• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Reasonable price for NM 98?

579 posts in this topic

$1,300? Now this has my attention.

:popcorn:

Am I the only one who's more than a little surprised how the market "isn't" being flooded with copies yet, considering what they've been going for the last few days ? All of the WTB NM 98 requests on these boards reveal a surprising shortage of copies on the Bay. (shrug)

-J.

There must only be a few surviving copies....

Am I the only one who's more than a little surprised how the market "isn't" being flooded with copies yet, considering what they've been going for the last few days ? All of the WTB NM 98 requests on these boards reveal a surprising shortage of copies on the Bay. (shrug)

-J.

:eyeroll:

-J.

Even with there being plenty of copies becoming available in high grade, do you think this will start to effect the mid-grade range for this comic for those that don't want to spend hundreds to over a thousand for it, but are willing to still spend a nice amount to get it in a lower grade like with Hulk 181?

-J.

:eyeroll:

-J.

Someone was making the case the other day that comics from 1989 were likely to have been thrown out....who was it...?

hm

This is only a year and a half younger, so you never know....

Even with there being plenty of copies becoming available in high grade, do you think this will start to effect the mid-grade range for this comic for those that don't want to spend hundreds to over a thousand for it, but are willing to still spend a nice amount to get it in a lower grade like with Hulk 181?

Yes, but there's not nearly as many lower grade copies of this as there are of Hulk #181, proportionately.

Frankly, I think that second and later appearances have been completely forgotten, and this cannot last forever.

Second appearance of Deathstroke? $1-$5. Second appearance of Cable? $1.

And these books aren't much more common than the first appearances, but everyone is absolutely OBSESSED with first appearances, and first appearances only.

Yes, but there's not nearly as many lower grade copies of this as there are of Hulk #181, proportionately.

Frankly, I think that second and later appearances have been completely forgotten, and this cannot last forever.

Second appearance of Deathstroke? $1-$5. Second appearance of Cable? $1.

And these books aren't much more common than the first appearances, but everyone is absolutely OBSESSED with first appearances, and first appearances only.

I agree. I think it's neat to see how characters showed up, but I don't get paying hundreds of dollars for it. I've just googled a few and seen venom, and a few other firsts. I have a few keys but they are just investments. I'm planning on selling if my NM 98 reaches the $800+ Mark, I'll sell. Same for x factor #6, New Teen Titans #2 etc.

-J.

I've got 6 or 7 copies, but none are slabbed. And the price is such that it seems it will be worth it to slab them before selling them, so I plan on submitting to CGC at NYCC. I imagine a lot of people will be in the same boat. Expect a steady increase in copies available.

On a side note, I've never submitting anything for grading. If I'm submitting direct to CGC in person at a con, do I have to pay for a membership at the time as well? And if so, is there a significant advantage to the premium membership that gives 4 free submissions if all (or most) of my submissions are going to be modern?

What we are seeing is the key-mania that drives 1st appearance values in earlier eras hitting the late copper/early modern era in a big way. A decade ago, the appeal of these books was largely limited to collectors who collected the character in general, but now you have collectors chasing these keys just because they are keys, and have little interest in subsequent appearances, hence the dramatic drop in interest and value for second appearance books.

A big difference is that with many of these later keys the pool of available copies in higher grade is huge compared to earlier eras, and therefore the potential for a bust in values after a big run-up far greater. Deadpool may be quite popular now, but how many copies of his books sell monthly, 50,000? With over 3000 copies in CGC 9.6 or better, not to mention thousands more in collectible grades, slabbed and raw, there are clearly enough copies of NM 98 to go around for Deadpool fans willing to shell out 100s of dollars for his first appearance, as I doubt even 10% of current readers are concerned about having the first appearance at all ( especially since the irreverent 4th wall breaking persona that made him an appealing character didn't surface until later). Almost all of the recent price rise can be attributed to movie speculation, and once that has run its course, interest will subside, barring the movie actually turning Deadpool into a long term A-list character. Anyone over 35 can remember the early 90s when The Punisher was positioned to eclipse Wolverine as Marvel's biggest character since the Silver Age. It is grossly premature to assume that Deadpool's current vogue will translate into sustained popularity over the next decade.

And now for obligatory Beanie Baby reference.

2012-02-08%252019.23.29.jpg

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221552982650?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

Packaged up and ready to go out in tomorrow's mail.

Wondering if I should buy a VF/NM for $250 not that both of my copies are gone hm

Wow. Another copy in the in the thousand dollar range. Gonna hold mine a bit longer. If it can get this high in such a short amount of time, the skies the limit :wishluck:

Thinking of asking the seller if it's a legit 1300 dollar transaction. I mean what's he gonna say? No? lol

No need. Wait about a week, and then go back onto Ebay and check his completed transaction history. The way Ebay changed this now, only transactions that were paid for show up in the history details.

At least, that is the way it seems to work now with all the changes that have taken place on Ebay. But if there was a payment, you will see the bright green numbers for the final amount. That has not changed.

Oh ok ^

Well. Curious to know what a good current buy it now price would be.

Was thinking about throwing mine on the block to see if it gets picked up by someone else for a "reasonable price" if there even is such a thing.

Was even considering trading it off for something I've been longing for...an ASM 129 :)

Thinking of asking the seller if it's a legit 1300 dollar transaction. I mean what's he gonna say? No? lol

I don't think it is a real sale. The buyer only has 2 feedback. Shill for sure.

I don't know. For a book that jump from $400 to +$700 in less than a month nothing surprises me right now.

I tend to exclude outliers but I'm not going to say this is impossible (shrug)

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221552982650?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649

Packaged up and ready to go out in tomorrow's mail.

Wondering if I should buy a VF/NM for $250 not that both of my copies are gone hm

That is incredible. For a book that was 400+ less than 2 weeks ago or so, its now legit at 1000?

Congrats on your sale Snowman :applause: