John Van Fleet

-"Fables" I would love if I read it

-I like "Red Star" with that cute Makita girl smile.gif just started reading it though

The JJJ "album" issue was just tremendous, one of the best books I've read in a LONG time!

Have to agree here Donut, that was one of the best of the run so far.

I urge anyone looking to pick up a new book to try out Alias. cool.gif