• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watched Thor:Dark World Last Night.

107 posts in this topic

... the Thor mythos is a tough one to ground in the Marvel universe (or at least tougher than the other ones)... also it's the only one they let stray from the Marvel origin...

That's right. More of an emphasis on the Asgardians being aliens rather than gods, with a lot more science-fictional advanced tech this time, without being too specific, rather than just archaic-looking enchanted weaponry. More Star Wars than Skyrim in places.

I thought Thor Dark World was great. To each his own

+1, it was superb, i wasnt coming down against it, just pointing out that the audiences are voting with their dollars. A Thor movie matching a superman movie that the studio went all in on, very impressive.

not to play devil's advocate.. but a Thor movie coming on the heels of the biggest super hero movie of all time (The Avengers) should expect to do well... And it fell $85m short of Man of Steel (thats like 25-30% less)

Thor outdid the first movie by $20+m, but to me that was a disappointing bump coming after the raging success of the Avengers movie. I would have thought it would have closed clsoer to $300m

In order, here are the grosses

Iron Man 1 $318m (may'08)

Iron Man 2 $312m (May'10)

Thor 1$183m (May'11)

Captain America $176m (July'11)

Avengers $623m (May'12)

Iron Man 3 409m (May'13)

Thor 2 $206m (Nov'13)

Iron Man enjoyed a $100m bump coming after the Avengers movie. Thor 2 only had a $20m bump. I'm very curious to see how Winter Soldier does. Obviously it needs to match Thor 2, but with the push it is getting (and how great it looks) I think it could get $250m (though a summer release would have helped

I think the first Thor movie actually hurt Captain America... two Marvel hero movies in the same summer, and leading with the underwhelming Thor might have pulled some viewers away from the Cap movie (being a "period" movie might have hurt it a bit too)

Thor 2 did get a significant bump from Avengers, though. It just was reflected in international grosses.

Thor international - $268.3 million

Thor 2 international - $435.3 million

I thought Thor Dark World was great. To each his own

+1, it was superb, i wasnt coming down against it, just pointing out that the audiences are voting with their dollars. A Thor movie matching a superman movie that the studio went all in on, very impressive.

not to play devil's advocate.. but a Thor movie coming on the heels of the biggest super hero movie of all time (The Avengers) should expect to do well... And it fell $85m short of Man of Steel (thats like 25-30% less)

Thor outdid the first movie by $20+m, but to me that was a disappointing bump coming after the raging success of the Avengers movie. I would have thought it would have closed clsoer to $300m

In order, here are the grosses

Thor 1$183m (May'11)

Avengers $623m (May'12)

Iron Man 3 409m (May'13)

Thor 2 $206m (Nov'13)

Iron Man enjoyed a $100m bump coming after the Avengers movie. Thor 2 only had a $20m bump. I'm very curious to see how Winter Soldier does. Obviously it needs to match Thor 2, but with the push it is getting (and how great it looks) I think it could get $250m (though a summer release would have helped

I think the first Thor movie actually hurt Captain America... two Marvel hero movies in the same summer, and leading with the underwhelming Thor might have pulled some viewers away from the Cap movie (being a "period" movie might have hurt it a bit too)

Good points. I totally agree.

Additionally, you couldn't have asked for an easier opening weekend for Thor: The Dark World. Here are the #2-5 slots on it's opening weekend.

2. person_too_unaware_of_social_graces Presents: Bad Grandpa – $11.3 million

3. Free Birds – $11.2 million

4. Last Vegas – $11.1 million

5. Ender’s Game – $10.3 million

In Thor's second week The Best Man Holiday (look it up) nearly pulled off an unexpected dethroning with a $6 mill difference between the two films. No other notable new films that weekend.

If there was a box office analytic similar to the NBA's SOS (strength of schedule), that would be like playing the Philadelphia 76er's for two weeks straight.

In Thor's third week, The Hunger Games: Catching Fire utterly destroyed Thor's box office hold. That's not an excuse for Thor's underwhelming box office take, at a mere $14.1 million it's clearly indicative of a film that under performed and did not resonate with audiences as intended.

Thank Odin for a strong international showing.

I had no interest in the comic character until I saw how the cinematic character of Thor fits into the Marvel Universe.

This.

Prior to the Avengers movie, the only Thor books I ever bought were 186 (awesome Doom cover) and Thor: Vikings (because Ennis wrote it).

Now, I kinda want a JIM 83 and 85.

I enjoyed it quite alot, except for the last minute addition scene of the Collector.

I'd prefer the film not to have been set on Earth at the end, with all these worlds the battle should have taken place elsewhere.

more...

I think they had to force it with Thor to pull off the "solo movies leading to a team movie" model... and it just didnt work.

I'd have rather seen a Hawkeye movie, or a Hawkeye/Black Widow movie over Thor 2... (especially if they had used some of the Fraction Hawkeye for inspiration)

I would also like to see a Hawkeye/Black Widow movie.

I thought it was okay. I prefer the first one, though.

Did anyone watch the "All Hail the King" one-shot? That was hilarious, especially the Justin Hammer cameos during the credits. Also... Set-up for Iron Man 4?

The real Mandarin seems like he's pretty pissed about Trevor stealing his name...

I watched it this weekend for the 2nd time. Fell asleep. It suffers from a lack of people wanting to repeat view it (like Avengers). Thor 2 was really a letdown compared to the first one. But, Marvel can't hit a home run every time - what fun would that be?

I hope Winter Soldier is going to be as great as it looks and I truly believe GotG will be fun.

Loved it. Thor is my favorite Marvel character and they really got him right in all the movies so far imo.

I thought he should have held his own against Kurse better but I like how Loki dispatched of the monster too.

The things that Loki said as Odin made no sense to me though but I'll let it slide. Not too critical of stuff like that, it's a popcorn superhero flick.

The Dark World was wayyyy better than the first Thor movie (that looked to be done on the cheap).

However, the inter-dimensional bedroom farce scene at the end of Dark World sobered things up for me awfully fast.

It left me wanting for more. Can't wait to see what direct they will go with Thor #3. Will it be and epic storyline that further explores the history and legends of Asgard [surtur for example] or will it be a cheese ball earth based story that falls flat? The actor playing Heimdal really has become more than just one of the supporting characters and has really done a great job.

I enjoyed the second one. It was a fun movie and it kept me entertained. I actually also bought the Bluray and rewatched it with the kids.

I don't get why people are forcing these movies to be life changing movies. They are meant to be fun action flicks. They are too. I wasn't bored and I could see us watching it again.

Peoples expectations are a bit high, I think. Just enjoy the movies.

Thor 1$183m (May'11)

Avengers $623m (May'12)

Iron Man 3 409m (May'13)

Thor 2 $206m (Nov'13)

In Order by over/under budget domestic:

Avengers +$403 million

Iron Man 3 +$209 million

Iron Man +$178 million

Iron Man 2 +112 million

Thor 2 +$36 million

Captain America - +$36 million

Thor +$31 million

In Order by Additional Foreign Gross:

Avengers $895 million

Iron Man 3 $806 million

Thor 2 $435 million

Iron Man 2 $311 million

Thor $268 million

Iron Man $266 million

Captain America - $193 million

Looks to me like Thor 2 did about what they expected and then has really surprised them at the response outside the U.S. Better foreign numbers than the first two Iron Man movies!

I, and the girlfriend, both enjoyed it a lot. Saw it in the theater and and a second time at home last week. Perfect for what it is!

And once Chuck has been seen, he cannot be unseen! ;)

I thought every character was terrific EXCEPT for Thor. These other characters made it a great movie to me.

(P.S. Does a new thread need to be created every time someone watches a movie months after everyone else?)