• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Biggest OA Prices: The Blog

80 posts in this topic

Does the list include reported private deals? or just public auctions?

I include private cash sales as people tell me about them, though that doesn't often happen. They are mostly public sales with links to information on the sale.

I've said this before, but for the sake of the integrity/credibility of your list, I don't believe you should include private sales. Too problematic.

Shouldn`t it depend on the credibility of the person reporting the sale to him?

Another slippery slope though. One man's saint is another man's sinner in this hobby.

The greatest guy in the world might also be the world's greatest teller of fishing stories (I once caught one "THIS BIG") and OA's versions of Satan might be telling the truth, but who's buying what they're selling (testimonial wise).

I think Felix is referring to, taking the word of a buyer or seller on a private deal opens the door to interpretation.

If it's the seller, does he have more to sell from that artist/title/era?....the lily may get gilded.

If it's the buyer, is he in the market for more, is the selling price obscene to the point of embarrassment, or more likely, would that sales price and his wanting more put a bulls-eye squarely on his back?

So very problematic.

If it's the seller, does he have more to sell from that artist/title/era?....the lily may get gilded.

If it's the buyer, is he in the market for more, is the selling price obscene to the point of embarrassment, or more likely, would that sales price and his wanting more put a bulls-eye squarely on his back?

So very problematic.

Exactly.

In cases like this, there is always a reason the private sale figure was "leaked"

Many private deals often have an unreported trade component as well - better to stick to all-cash public sales figures, IMO.

is it really all cash when there's a bunch of consignments in the next auction to pay off that win?

Sure it is.

When someone pledges artwork against a cash purchase price, the auction house will be paid in cash. The pieces are the securing interest against that cash price. Unless the auction house agrees to accept whatever the pieces bring, whether a shortfall or a windfall, they are simply allowing the piece to be paid off in time from the consigned pieces and not taking ownership of the artwork as they would in a trade situation.

That's not a trade where money is not changing hands.

Many private deals often have an unreported trade component as well - better to stick to all-cash public sales figures, IMO.

is it really all cash when there's a bunch of consignments in the next auction to pay off that win?

Yes.

Sure it is.

When someone pledges artwork against a cash purchase price, the auction house will be paid in cash. The pieces are the securing interest against that cash price. Unless the auction house agrees to accept whatever the pieces bring, whether a shortfall or a windfall, they are simply allowing the piece to be paid off in time from the consigned pieces and not taking ownership of the artwork as they would in a trade situation.

That's not a trade where money is not changing hands.

Thanks, that makes perfect sense

When a piece recently traded hands, I asked -- twice -- both buyer and seller, whom I know well and trust, what the price was. I got four different answers.

Average them!

People who know me, know that I don't trade.

So when I say I've sold 2 Miller Daredevil covers for $125,000 each, it's a fact.

Not a fabrication, not a lie, not a partial lie, no trade, no partial trade.

All. Cash. Deals.

MI

(thumbs u

So when I say I've sold 2 Miller Daredevil covers for $125,000 each, it's a fact.

All. Cash. Deals.

MI

The point is not whether or not you trade.

The point is that, as Frank Miller's art representative, you stand to gain by putting large figures out for public consumption.

It's a slippery slope to include any non-public numbers. And when you start editing (trust this guy, but not that guy, etc) then data is getting skewed. Hard. There's going to slippage regardless, as most non-public deals remain that way to begin with. Better to capture all public data (easy enough) and leave the private to the rumor mill, letting individuals handicap the "value" of non-public information, in all dimensions -including the source, on their own.

All. Cash. Deals.

MI

The point is not whether or not you trade.

The point is that, as Frank Miller's art representative, you stand to gain by putting large figures out for public consumption.

I do not think Mitch reps Frank Miller.

Um, I don't rep Miller.

I'm not "putting large figures out for public consumption"

That would infer that I'm lying, or telling a half truth.

I stand by any information that I disclose to the public.

Whether you choose to believe me, or accept the price as gospel, is up to you. No skin off my teeth.

MI

Um, I don't rep Miller.

Whether you choose to believe me, or accept the price as gospel, is up to you. No skin off my teeth.

MI

I don't think anyone is accusing you of anything. They are just saying there is inherent bias.

I go back to the fact that ashrael is taking the time to update this for us, it is much appreciated at least by me, and however he chooses to do it is fine by me. Its not like this list is gospel, anyways.

If one really wanted to avoid the slippery slope, why not just list the source of the info for the private sale.

If I read 'Miller daredevil cover, sold for $125,000 cash per Mitch Itkowitz" I trust that 100%. Same with 'per' many trustworthy individuals.

If I read 'per Greggy' I know it was half trade in Strawberry Shortcake books :gossip:

Um, I don't rep Miller.

MI

I don't think anyone is accusing you of anything. They are just saying there is inherent bias.

I go back to the fact that ashrael is taking the time to update this for us, it is much appreciated at least by me, and however he chooses to do it is fine by me. Its not like this list is gospel, anyways.

If one really wanted to avoid the slippery slope, why not just list the source of the info for the private sale.

If I read 'Miller daredevil cover, sold for $125,000 cash per Mitch Itkowitz" I trust that 100%. Same with 'per' many trustworthy individuals.

If I read 'per Greggy' I know it was half trade in Strawberry Shortcake books :gossip:

That works for me.

It's better to have more data than less and if the private sales are clearly identified as such and attributed to the source then people can draw their own conclusions.

When a piece recently traded hands, I asked -- twice -- both buyer and seller, whom I know well and trust, what the price was. I got four different answers.

Average them!

I like this. How do I average 100K, 80K, "the deal didn't happen" and "it's in the next Heritage?"