• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vault of Horror 12 9.4 Northford Pedigree

36 posts in this topic

Wow, it has been listed on there for awhile. If I remember correctly, it was originally at $24k, and had come down to maybe $21k, but can't remember for sure. Had I even dreamed an offer of $14k would have taken it (single highest graded copy), I would have offered it awhile ago. Nice pickup to whoever got it!

Wow, it has been listed on there for awhile. If I remember correctly, it was originally at $24k, and had come down to maybe $21k, but can't remember for sure. Had I even dreamed an offer of $14k would have taken it (single highest graded copy), I would have offered it awhile ago. Nice pickup to whoever got it!

I think the last price I saw it listed at was $19.5k or so. The fact that there was no scan was unusual for a book that pricey. Like I said, I hope whoever bought it got one first!

I know Overstreet lists that book as scarce, but how likely do you think it is that another NM (or better) copy is out there in the wild? That would be my main concern with buying that copy as the single highest graded (currently).

Well, the next highest graded copy, which is the lone Gaines copy in 9.2, sold for $29,900 back in the spring of 2002. Now that was the peak of the EC market, but if you believe the Heritage site, an offer was made on it for $40k in 2011, but was apparently declined. That copy appears to reside in Jim Halperin's collection, and unlikely it will go anywhere soon. So, I would maintain that if this Northford 9.4 copy did sell at $14k as shown on Comiclink, it was at the minimum a good buy, or in my estimation a great buy.

There can always be more high grade copies out there of any given book, but there aren't any available now, and apparently haven't been in awhile. Gaines himself looked for years trying to complete the sets for his kids without any significant luck and I think he was on that quest in the '70's and later if not earlier according to Bruce in Madison, WI where he stopped in with that request while visiting Kathy way back when.

Well, the next highest graded copy, which is the lone Gaines copy in 9.2, sold for $29,900 back in the spring of 2002. Now that was the peak of the EC market, but if you believe the Heritage site, an offer was made on it for $40k in 2011, but was apparently declined. That copy appears to reside in Jim Halperin's collection, and unlikely it will go anywhere soon. So, I would maintain that if this Northford 9.4 copy did sell at $14k as shown on Comiclink, it was at the minimum a good buy, or in my estimation a great buy.

There can always be more high grade copies out there of any given book, but there aren't any available now, and apparently haven't been in awhile. Gaines himself looked for years trying to complete the sets for his kids without any significant luck and I think he was on that quest in the '70's and later if not earlier according to Bruce in Madison, WI where he stopped in with that request while visiting Kathy way back when.

:o

You sir are always a fountain of knowledge. I knew that there was only one Gaines copy but wasn't aware of the details behind it. Makes me happy I was able to grab mine when I did!

Congratulations Mitch on scoring your copy. You didn't happen to buy that CGC 6.5 double cover that was floating around for a little while, did you? Had my eye on that one. Definitely one of the toughest EC's to get in decent grade and one of my missing 17 issues from the New Trend, New Direction and Picto-Fiction eras.

I had never realized how rare this book was in high grade until I saw this post and did a little research. I think 14k is a steal for that book. Jim halperin appears to love his EC's because he has a hell of a collection of them.

metro owned that book for awhile.

i never understood the draw to this book. one of the real lackluster covers in the series imho.

$14k without a scan! Hopefully the buyer got one privately prior to the sale. Has anyone ever seen this copy? Did anyone here buy it? :grin:

VOH 12 Sale on CLink

I've always been a fan of the book. One of the great pre-code books, and as important as any other.

i never understood the draw to this book. one of the real lackluster covers in the series imho.

$14k without a scan! Hopefully the buyer got one privately prior to the sale. Has anyone ever seen this copy? Did anyone here buy it? :grin:

VOH 12 Sale on CLink

I've always been a fan of the book. One of the great pre-code books, and as important as any other.

+1

The issue has significance as the first EC Horror book (along with COT 17), not necessarily because of the cover. But it brings up an interesting point, that much of the demand in ECs these days is driven by the cover (and less by the stories within) 2c

VOH 12 Sale on CLink

+1

The issue has significance as the first EC Horror book (along with COT 17), not necessarily because of the cover. But it brings up an interesting point, that much of the demand in ECs these days is driven by the cover (and less by the stories within) 2c

These seems to be true for Atlas as well IMHO.

VOH 12 Sale on CLink

+1

..... with the one exception being that the typical Atlas cover is FAR superior to the typical E.C. cover ( except of course, those few Ingles beauties) :baiting: GOD BLESS....

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

P.S. Weren't there less than 12 Gaines Files of VOH 12 ?

Edited by jimjum12

VOH 12 Sale on CLink

+1

..... with the one exception being that the typical Atlas cover is FAR superior to the typical E.C. cover ( except of course, those few Ingles beauties) :baiting: GOD BLESS....

From what we've read, there apparently was only one.

.... in my laziness, I neglected to read the first page of the thread :boo: ....I'll never make it to the Board Room at this rate.... GOD BLESS...

VOH 12 Sale on CLink

+1

From what we've read, there apparently was only one.

And it's my understanding that even the one file copy may have been purchased after the fact by Mr. Gaines. I'm sure Steve will correct me on that if I'm wrong lol

.... from what I've seen of Northfords, I'd bet your copy is going to be nicer than the Gaines..... but then, I've never actually seen a GFC outside of it's slab. GOD BLESS...

.... from what I've seen of Northfords, I'd bet your copy is going to be nicer than the Gaines..... but then, I've never actually seen a GFC outside of it's slab. GOD BLESS...

I wish this one was mine! But alas I was just calling attention to the sale. I do have a couple of EC Northfords though, and they are very nice (thumbs u