• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watched Thor:Dark World Last Night.

107 posts in this topic

Man, these Marvel films are getting worse. Hope Winter Soldier is better. I say skip the solo flix and just do Avenger movies.

The Collector made me nauseous. Terrible interpretation of the character.

Got it on Blu-ray. Holds up quite well apart from a couple of the Jane Foster / Darcy scenes, which drag a bit in places. Good film.

I thought Thor Dark World was great. To each his own

+1

Ya, I enjoyed it. When I watch a super-hero movie, I try to enjoy them for what they are. Action movies with super-heroes. It's not a matter of low expectations. For me at least, it's a matter of not expecting the height of pathos, tragicomedy, Oscar performances, or the like.

I thought Thor was the weakest of the solo movies, so I wasnt surprised that the sequel was about the same. Captain America & Iron Man had better first movies for sure. I think Hemsworth is a fine actor, but the Thor mythos is a tough one to ground in the Marvel universe (or at least tougher than the other ones)... also it's the only one they let stray from the Marvel origin...

more...

I think they had to force it with Thor to pull off the "solo movies leading to a team movie" model... and it just didnt work.

I'd have rather seen a Hawkeye movie, or a Hawkeye/Black Widow movie over Thor 2... (especially if they had used some of the Fraction Hawkeye for inspiration)

+1, it was superb, i wasnt coming down against it, just pointing out that the audiences are voting with their dollars. A thor movie matching a superman movie that the studio went all in on, very impressive.

+1, it was superb, i wasnt coming down against it, just pointing out that the audiences are voting with their dollars. A Thor movie matching a superman movie that the studio went all in on, very impressive.

not to play devil's advocate.. but a Thor movie coming on the heels of the biggest super hero movie of all time (The Avengers) should expect to do well... And it fell $85m short of Man of Steel (thats like 25-30% less)

Thor outdid the first movie by $20+m, but to me that was a disappointing bump coming after the raging success of the Avengers movie. I would have thought it would have closed clsoer to $300m

In order, here are the grosses

Iron Man 1 $318m (may'08)

Iron Man 2 $312m (May'10)

Thor 1$183m (May'11)

Captain America $176m (July'11)

Avengers $623m (May'12)

Iron Man 3 409m (May'13)

Thor 2 $206m (Nov'13)

Iron Man enjoyed a $100m bump coming after the Avengers movie. Thor 2 only had a $20m bump. I'm very curious to see how Winter Soldier does. Obviously it needs to match Thor 2, but with the push it is getting (and how great it looks) I think it could get $250m (though a summer release would have helped

I think the first Thor movie actually hurt Captain America... two Marvel hero movies in the same summer, and leading with the underwhelming Thor might have pulled some viewers away from the Cap movie (being a "period" movie might have hurt it a bit too)

The Thor movies have been my favorite of the solo movies. When you consider what a train wreck any Thor movie "should" be, it's a small miracle what they've accomplished.

The casting has been near flawless.

Getting the perfect actor to play Thor is definitely a feather in their cap, but add on top of that they knocked it out of the park with Loki and Odin.....slam dunk.

For the price of a Netflix disc borrow I was entertained and enjoyed it. That's all I ask of movies of this genre; entertain me.

...not to play devil's advocate.. but a Thor movie coming on the heels of the biggest super hero movie of all time (The Avengers) should expect to do well...

The Marvel films are starting to feel a bit formulaic to me. I felt there was more crossover between the scripting of Iron Man 3 and Thor 2, especially the addition of more humour, which did prove very lucrative - twice in a row.

I just watched it this past weekend, too. The missus and I thought it was better than the first; not an A+ Oscar nominee but a solid, worthwhile 2 hours of entertainment. I don’t see any issues with translating Thor to the screen; it’s not a far cry from LOTR. The biggest problem seems endemic to most of the Marvel movies: trying to cram too many characters is and making the film a bit disjointed.

The Collector did look odd, but it was a pretty faithful translation of the comic book version, plus that scene was only the post-movie setup for the next one he’ll appear in. It was what, 2 minutes of the entire movie?

I had no interest in the comic character until I saw how the cinematic character of Thor fits into the Marvel Universe.

more...

I'd have rather seen a Hawkeye movie, or a Hawkeye/Black Widow movie over Thor 2... (especially if they had used some of the Fraction Hawkeye for inspiration)

I would rather see a Thor movie, these are not my favorite characters.

My 13 year old daughter wanted to see this movie, because of Chris Hemsworth. So I watched it with her.

I agree about The Collector..... :boo: