• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

You think CGC will consider ever slabbing Original Art

58 posts in this topic

Unsure if this has been discussed but you guys think CGC would ever consider taking on the slabbing of Orginal Art pages. I know they will slab pages out of books and slap a NG on them. Think they will ever do that with original art or do they already that I'm unaware of. I just think it's such a high value market for these pieces and would be a great way to protect them. Thoughts?

Unsure if this has been discussed but you guys think CGC would ever consider taking on the Grading and/or slabbing of Orginal Art pages. I know they will slab pages out of books and slap a NG on them. Think they will ever do that with original art or do they already that I'm unaware of. I just think it's such a high value market for these pieces and would be a great way to protect them. Thoughts?

I think there are already more affordable ways of protecting the pieces (framed for display, the big rigid sleeves, etc) and the size (11x17 and larger) would make for some weighty, unwieldy slabs of plastic!

I get the idea, but I just dont think its practical.

Unsure if this has been discussed but you guys think CGC would ever consider taking on the Grading and/or slabbing of Orginal Art pages. I know they will slab pages out of books and slap a NG on them. Think they will ever do that with original art or do they already that I'm unaware of. I just think it's such a high value market for these pieces and would be a great way to protect them. Thoughts?

I think there are already more affordable ways of protecting the pieces (framed for display, the big rigid sleeves, etc) and the size (11x17 and larger) would make for some weighty, unwieldy slabs of plastic!

I get the idea, but I just dont think its practical.

I guess it depends on whether or not CGC ever decides to grade the Treasuries. Giant slabs of plenty.... :cloud9:

and then you get into the grey area... what are they certifying and or guaranteeing (the C and G in CGC)?

They arent going to certify the OA authenticity (since they didnt observe its creation they wouldnt be able to "witness" like with SS)

and there are some histories of counterfeit OA out there, and I dont know they'd want to wade into those waters since it probably falls outside of their current graders expertise...

I don't see them ever developing slabs for OA. Now a sleeve or simply adhering the hologram and a barcode that might be a different story.

Don't they already do something like this? hm

Why grade OA? ???

Encapsulation would present the art nicely though. (thumbs u

What he said. OA is one of a kind so the grade really doesn't matter.

Agreed with them not being grading but slabbing could be unteresting. Instead of having a NG on the label like they do with individual pages put an OA.

It's an added cost and risk to an already expensive hobby which doesn't even add value or desiribility. If anything it's just something likely to get scratched or scuffed thatt your art is sealed inside of... along with several other issues (especially for international collectors).

There might be some benefit to authenticating the artist and inker, identifying forgeries, and identifying stats and restoration. If they wrapped that up in a attractive high quality frame suitable for hanging it might make sense.

Beat me to it (thumbs u

And from a logistical point of view, CGC witnesses signatures to ensure their authenticity. They can do this because it takes a few seconds to sign something. I don't think CGC would want to spend an hour, two hours, or more to witness original artwork being done.

Unlike a company like PSA/DNA which does after the fact analysis; CGC is a contemporaneous authenticator. Don't see how original artwork authentication would fit into CGC's business model.

Well maybe not neccessarily grade but at least slab. Great way to present/protect it.

I collect art and have to say, slabbing it makes absolutely no sense to me. They have these things called "artwork sized mylars". You can even get them in twice-up size. Now these things are pretty amazing, you can actually put your artwork in them. Yes, thats right, you put them in the mylar. They also make this other thing called a portfolio that you can actually put the artwork in the mylar inside of. This makes an sort of artwork book you can look through quite easily.

Now if you are a real rebel, you can try this new thing called a frame. This is something you can put a piece of artwork in and display it on a wall. I suspect they would be cheaper than the price of slabbing a piece of artwork.

:baiting:

Well maybe not neccessarily grade but at least slab. Great way to present/protect it.

Now if you are a real rebel, you can try this new thing called a frame. This is something you can put a piece of artwork in and display it on a wall. I suspect they would be cheaper than the price of slabbing a piece of artwork.

:baiting:

Hmmm, not familiar with these "Frames" :insane: I'll have to google it. :jokealert: But in all seriousness the have frames that hold slabs as well and personally I prefer a slab to a frame anyday.