• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Watched Thor:Dark World Last Night.

107 posts in this topic

I don't know what some of you think you are watching, but I am seeing the characters from my childhood (the 90's and some of you waited much longer than I) being brought to life on the biggest stage of them all for the whole world to see. From I wish to a reality. Now instead of collecting next issue comics Marvel is allowing you to have a to be continued comic book movie collection in continuity.

Agree with almost your entire post (I thinks it's ok to critique them), but I really like the above. You're spot on.

I think that's one of the reasons I love the Avengers movie so much. For me, it really was the comic books come to life. I thought the first two Spidey's were that way as well (but not quite on par with Avengers)

The Nolan Bats trilogy is great too, but they feel like action/suspense movies about comic book characters.

With The Avengers I felt like I was watching a comic book. If that makes any sense.

Yes.

Man, these Marvel films are getting worse. Hope Winter Soldier is better. I say skip the solo flix and just do Avenger movies.

The Collector made me nauseous. Terrible interpretation of the character.

Winter Soldier can’t be better by any means.

The whole idea, and its timing, just deprives Captain America human history of meaning, poignancy, sense. Mostly because of how unlikely it it, but also how it has been handled. Poorness on all levels.

What?

Can't we all just sit back and enjoy the ride without nit picking every single thing about these movies. (shrug)

Aren't you the one that said X-Men: DoFP was going to be a steaming pile of a mess?

hm

i loved it i just pick apart everything

except cap america and avengers-those were perfect

iron man 2,3 sucked due to if everyone has an iron man suit then he's no big deal...

How does any of these Marvel movies suck?

Sorry when people say this I just scratch my head. :screwy:

:news: Iron Man, Cap, Thor, and the Avengers were B+ players before 2008, and because of Marvel Studios they are now A list red carpet show stoppers.

Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America do not have the deep villain rogue gallery (the most important factor in comic books) as A+ players Batman, Superman, X-men, and Spider-man have at their disposal.

In all the Marvel Studio movies did:

a credible actor/actress dawn the role of one of your favorite hero or villain?

Hulk smash and wreck spoon?

Thor throw his hammer?

CAP fight Nazis and throw his shield a bunch?

Iron Man fly and use his armor to blow stuff up?

Answer is yes! :headbang:

I don't know what some of you think you are watching, but I am seeing the characters from my childhood (the 90's and some of you waited much longer than I) being brought to life on the biggest stage of them all for the whole world to see. From I wish to a reality. Now instead of collecting next issue comics Marvel is allowing you to have a to be continued comic book movie collection in continuity.

In the 1990's all this was just a pipe-dream, however thanks to Blade (1998) we are seeing these creators/artists/writers finally getting the recognition they deserve in creating American classic folklore.

I remember getting the Wizard magazine and reading the hypothetical "Who would play" these characters in the what if movie section. Now the what ifs are replaced with who is rumored to have gotten the role.

Can't we all just sit back and enjoy the ride without nit picking every single thing about these movies. (shrug)

Great post. ^^

Also these Marvel movies are 1,000,000 times better then any Marvel, DC or independent comic book I have read these 20 last years.

In fact the comic book editors, writers and artists should use these as a bookmark on how to tell great entertaining and fun stories.

The same with Man of Steel was better then any Superman comic book I have ever read! (thumbs u

I don`t get all the nitpicking about all these superhero movies.

Just enjoy the ride! :cloud9:

The climate and ambience of Svartalfheim is very reminiscent of a bright, summer's day in Salford, England, where Christopher Eccleston, Malekith, is originally from. Coincidence? hm

I don`t get all the nitpicking about all these superhero movies.
We just finished Academy Award season. A lot of prestigious films have bombarded us since the Fall. Basically, funnybook movies were shut out again. Even if the mainstream thinks the Oscars are for old fogeys, there is a certain type of hype they do for what is selected, that touches in our sub conscience and a disappointment factor sets in. My 2c

Just enjoy the ride! :cloud9:
Alright, alright, alriiiiight. ;)

I liked Thor 2, almost as much as the first one. I also enjoyed Iron Man 2 and 3 though I don't think they're as good as the first one.

Winter Soldier looks decent, I'll go see it but I'm not stocked about it.

I think Marvel Studios has done an excellent job of capturing the experience of the average comic book: fun, exciting but mostly forgettable.

When I go to see a Marvel movie, I'm not expecting an above average comic experience - Dark Knight Returns or Watchmen or anything like that.

But that's not to say that I think these movies are beyond criticism either. Just as I don't enjoy a sub-par comic, I don't enjoy a bad movie either.

I liked Thor 2, almost as much as the first one. I also enjoyed Iron Man 2 and 3 though I don't think they're as good as the first one.

I think Marvel Studios has done an excellent job of capturing the experience of the average comic book: fun, exciting but mostly forgettable.

When I go to see a Marvel movie, I'm not expecting an above average comic experience - Dark Knight Returns or Watchmen or anything like that.

But that's not to say that I think these movies are beyond criticism either. Just as I don't enjoy a sub-par comic, I don't enjoy a bad movie either.

Odd that you mention DKR and Watchmen, as both were poor adaptions. Best Batman movie in my opinion is Batman Begins.

Watchmen forgot that the medium was a movie and not a graphic novel. I was familiar with the story and found it hard to follow.

The only good thing about DKR was Marion Cottilard (sp?). There was too much mumbling... :roflmao:

And no it's not a DC thing...there are lots of good movies from Warner Bros., those just aren't examples.

Aren't you the one that said X-Men: DoFP was going to be a steaming pile of a mess?

hm

Well that is because I am still waiting to see a "real" Wolverine or Magneto on the screen.

Nothing about those movies have any thing to do with the comic book version of the X-men.

Ghost Rider gave me more of what I wanted than any of the X-men films.

hm

Well that is because I am still waiting to see a "real" Wolverine or Magneto on the screen.

Nothing about those movies have any thing to do with the comic book version of the X-men.

Ghost Rider gave me more of what I wanted than any of the X-men films.

Can you define what you mean by 'real'?

:news: Iron Man, Cap, Thor, and the Avengers were B+ players before 2008, and because of Marvel Studios they are now A list red carpet show stoppers.

Iron Man, Thor, and Captain America do not have the deep villain rogue gallery (the most important factor in comic books) as A+ players Batman, Superman, X-men, and Spider-man have at their disposal.

Thor throw his hammer?

In the 1990's all this was just a pipe-dream, however thanks to Blade (1998) we are seeing these creators/artists/writers finally getting the recognition they deserve in creating American classic folklore.

I remember getting the Wizard magazine and reading the hypothetical "Who would play" these characters in the what if movie section. Now the what ifs are replaced with who is rumored to have gotten the role.

You don't need to nitpick to find flaws with Iron Man 2 or 3, those movies were pretty terrible from top to bottom. Just because someone managed to transfer stories and characters from comics to the big screen while actually utilizing the source material doesn't mean the end result is good or should be free from criticism.

Considering how well RDJ has played the Iron Man character, everyone else involved, particularly the writers, has pretty much dropped the ball with that trilogy after the first movie.

I really enjoyed Thor: The Dark World when I watched it for the first time two Saturdays ago. :applause:

It was just a pocorn flick with big booms and funny funnies ("Mew Mew!" or "Where did all these shoes come from?". That's all I was expecting. Mission accomplished. :D

I tend to root for all funnybook movies or documentaries. I'm grateful for what I'm getting to watch now. When I was a kid, all you could expect from the Spider-Man TV production was someone pulling Nicolas Hammond up the side of a building on a rope as he pretended to climb or a bodybuilder in green greasepaint on the Hulk show. What little media experience that I did get of Thor back in the 80's was that Trial of the Hulk TV movie with Thor and Daredevil ( lol ) and the mechanic in Adventures in Babysitting.

Thor throw his hammer?

You don't need to nitpick to find flaws with Iron Man 2 or 3, those movies were pretty terrible from top to bottom. Just because someone managed to transfer stories and characters from comics to the big screen while actually utilizing the source material doesn't mean the end result is good or should be free from criticism.

Considering how well RDJ has played the Iron Man character, everyone else involved, particularly the writers, has pretty much dropped the ball with that trilogy after the first movie.

Most Iron Man comics through the ages weren't that good so what were you expecting from the movies?

Its not like IM or Thor have an abundance of classic story-lines to choice from.

Most Iron Man comics through the ages weren't that good so what were you expecting from the movies?

Its not like IM or Thor have an abundance of classic story-lines to choice from.

Having never read an Iron Man book in my life I can say I went into each Iron Man movie with no expectations. This didn't prevent me from watching the latter two installments and finding them to be at best average.

I'm pretty sure that a decent Hollywood writer could come up with a competent 2 hour movie --script when his source material is a character that has been around for 50 years and has thousands of pages written about him. Or at least I would hope that they could.

And you mentioned before how one of the problems is that Iron Man doesn't have a deep rogues gallery for the screen writers to utilize. The Mandarin for the first half or so of the third Iron Man movie seemed more than capable of being a worthy foe in that film, before they got cute and screwed it all up. In fact the Mandarin was a perfect foe for that installment as they depicted him as being this mythical Bin Laden type figure which is very much relevant to the world today.

If I wanted to nitpick the movie I would mention how there is too much Gwyneth Paltrow, or that they didn't have the balls to make Tony an alcoholic, or that they made another superhero movie where they shoehorn in a small child character who shouldn't be part of the storyline at all.

Odd that you mention DKR and Watchmen, as both were poor adaptions. Best Batman movie in my opinion is Batman Begins.

Watchmen forgot that the medium was a movie and not a graphic novel. I was familiar with the story and found it hard to follow.

The only good thing about DKR was Marion Cottilard (sp?). There was too much mumbling... :roflmao:

And no it's not a DC thing...there are lots of good movies from Warner Bros., those just aren't examples.

Sorry, I should have clarified. My reference to DKR and Watchman was to the comics, not the movies.

Marvel :cloud9:

Really? I'm shocked! :ohnoez:

Anyway I watched this over the weekend and its still enjoyable on the 2nd viewing and much better in 2D.

Thor 2 made up for the awful Iron Man 3.

Thor 2 made up for the awful Iron Man 3.

I have to agree. I enjoyed Thor: The Dark World much more than I did Iron Man 3. And this movie had a few actors from 'The 13th Warrior' movie that have played Vikings in the past, including the actor portraying Bor (Odin's father) and Tyr (Odin's other son).

Chris Evans showing up as a Loki incarnation of Captain America was a funny scene.