• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Help Me Decide

33 posts in this topic

Not sure if this is an appropriate post or not - sorry if it isn't :)

I am having a hard time deciding on the next purchase. I am deciding between a CGC 2.0 copy of X-Men 1 vs a CGC 8.5 copy of Hulk 181. Price is a factor and the X-Men 1 is the cheaper option by a couple hundred compared to the IH 181.

I have always wanted a copy of IH 181 as Wolverine is my favorite individual character. However, I am a huge X-Men fan and they are easily my favorite team. To me, the X-Men 1 is the bigger key and scarcer book, but the Hulk 181 is increasing quickly in price and I feel like I may be priced out of the higher grade copies in a years time (when I will likely make the next big purchase) - although the same could be said for X-Men 1 as well.

So help me spend my money - which would you choose and why?

I think it is appropriate to post the question here.

To me, the X-Men 1 is the bigger key and scarcer book, but the Hulk 181 is increasing quickly in price and I feel like I may be priced out of the higher grade copies in a years time (when I will likely make the next big purchase) - although the same could be said for X-Men 1 as well.

Hulk 181, and this is why.

hm

If the X-men has tape on it, buy the Hulk.

No tape on the X-Men 1 (I wouldn't buy it if it did) - BUT it does have a small piece missing on the front cover (about a 1 inch irregularly shaped piece near iceman's head) so that causes me a wee bit of concern. Otherwise the book presents like a 4.0 easily.

For those of you voting X-Men 1 - would the piece missing on the front cover dissuade you or would you be willing to look past it (I guess that is what you get at the 2.0 level).

Also for those voting X-Men 1 - is it b/c it is the rarer book and bigger key?

For those advocating the Hulk 181 is it simply the rise in value issue - i.e., the fact that it will continue to rise in value thus pricing me out of the higher grade books quicker than the X-Men 1 will rise in value and pricing me out of the lower grades?

Cheers all

Not a big fan of books missing large pieces on the cover...... when you buy a "problem" comic, you will always see the problem.... it will never get "better". My advice...... if you're 35 or younger especially, get the 8.5 IH 181 ...... and then don't make another large purchase until you've saved enough money to swing a 6.5 or better X-MEN 1 ............. It'll fit nicely next to the 181... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

Not a big fan of books missing large pieces on the cover...... when you buy a "problem" comic, you will always see the problem.... it will never get "better". My advice...... if you're 35 or younger especially, get the 8.5 IH 181 ...... and then don't make another large purchase until you've saved enough money to swing a 6.5 or better X-MEN 1 ............. It'll fit nicely next to the 181... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

I agree, especially if the X-Men team you are a big fan of is the BA team and not the SA team.

While I'm not interested in either book myself, I do have a certain fondness for SA Marvel, and if I had to choose, I'd rather own an X-Men #1 than a Hulk #181, but not a beater with a chunk out of it - I'd see it every time I looked at the book and I know it would bug me. I wouldn't require a 6.5, but a 2.0 with inferior eye-appeal wouldn't cut it.

You can't go wrong with either but I would go with IH 181. Higher grade and a better investment. At such a low grade, you can look for an xmen 1 in 1 or 1.8 and get a better deal down the road. At those low grades a beater is a beater so wait for another.