• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watched Thor:Dark World Last Night.

107 posts in this topic

Marvel :cloud9:

Really? I'm shocked! :ohnoez:

Anyway I watched this over the weekend and its still enjoyable on the 2nd viewing and much better in 2D.

Thor 2 made up for the awful Iron Man 3.

Didn't you enjoy the first half of Iron Man 3?

I just finished watching it. Not as bad as IRON MAN 3, but a highly disappointing product as far as I'm concerned.

What was the point of this movie in the greater scheme of the MARVEL movie universe? All it did was introduce another infinity gem, albeit during a final credits scene no less. I'm assuming it's the "aether" stuff, which by the way was awkwardly explained in my opinion. Some red stuff created by the dark elves to somehow bring darkness to the 9 worlds, or something like that...

And the kursed? Sacrifice yourself by "dying" to become some immensely powerful creature? Where is the sacrifice in doing that? Maybe I missed something.

So much of the movie seemed to be of the "just because" variety, and the nonsense with Darcy made me think of Jar-Jar... Speaking of Jar-Jar I felt like I was watching STAR WARS meets LORD OF THE RINGS.

I do have a geek question for all of you. It seems established that the Asgardians et al. are not divine entities, but alien races with highly advanced technology, who just seem to have an affinity for wielding swords and such by the way. So, in other words they have no powers per se, instead they seem to use technology, and not divine powers or magic. Am I correct thus far? If so, how does Loki generate illusions? If the source was technology-based I would assume that this source would be confiscated when he is taken into custody. Once again, perhaps I've missed something... Please explain. I'm sure someone has an explanation or can correct me.

Thanks!

I'm assuming it's the "aether" stuff, which by the way was awkwardly explained in my opinion. Some red stuff created by the dark elves to somehow bring darkness to the 9 worlds, or something like that...

Too much like the red matter from Star Trek. Creating singularities there, or dark matter from conventional matter in the case of Aether - same basic science-fictional plot idea.

.... how does Loki generate illusions? If the source was technology-based I would assume that this source would be confiscated when he is taken into custody. Once again, perhaps I've missed something... Please explain. I'm sure someone has an explanation or can correct me...

Frigga taught him his magical / illusion abilities. That's as far as it gets explained in a deleted scene on the Blu-ray, a scene which should've been retained in the film - it's quite good. There's no scientific / technological explanation. It would've been just as easy to explain all of the abilities you see in the film - Loki's, Thor's, Heimdall's, as mutant in origin. After all, Loki's ability is pretty much identical to that of Mastermind / Jason Wyngarde.

I'm assuming it's the "aether" stuff, which by the way was awkwardly explained in my opinion. Some red stuff created by the dark elves to somehow bring darkness to the 9 worlds, or something like that...

Too much like the red matter from Star Trek. Creating singularities there, or dark matter from conventional matter in the case of Aether - same basic science-fictional plot idea.

.... how does Loki generate illusions? If the source was technology-based I would assume that this source would be confiscated when he is taken into custody. Once again, perhaps I've missed something... Please explain. I'm sure someone has an explanation or can correct me...

Frigga taught him his magical / illusion abilities. That's as far as it gets explained in a deleted scene on the Blu-ray, a scene which should've been retained in the film - it's quite good. There's no scientific / technological explanation. It would've been just as easy to explain all of the abilities you see in the film - Loki's, Thor's, Heimdall's, as mutant in origin. After all, Loki's ability is pretty much identical to that of Mastermind / Jason Wyngarde.

(thumbs u

Thanks!

Yeah, they should have kept that scene in. But how does Frigga do it? I thought the "illusion" scenes with her in Loki's cell and Jane with Malekith were holograms, and not illusions.

I also assume Heimdall's eyes are some sort of cybernetic implants.

In the end I'm confused as a viewer with all things pertaining to the Asgardians et al. because the line between science, magic, and superpowers is anything but clear to me.

Could be holographic technology or a mutant, psychic / telepathic projection ability? Whatever it is, the film version of the Nine Worlds seems to have a lot more pseudoscience than magic. (thumbs u