• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reasonable price for NM 98?

579 posts in this topic

"(specifically because of my big mouth), "

lol I applaud you. Not many can or will admit their short comings. Mine is definitely hiding my undying love for Lobo comics. Apparently, I like characters that can't hold their own series. :frustrated:

It's interesting to converse about comic histories and facts sometimes. :slapfight:

Who said it was a shortcoming...?

:shrug:

I recognize it as something that people don't always like.

But a shortcoming...? No, not at all.

Deadpool is a top 3 character in popularity if not #1 as of right now and as of a few years ago it was the only book that had a first appearance of those top 3 that your average collector could afford. I'm shocked the numbers aren't higher than what they are.

Hmm, he isn't on this list:

10 comic characters to watch in 2014

Or in the top 20 on this list:

Top 100 Comic Characters

Not top 20 in this list:

50 Greatest Comic Characters

He is number 33 on this list:

2014 Monthly Comic Sales

And not on this list:

14 Characters to Watch in 2014

So yeah, top 3 is kinda hard to believe... :baiting:

(shrug)

Hmmmm....I'm not a Deadpool freak, but I'm not sure most of these lists are rrelevant or necessarily dis-prove bighaley's point.

First, all the lists were made prior to the movie confirmation. That alone is a major game changer.

Second, both "characters to watch in 2014" lists are populated with characters that would be either eye rolling or abominable to many collectors, and many are previously irrelevant/unknown characters that are appearing in a movie or TV show this year. Deadpool does not need either to be "watchable". He already was popular. And many of the characters will fade back into comic book obscurity without their movies. But these lists are meant to be debated not considered sacrosanct.

Third, one of the lists out right calls Harley Quinn DC's "answer" (read: rip off) to Deadpool. So their number 3 character is a rip off of Deadpool, who somehow doesn't make their list at all?

Fourth, one of the lists is many years old. It's too stale to be relevant.

Fifth, one of the lists has Constantine at number 3. Come on.

Sixth, Deadpool is the wolverine to younger collectors. This cannot be denied. As these younger collectors' paychecks grow , NM 98 will grow. Harley Quinn is similarly popular, but her "first appearance" in BA 12 really isn't. Her first appearance was in a cartoon, and BA 12 isn't even her ret-con into the DCU. ASM 300 is the first appearance of a villain. NM 98 is a true (anti) hero first appearance book. It should be worth more than BA 12 and ASM 300, IMO, because other than the turtles, he's had the greatest impact on the hobby. He's Marvel's most popular character of the last 20 years. Too bad they don't own the movie rights to him.

Well hindsight is always 20/20. Just ask the people who made those 2014 lists rfoiii linked. :insane:

-J.

zzz

Here are my replies to your "points"

"First" - order of operations.

"Second" - your first point...

"Third" - (shrug)

"Fourth" - took the first few hits on "most popular comic characters 2014" from Google, Google never lies.

"Fifth" - (shrug)

"Sixth" - I thought Wolverine was the Wolverine to younger collectors. Or do his last 7 movie appearances since 2000 not count (including multiple solo films)? Also, don't like arguments that essentially begin with "this cannot be denied." I deny it. There, your argument is invalid!

:hi:

What's that old saying about "Denial" not just being a river in Egypt? lol:baiting:

-J.

I hear it is also a "two-way" street.

:sumo:

Wolverine was the spiderman to the young collectors in the late 80's-90's. They didn't notice Deadpool when he first hit the scene. Even cable was more popular.

Deadpool is the wolverine to the younger collectors now. He's "their guy" the way wolverine was to the young collectors back then.

There is no doubt a character lurking now who has recently been introduced that will one day be the "deadpool" of the next generation.

For that to be known, only time will tell. (thumbs u

-J.

Couple of quick follow-up questions:

1) how old are you?

2) can you please break down age groups by current favorite comic character?

3) which comic university did you earn your degree from?

4) what won't time tell?

5) I like that you used the word "lurking." do you "lurk?"

6) will anything anyone says make you any less bullish about how Deadpool is the new awesomeness of newly awesome that was always awesome but people just are now noticing how awesome he is?

:kidaround:

1) Decline to say

2) Impossible to answer. People of varying age groups like different characters. Deadpool certainly does skew "young" however

3) There's such a thing ? News to me. Had I known of one I probably would have gone there instead of USC. Fight on!

4) Everything and nothing once we die

5) My understanding of the term is that "lurkers" rarely if ever post.

6) I am hardly a devoted deadpool superfan though I do own the book. You're in what's basically a Deadpool/nm 98 fan thread. If you aren't one or those who are bother you, there are lots of other threads for you to post in I'm sure. I don't see much point in going into threads such as these and then trying to rain on the feel good buzz of the participants when that thread's dedicated book gets hot, do you? :insane:

-J.

Deadpool is a top 3 character in popularity if not #1 as of right now and as of a few years ago it was the only book that had a first appearance of those top 3 that your average collector could afford. I'm shocked the numbers aren't higher than what they are.

Top 100 Comic Characters

Not top 20 in this list:

2014 Monthly Comic Sales

And not on this list:

(shrug)

Hmmmm....I'm not a Deadpool freak, but I'm not sure most of these lists are rrelevant or necessarily dis-prove bighaley's point.

First, all the lists were made prior to the movie confirmation. That alone is a major game changer.

Second, both "characters to watch in 2014" lists are populated with characters that would be either eye rolling or abominable to many collectors, and many are previously irrelevant/unknown characters that are appearing in a movie or TV show this year. Deadpool does not need either to be "watchable". He already was popular. And many of the characters will fade back into comic book obscurity without their movies. But these lists are meant to be debated not considered sacrosanct.

Third, one of the lists out right calls Harley Quinn DC's "answer" (read: rip off) to Deadpool. So their number 3 character is a rip off of Deadpool, who somehow doesn't make their list at all?

Sixth, Deadpool is the wolverine to younger collectors. This cannot be denied. As these younger collectors' paychecks grow , NM 98 will grow. Harley Quinn is similarly popular, but her "first appearance" in BA 12 really isn't. Her first appearance was in a cartoon, and BA 12 isn't even her ret-con into the DCU. ASM 300 is the first appearance of a villain. NM 98 is a true (anti) hero first appearance book. It should be worth more than BA 12 and ASM 300, IMO, because other than the turtles, he's had the greatest impact on the hobby. He's Marvel's most popular character of the last 20 years. Too bad they don't own the movie rights to him.

Well hindsight is always 20/20. Just ask the people who made those 2014 lists rfoiii linked. :insane:

-J.

zzz

"Third" - (shrug)

"Fourth" - took the first few hits on "most popular comic characters 2014" from Google, Google never lies.

"Fifth" - (shrug)

"Sixth" - I thought Wolverine was the Wolverine to younger collectors. Or do his last 7 movie appearances since 2000 not count (including multiple solo films)? Also, don't like arguments that essentially begin with "this cannot be denied." I deny it. There, your argument is invalid!

What's that old saying about "Denial" not just being a river in Egypt? lol:baiting:

-J.

Wolverine was the spiderman to the young collectors in the late 80's-90's. They didn't notice Deadpool when he first hit the scene. Even cable was more popular.

Deadpool is the wolverine to the younger collectors now. He's "their guy" the way wolverine was to the young collectors back then.

There is no doubt a character lurking now who has recently been introduced that will one day be the "deadpool" of the next generation.

-J.

1) how old are you?

4) what won't time tell?

6) will anything anyone says make you any less bullish about how Deadpool is the new awesomeness of newly awesome that was always awesome but people just are now noticing how awesome he is?

1) Decline to say

2) Impossible to answer. People of varying age groups like different characters. Deadpool certainly does skew "young" however

3) There's such a thing ? News to me. Had I known of one I probably would have gone there instead of USC. Fight on!

6) I am hardly a devoted deadpool superfan though I do own the book. You're in what's basically a Deadpool/nm 98 fan thread. If you aren't one or those who are bother you, there are lots of other threads for you to post in I'm sure. I don't see much point in going into threads such as these and then trying to rain on the feel good buzz of the participants when that thread's dedicated book gets hot, do you? :insane:

-J.

I thought telling people "what they collect sucks" was equally as important to telling people "what I collect rocks!" This is boardie rule número uno.

FYI - the title of the thread is "Reasonable price for NM 98?," not "Deadpool Lovers Anonymous." With that is an implied difference in opinions, right?

Top 100 Comic Characters

Not top 20 in this list:

2014 Monthly Comic Sales

And not on this list:

(shrug)

-J.

zzz

"Third" - (shrug)

"Fifth" - (shrug)

-J.

-J.

1) how old are you?

4) what won't time tell?

1) Decline to say

-J.

I thought telling people "what they collect sucks" was equally as important to telling people "what I collect rocks!" This is boardie rule número uno.

lol touche.

BTW almost all the 9.8's in ebay auctions are either flirting with or past $700.

This movie announcement has seemingly turned this book into the hottest copper comic almost literally overnight.

-J.

Top 100 Comic Characters

Not top 20 in this list:

2014 Monthly Comic Sales

And not on this list:

(shrug)

-J.

zzz

"Third" - (shrug)

"Fifth" - (shrug)

-J.

-J.

1) how old are you?

4) what won't time tell?

1) Decline to say

-J.

lol Touche. And I said it is "basically" a page where fans of the book and NM 98 have been posting. I'm sure that would be evident from having read most of the posts going back to page 1.

BTW almost all the 9.8's in ebay auctions are either flirting with or past $700.

This movie announcement has seemingly turned this book into the hottest copper comic almost literally overnight.

-J.

Top 100 Comic Characters

Not top 20 in this list:

2014 Monthly Comic Sales

And not on this list:

(shrug)

-J.

zzz

"Third" - (shrug)

"Fifth" - (shrug)

-J.

-J.

1) how old are you?

4) what won't time tell?

1) Decline to say

-J.

lol touche.

-J.

That's only because the TMNT movie came and went (underwhelmingly).

lol

I see your points RAM but it's called what's trending my friend. No one is trying to take away from history. 3 years from now Deadpool might return to obscurity but for right now it's his 15 minutes.

lol

Ok. Thank you for the lesson on trending. I don't know if I've heard that concept before.

;)

Trolls need refresher courses every once in a while too. :baiting: I'm done feeding this one. :headbang:

No, you didn't take the discussion personally and get upset, not at ALL....

:cloud9:

lol

I love when new boardies try to school longtime boardies/collectors/dealers on the intricacies of the market and the historical contexts of the characters involved.

Glad you think that because someone is new to a community means they have no knowledge of it and just because someone has a lot of posts and has been a member for a long time means they're an expert. Solid reasoning. Where they get these guys?? It's like high school up in here. (shrug)

There cannot be enough said for being a sponge when you are new to a community. If you hang around long enough, you'll realize just how much RMA actually knows about this hobby. I encourage you to do so.

Thanks for pooping on our parade rfoiii. :boo:

That's only because the TMNT movie came and went (underwhelmingly).

lol

What the heck happened there anyways?? What a huge disappointment.

"They had far greater, and far more potent, competition. They didn't need "superhero" competition, because there wasn't any such thing.

Their competition was powerhouses like Disney, Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck, Snow White, The Wizard of Oz, *spoon* Tracy, Tarzan, Sherlock Holmes, Popeye.

Superman and Batman didn't enter a virgin field of no competition. There was a TON of pop culture icons already around with which they had to compete.

And then, the massive army of clones that came after. The Golden Age wasn't limited to National Comics and Timely. There was Fiction House, Fawcett (whose Captain Marvel went toe to toe with Supes in the 40's), MLJ (Archie), Fox, Lev Gleason, Nedor, Centaur, Dell, All-American, Quality, and many others, most of whom published superhero books of their own.

And then, of course, you had the other DC characters, too, which competed with them."

This is all true but I was referring to Superhero type competition. Donald Duck vs Superman wasn't exactly the competition I was referring to. The War genre as much of a powerhouse as it was back then, (as with some of the other genres) while absolutely was competition as well, again wasn't the type of competition I was really pointing out.

I'm saying from a superhero genre, there are simply more characters than there were in the 30s. The sheer numbers of characters from a superhero standpoint today is much larger considering that as time goes by, there are more characters created, no matter how relevant/irrelevant they may be. As you have stated and most of us already knew, Deadpool will never be what Superman is. Just simply stating what you have already concurred and that is, Deadpool is getting more popular than ever before. That pretty much sums up what I've been trying to convey.

Spiderman and Wolverine? No..

Maybe Storm Shadow and the Joker possibly but Spidey, Wolvie? He's just not those type of characters. At least to me, when I think spidey, I think "good guy" and when I think Wolverine, I think feral with a sense of Honor. Deadpool is not much like either of them. He's well known for being insane which most dont consider spidey or wolvie to be anything like that. He cares mostly about himself, is absolutely insane (literally) and is not the role model spidey seems to be.

That's just my opinion.

Cable did have a good chance. He's intelligent, he's powerful and he's got a decent story to his character. Hopefully, he'll get some well deserved fame once the X-Force movie rolls around. I'm not super confident in Fox with that project or Deadpool but there's still hope.

Good debates man. I just think we were on a slightly different path of thinking in terms of competition. (thumbs u

lol I applaud you. Not many can or will admit their short comings. Mine is definitely hiding my undying love for Lobo comics. Apparently, I like characters that can't hold their own series. :frustrated:

It's interesting to converse about comic histories and facts sometimes. :slapfight:

You do realize it's all in good fun right?

Top 100 Comic Characters

Not top 20 in this list:

2014 Monthly Comic Sales

And not on this list:

(shrug)

-J.

zzz

"Third" - (shrug)

"Fifth" - (shrug)

-J.

Wolverine was the spiderman to the young collectors in the late 80's-90's.

-J.

No, Spiderman was the Spiderman to the "young collectors" in the late 80's-90's.

Spiderman's popularity DWARFED Wolverine's in the 1990's.

Spiderman #1 was "the biggest selling comic of all time" (which, apparently, only goes back to the late 50's) when it was published in 1990. Spiderman had four, count them, FOUR titles throughout most of the 90's.

Even the disastrous Clone Saga couldn't do much to diminish Spidey's popularity.

Wolverine? He had one.

PUNISHER had THREE titles simultaneously! (Punisher, PWJ, and PWZ.)

Wolverine?

Just the one.

And Wolverine had been around...watch this now...for 16-17 years by this time.

In 1990, the word on everyone's lips was Spiderman Spiderman Spiderman.

Wolverine...? The X-Men were in serious decline at the moment. That would change when Jim Lee showed up. But at that moment, nobody cared.

It was all about Spidey and all about Todd McFarlane.

And Spidey continued to dominate. The era is STILL littered with "keys" and "semi-keys." Spidey 328, 330-333, 344-347, 361-363, 365, 375, 400, 410, 430-431. The Ramones tape cassette variants. Maximum Carnage. Web #118. And, of course, Spiderman #1-16.

Wolverine....?

#10 (1989) #75? #100? #145, towards the end of the decade?

And Wolvie wasn't even alone. At the time, from the late 80's through the mid 90's, he went toe to toe with Punisher for popularity. He didn't even get to enjoy whatever spotlight he had by himself. :(

No doubt about it...Wolverine is almost guaranteed to be the fourth most popular comic book character in the world now....

....but compared to the big 3, Superman, Bats, and Spidey....he is a still distant 4th.

One thing that's been lost in this argument is the difference between name recognition of a character and the fervor that a fan base has for a character. I hesitate to label either of them "popularity" because the term can be applied to either. If you were to show a drawing to a random group of people on the street (for the sake of argument, we're assuming in the U.S. here), I imagine that vast majority would recognize Wonder Woman. Far more than would recognize Deadpool. In that sense, Wonder Woman is more popular. However, Wonder Woman doesn't seem to have the fan base amongst those who buy comics that Deadpool does. Certainly she's not so bankable that DC decided to roll out Wonder Woman variant covers for titles that have nothing to do with her. In that sense, Deadpool is more popular.

I'm not going to rank characters, but right now, Deadpool seems to be a top character in geek subculture. But then, I remember a time in the late '80s/early '90s when Lobo was hugely popular and his first appearance was highly sought after. Deadpool's popularity has seemed to outlived that trial phase during which it's uncertain whether he's a flash in the pan or if he has staying power, but I think he needs to permeate the consciousness of the public at large before you put him amongst the ranks of Superman, Batman, Spider-man, and Wolverine (all of whom sell lots of comics and have wide name recognition).

I'll also point out that the Golden Age heroes didn't have to compete with television. That factor is a huge difference in whether characters that came later had widespread recognition. And Spidey and Wolverine didn't have to compete with console gaming.

This is all true but I was referring to Superhero type competition. Donald Duck vs Superman wasn't exactly the competition I was referring to. The War genre as much of a powerhouse as it was back then, (as with some of the other genres) while absolutely was competition as well, again wasn't the type of competition I was really pointing out.

I understand your point, but I am disagreeing with it. I am saying that the competition was much more intense because it wasn't only "superheroes."

If you're saying "well, Superman didn't really have any competition in the superhero genre, so he didn't really have a hard time becoming an icon in that genre", how can anyone argue against that? The character invented the genre.

I am saying, precisely because he had no competition in the superhero genre, at least for a year or two, it was even MORE difficult to do what Superman did, because he was up against entirely different (and immensely popular) genres...not just superheroes. He had to compete, not with other superheroes (because there weren't any), but with entirely different types of fictional characters.

Superman's accomplishment was far, far greater than anything Deadpool...or, indeed, anyone much after Superman...could achieve, because the genre rested on his success. And it could have been a flop, in which case, we probably never would have had Cap, Submariner, Capt. Marvel, Sandman, the Human Torch, the Black Terror, etc etc etc. Those all came into being because of the success of Superman.

Deadpool had it way, WAY easier than Superman, coming into a universe that had been established for 30 (or 50, however you want to look at it) years, that had a solid foundation of fans who supported pretty much anything Marvel put out ("Marvel Zombies.")

PS. "War" wasn't really a comics genre until the very late 40's, into the early 50's.

I'm saying from a superhero genre, there are simply more characters than there were in the 30s. The sheer numbers of characters from a superhero standpoint today is much larger considering that as time goes by, there are more characters created, no matter how relevant/irrelevant they may be.

I don't agree with this premise. Just because there are many characters that have existed doesn't mean they "clutter the field" for characters like Deadpool.

The Green Lama is, in no way, competition for Deadpool.

Remember...there were just as many, if not moreso, fictional characters that had been around for decades by the time Superman came onto the scene, that have since been lost to the mists of time and the dusty pages of history. People have been creating fictional characters for thousands of years.

You do realize it's all in good fun right?

That depends, I suppose, on where the conversation goes....

:whistle:

I wouldn't call "hiding an undying love for Lobo comics" "admitting a shortcoming", but what do I know....?

;)