• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reasonable price for NM 98?

579 posts in this topic

/\/\/\

Comic book movies are a lot different now than in the 80's-90's, especially Marvel movies.

Why do you pick a single point out of an entire post, and focus on that?

That doesn't make any sense.

The point was to show how similar the mania was for Punisher in the late 80's/early 90;s, and the mania for Deadpool today.

Same reason why you agree to disagree with every post? Even when someone makes a valid point you unleash a personal attack on their character or make a sarcastic remark to discredit what they have to say. I'll be honest with you when I join a community I look to have constructive criticism from established board members. You can have more knowledge than God but if you come off as a pompous then most of what you have to say will get lost in translation.

No, Spiderman was the Spiderman to the "young collectors" in the late 80's-90's.

Spiderman's popularity DWARFED Wolverine's in the 1990's.

Spiderman #1 was "the biggest selling comic of all time" (which, apparently, only goes back to the late 50's) when it was published in 1990. Spiderman had four, count them, FOUR titles throughout most of the 90's.

Even the disastrous Clone Saga couldn't do much to diminish Spidey's popularity.

Wolverine? He had one.

PUNISHER had THREE titles simultaneously! (Punisher, PWJ, and PWZ.)

Wolverine?

Just the one.

And Wolverine had been around...watch this now...for 16-17 years by this time.

In 1990, the word on everyone's lips was Spiderman Spiderman Spiderman.

Wolverine...? The X-Men were in serious decline at the moment. That would change when Jim Lee showed up. But at that moment, nobody cared.

It was all about Spidey and all about Todd McFarlane.

And Spidey continued to dominate. The era is STILL littered with "keys" and "semi-keys." Spidey 328, 330-333, 344-347, 361-363, 365, 375, 400, 410, 430-431. The Ramones tape cassette variants. Maximum Carnage. Web #118. And, of course, Spiderman #1-16.

Wolverine....?

#10 (1989) #75? #100? #145, towards the end of the decade?

And Wolvie wasn't even alone. At the time, from the late 80's through the mid 90's, he went toe to toe with Punisher for popularity. He didn't even get to enjoy whatever spotlight he had by himself. :(

No doubt about it...Wolverine is almost guaranteed to be the fourth most popular comic book character in the world now....

....but compared to the big 3, Superman, Bats, and Spidey....he is a still distant 4th.

How was the X-Men franchise in "serious decline" at the time?

Are you asking a serious question, or are you being snarky?

/\/\/\

Comic book movies are a lot different now than in the 80's-90's, especially Marvel movies.

Why do you pick a single point out of an entire post, and focus on that?

That doesn't make any sense.

The point was to show how similar the mania was for Punisher in the late 80's/early 90;s, and the mania for Deadpool today.

Same reason why you agree to disagree with every post?

That argument doesn't follow.

Even when someone makes a valid point you unleash a personal attack on their character or make a sarcastic remark to discredit what they have to say. I'll be honest with you when I join a community I look to have constructive criticism from established board members. You can have more knowledge than God but if you come off as a pompous then most of what you have to say will get lost in translation.

I have made no personal attacks on anyone in this thread. I have made zero personal attacks on anyone's character in this entire thread. Please, point to any examples where someone's character has been attacked....can you?

You confuse correction and philosophical discussion with "personal attacking."

I "come off like a pompous " because your pride was stung, and you don't like it. If you don't like to be challenged, and if you can't be challenged, without getting upset (as you clearly are), and looking at the challenge as a "personal attack", perhaps you should carefully consider what you say in the future.

And, no doubt, even though every word of this reply is true, you will look at it as a "personal attack."

:popcorn:

It's a great benefit for someone to learn something they were not aware of from someone on the boards that is willing to help. It's the delivery of such teachings that would benefit from an easier approach at times. 2c

Of course, there are some who post in a way that would have called for some thought before posting too though.

It's a great benefit to be willing to be corrected, and not become upset because someone challenges what one posts, but rather, swallow one's pride and look at it as an opportunity to learn.

It's also a great benefit to not take things personally that aren't personal, and to recognize that the way I see someone's "delivery" may be clouded by my own peculiar set of biases and emotional response, and what I receive may not actually be what was delivered. 2c

RMA

Do you by chance, have multiple copies of X-force 22 in 9.8 condition that you would want to sell? Seeing you have/had many copies of 90's run books, I figured it was worth a shot

X-Force #22?

Or X-Force #2?

I have probably 30 raw 9.8 copies, but nothing slabbed at the moment.

X-force 22 from the original series that Liefield started. If you want to sell a few, just shoot me a pm with asking price and how many you want to sell. If you feel they are 9.8, then I'd take a few.

No, I don't think so. I probably have a couple, but nothing I could put my hands on any time soon.

What's special about #22?

No, Spiderman was the Spiderman to the "young collectors" in the late 80's-90's.

Spiderman's popularity DWARFED Wolverine's in the 1990's.

Spiderman #1 was "the biggest selling comic of all time" (which, apparently, only goes back to the late 50's) when it was published in 1990. Spiderman had four, count them, FOUR titles throughout most of the 90's.

Even the disastrous Clone Saga couldn't do much to diminish Spidey's popularity.

Wolverine? He had one.

PUNISHER had THREE titles simultaneously! (Punisher, PWJ, and PWZ.)

Wolverine?

Just the one.

And Wolverine had been around...watch this now...for 16-17 years by this time.

In 1990, the word on everyone's lips was Spiderman Spiderman Spiderman.

Wolverine...? The X-Men were in serious decline at the moment. That would change when Jim Lee showed up. But at that moment, nobody cared.

It was all about Spidey and all about Todd McFarlane.

And Spidey continued to dominate. The era is STILL littered with "keys" and "semi-keys." Spidey 328, 330-333, 344-347, 361-363, 365, 375, 400, 410, 430-431. The Ramones tape cassette variants. Maximum Carnage. Web #118. And, of course, Spiderman #1-16.

Wolverine....?

#10 (1989) #75? #100? #145, towards the end of the decade?

And Wolvie wasn't even alone. At the time, from the late 80's through the mid 90's, he went toe to toe with Punisher for popularity. He didn't even get to enjoy whatever spotlight he had by himself. :(

No doubt about it...Wolverine is almost guaranteed to be the fourth most popular comic book character in the world now....

....but compared to the big 3, Superman, Bats, and Spidey....he is a still distant 4th.

It was a serious question.

I don't know who Sluggo is, other than what you just mentioned.

I probably have a 10 pack somewhere. But it's a 1993 book, so it's probably not hard to find in 9.8.

I don't sell books "before their time", if I can avoid it.

Fair enough. I'll find them at the show this week just as easy I'm sure. From what I've read, he's nothing outstanding anyway. Seems more like a nameless henchmen that was actually given a name but since they are dollar bin books, it would be nice to have a few copies since they are so inexpensive.

The X-Men had meandered for several years before Jim Lee took over the art chores. There are some bright spots, but for the most part, after #200, things didn't go well for the title.

The problem was Claremont. He's never done well without a strong artist, and the devices that were great positives in the late 70's: his dangling plot threads, his multi-issue storylines, his foreshadowing...all became drags on the book by the mid-80's. After issue #200 or so, nothing was ever resolved, and very, very little made any actual sense.

Whereas, you can read Days of Future Past to this day, and see a neat, tidy story, started and finished essentially over three issues (#140-142), even one as potentially convoluted as "time travel."

But then, by #206, 207, 208...what's happening? #220? #238?

The X-Men are in Australia, the X-Men are dead, the X-Men go through the Siege Perilous, the X-Men fight Sinister and Madelyne Pryor (talk about a fuster cluck!)

Ok, sure, the return of the Brood is nice.

But I defy anyone to logically explain what happened between X-Men #247 and X-Men #265. Psylocke becomes an Asian ninja...? Forge takes over the team...?

What is going on, here?

Issue #205, aside from being absolute eye candy...what happens in this issue that has anything to do with the X-Men? Lady Deathstrike gets...something. It's a great setup for what would eventually be Weapon X in MCP, but even that is shoddy storytelling at best. A plotter, BWS is NOT. Delicious eye candy. Terrible story.

Even the classic Mutant Massacre left far more questions than answers. So, the Marauders kill all the Morlocks. And? Because? Oh, and Angel gets his wings ripped off.

And what is the outcome of this? Is it ever addressed again? Not in X-Men it's not.

The X-Men "died" in Fall of the Mutants, and then they're back...with only a brief mention by Manoli Wetherell, 40+ issues later?

Storm is a child? Rogue disappears completely?

The Siege Perilous was a terrible storyline, and it was Claremont's chance to "start over"...and it failed miserably.

And, while the X-Men rested on former laurels throughout the mid-80's, by the late 80's, the cracks were beginning to show. Sales were dropping, no one was interested in back issues, and Marvel was making serious overtures for Claremont to move on, and that he had run out of ideas (which he had.)

Then, Jim Lee shows up, and the book enjoys a mighty renaissance...but on the strength of Lee, not Claremont. Claremont VERY wisely chose to exit at the height, and it is no coincidence in the slightest that #3 was his last X-Men issue for a long time.

The X-Men had meandered for several years before Jim Lee took over the art chores. There are some bright spots, but for the most part, after #200, things didn't go well for the title.

The problem was Claremont. He's never done well without a strong artist, and the devices that were great positives in the late 70's: his dangling plot threads, his multi-issue storylines, his foreshadowing...all became drags on the book by the mid-80's. After issue #200 or so, nothing was ever resolved, and very, very little made any actual sense.

Whereas, you can read Days of Future Past to this day, and see a neat, tidy story, started and finished essentially over three issues (#140-142), even one as potentially convoluted as "time travel."

But then, by #206, 207, 208...what's happening? #220? #238?

The X-Men are in Australia, the X-Men are dead, the X-Men go through the Siege Perilous, the X-Men fight Sinister and Madelyne Pryor (talk about a fuster cluck!)

Ok, sure, the return of the Brood is nice.

But I defy anyone to logically explain what happened between X-Men #247 and X-Men #265. Psylocke becomes an Asian ninja...? Forge takes over the team...?

What is going on, here?

Issue #205, aside from being absolute eye candy...what happens in this issue that has anything to do with the X-Men? Lady Deathstrike gets...something. It's a great setup for what would eventually be Weapon X in MCP, but even that is shoddy storytelling at best. A plotter, BWS is NOT. Delicious eye candy. Terrible story.

Even the classic Mutant Massacre left far more questions than answers. So, the Marauders kill all the Morlocks. And? Because? Oh, and Angel gets his wings ripped off.

And what is the outcome of this? Is it ever addressed again? Not in X-Men it's not.

The X-Men "died" in Fall of the Mutants, and then they're back...with only a brief mention by Manoli Wetherell, 40+ issues later?

Storm is a child? Rogue disappears completely?

The Siege Perilous was a terrible storyline, and it was Claremont's chance to "start over"...and it failed miserably.

And, while the X-Men rested on former laurels throughout the mid-80's, by the late 80's, the cracks were beginning to show. Sales were dropping, no one was interested in back issues, and Marvel was making serious overtures for Claremont to move on, and that he had run out of ideas (which he had.)

Then, Jim Lee shows up, and the book enjoys a mighty renaissance...but on the strength of Lee, not Claremont. Claremont VERY wisely chose to exit at the height, and it is no coincidence in the slightest that #3 was his last X-Men issue for a long time.

I thought you meant "serious sales decline" not "serious creative decline."