• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil recommendations from any time period needed

133 posts in this topic

My favorite individual issue from the Miller run is #185 "Guts" which puts Foggy at the forefront and moves DD into the background. Just a great story. And Foggy blowing cigar smoke into the Kingpin's face - lol

Bendis Run

Miller Run

Waid Run

Brubaker Run

Smith Run

Seriously, everythings amazing. I think Bendis' run is what really catapulted DD to the top for me.

Minus the Smith run, which I didn't really care for all that much +1 on all those.

If you like John Romita jr. then I would also add his run with Ann Nocenti. Great stuff in there.

Most Daredevil discussion usually centers around Miller. He really transformed the character. My personal favorite run is #168-#181, culminating in the death of Elektra. #181, the death of Elektra is definitely one of the best Copper comic.

Also, I think #182-#184, "Child's Play," the drug story with the Punisher is often overlooked. I like the way Miller portrays the conflict between Punisher and Daredevil and the clash of their brand of justice each believe in.

I still remember reading #182-#184 off the stands. It blew me away. (thumbs u

I flushed most of my Daredevil run a little while ago, including Miller, who I just don't care for. I kept all of my Gene Colan issues :cloud9: and Born Again.

If you like John Romita jr. then I would also add his run with Ann Nocenti. Great stuff in there.

*Throws up in mouth* Between the rastafarian Mephisto (which was later discredited in Infinity Crusade), and two straight issues of Ultron standing around puzzled that he's imperfect because his creator was imperfect... just... no.

I don’t like Miller’s Daredevil much.

As it has been said, he added much to the character, and to me he added it without enough sense of measure and not enough regard for what has happened before.

Said this, as far as more recent stories are concerned I liked the early stories by Ann Nocenti, Romita Jr and Al Williamson (which makes Romita Jr. pencils stand out).

Then, I think that after "Fall from Grace" DeMatteis managed to put him together once again in a decent way, but I did not follow much of what happened afterwards as I don’t like most of the authors which wrote him. Waid now is the exception and I’d like to read some.

As far as the previous stories go, I second joe_collector with the late 90s - early 100s issues, especially the Steve Gerber tenure. The storyline with the Mandrill and Nekra with its conclusion ("Death of a Nation") is the one I like most, and it’s also great how the relationship with the Widow develops, and eventually comes to an end.

As earlier issues go, I like Jester and if I have to choose a very early issue, it would be #4 (first appearance of Killgrave), or #6, first appearance of Mr. Fear, which is the perfect arch-nemesis for a man which is called "The man without fear").

Ah, worth mentioning Gerber also wrote an issue where the Man-Thing appears. And we know how fear plays a key role in his(its?) stories… :)

*Throws up in mouth* Between the rastafarian Mephisto (which was later discredited in Infinity Crusade), and two straight issues of Ultron standing around puzzled that he's imperfect because his creator was imperfect... just... no.

These are the last ones, which are bad, and should be avoided. But the early ones are good.

I forgot to tell I quite like Born Again, even if it’s Miller. :foryou:

Death Stalker is my all time favourite villain.

Thanos is my favourite villain as well.

skip anything with Daredevil in Armor

DDarmored.jpg

I couldn't get into that storyline, didn't like McDaniel's page layouts at all.

Other than the usual Miller epics, which should deservedly be in 1-2, my next-favorite run was where DD teamed up with Black Widow and they moved to San Francisco.

That took place from DD 81 to 107, but the 80's and 90's are the best, with some really crazy stuff taking place - I don't think there is a run with as many villain deaths in the history of Marvel Comics.

I have always wanted to read the issues with Black Widow. Do you know if they have been reprinted in tpb's or hard cover?

Other than the usual Miller epics, which should deservedly be in 1-2, my next-favorite run was where DD teamed up with Black Widow and they moved to San Francisco.

That took place from DD 81 to 107, but the 80's and 90's are the best, with some really crazy stuff taking place - I don't think there is a run with as many villain deaths in the history of Marvel Comics.

I have always wanted to read the issues with Black Widow. Do you know if they have been reprinted in tpb's or hard cover?

I haven't seen those issues in Masterwork format yet.

Nah, I think he sold a complete book at least. I got one!

mazzucchelliDD.jpg

Not as sweet as that splash, but I love it. The story I heard is Mazz was less pleased with the later part of the run when Nuke entered the picture and so sold 233. But that is rumor I heard, not from Mazz or anything.