• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Sigh

30 posts in this topic

There are certain discussions that come up from time to time here that make me just want to throw out the old Billy Madison line:

"Mr. Madison, what you've just said is one of the most insanely idiotic things I have ever heard. At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul. " :devil:

I guess I could see why some would have an interest, especially those brand new to the hobby that maybe can't tell the difference between a real and a forged piece of art. Similar to why some prefer slabbed books to have a better chance of knowing if trimmed/touched. Or maybe even condition concerns...if you're not well versed in the type of ink/marker/watercolor used, don't know how its likely to degrade, etc. maybe some sort of "condition grade" might make the difference in how much someone is willing to pay. Just throwing out some imo somewhat valid reasons why someone would want it.

I am pretty sure it's on a timer, and one of those threads pops up every 6-8 months.

If you stick around long enough, you'll see that just about every thread is a rehash of an older thread, with all the same points made, including this one. :)

Also, CGC already grades con sketches, ridiculously enough.

Are you talking about the sketch cover stuff?

No, and "grades" is the wrong word, sorry. I meant this stuff:

cgc1.36a.jpg

wow, people actually pay money to get a con sketch entombed versus just buying a mylar :facepalm:

Also, CGC already grades con sketches, ridiculously enough.

Are you talking about the sketch cover stuff?

No, and "grades" is the wrong word, sorry. I meant this stuff:

cgc1.36a.jpg

Is not a terrible idea if it acts as a C.O.A, which can be handy to have for some particular sketches.

It is idiocy, especially since most everyone has a camera in their phone. Take a picture of the artist with the sketch. And yeah, people all over are trying to copy this (likely free) Noto sketch!

What about a simple Frazetta or Frank Miller drawing... No handy camera back then.

And your point is? CGC wouldn't take it either. How could they verify it?

As I said before... Only if it acts as a COA...if not... Then is just absurd.

I don't do slabs, but my impression is that signature series is only for stuff witnessed by CGC as it is being signed. COAs have been around forever and they aren't worth the paper they are printed on, I don't see why CGC would be any different.

Sounds like we essentially agree Rick. Take care and be well.