• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Daredevil recommendations from any time period needed

133 posts in this topic

And the Decalogue arch was amazing. Framed around the Ten Commandments, the five-part "Decalogue" story arc is a series of one to two self-contained stories told by people whose lives have been profoundly affected by an encounter with Daredevil himself. Each testimonial will peel back another layer in the Daredevil story. Together, they offer a prismatic look at one of the most complex characters in the Marvel Universe.

o9o3zm.jpg

The more I start remembering the Bendis run the more I appreciate it. I blew through it so fast in a week or two because I loved it so much, I have to go back and reread it. It was just great. :cloud9:

Even this confrontation with Bullseye.

Where Bullseye shows up in out of the shadows at Matt's house and is ready to kill yet another of Matt's girlfriends. :eek: Just a feeling of suspense, shock and horror and so well written/illustrated.

etf61y.jpg21jyxeg.jpg

Matt surprises the reader busting in and saving Milla and throws Bullseye out the window screaming "Get out of my House!" You just get the sense of an invasion of privacy and the breaking of a barrier between superhero and civilian life.

28r2r9d.jpg

Finally, you see just how angry and how much Bullseye has pushed Daredevil. He carves a bullseye into his forehead with there circles:

"I'll give you something to think about... this circle is for Elektra... and this circle is for Karen...and this center point right here...is for when you finally realize no one cares. That I don't care about you! "

kd4im9.jpg

:headbang:

Sorry Harvey, but…

Carved in the head?

Sorry Harvey, but this is obviously NOT Daredevil (and after all the effort it took DeMatteis to put him back together after the mess they did in the early 1990s).

And that grin… :sick:

This proves for the Nth time that Bendis never knew (or cared) about the Marvel characters, and is among the biggest responsible of their contempt. (tsk)

The more I start remembering the Bendis run the more I appreciate it. I blew through it so fast in a week or two because I loved it so much, I have to go back and reread it. It was just great. :cloud9:

Even this confrontation with Bullseye.

Where Bullseye shows up in out of the shadows at Matt's house and is ready to kill yet another of Matt's girlfriends. :eek: Just a feeling of suspense, shock and horror and so well written/illustrated.

etf61y.jpg21jyxeg.jpg

Matt surprises the reader busting in and saving Milla and throws Bullseye out the window screaming "Get out of my House!" You just get the sense of an invasion of privacy and the breaking of a barrier between superhero and civilian life.

28r2r9d.jpg

Finally, you see just how angry and how much Bullseye has pushed Daredevil. He carves a bullseye into his forehead with there circles:

"I'll give you something to think about... this circle is for Elektra... and this circle is for Karen...and this center point right here...is for when you finally realize no one cares. That I don't care about you! "

kd4im9.jpg

:headbang:

Sorry Harvey, but…

Carved in the head?

Sorry Harvey, but this is obviously NOT Daredevil (and after all the effort it took DeMatteis to put him back together after the mess they did in the early 1990s).

And that grin… :sick:

This proves for the Nth time that Bendis never knew (or cared) about the Marvel characters, and is among the biggest responsible of their contempt. (tsk)

Characters change.

People evolve.

Isn't that what's so infuriating about Spider-Man? He changes too much and 50% of his fans freak out... he doesn't change at all and the other 50% freak out.

DD always had that dark, noir-ish feel as a solo-vigilente character. He always had this in him.

It may not be your DD, but it's certainly mine :cloud9:

And that's the thing - you'd have to EXPECT him to change and have so much hatred and anger built up...

The guy killed Elektra. Killed Karen Page and laughed about it. And right before this confrontation happened...

Matt was dealing with the repercussions of his identity being leaked out. And he comes to find his archnemesis ready to torment and probably kill his latest love. Imagine the amount of pressure built up. That's what is so excellent about it - it's "real". The sense of invasion of privacy. The anger that someone's home is violated like that! He had enough. Daredevil never kills. But that doesn't mean he is beyond doing something permanent. I loved it! :cloud9:

And that's the thing - you'd have to EXPECT him to change and have so much hatred and anger built up...

The guy killed Elektra. Killed Karen Page and laughed about it. And right before this confrontation happened...

Matt was dealing with the repercussions of his identity being leaked out. And he comes to find his archnemesis ready to torment and probably kill his latest love. Imagine the amount of pressure built up. That's what is so excellent about it - it's "real". The sense of invasion of privacy. The anger that someone's home is violated like that! He had enough. Daredevil never kills. But that doesn't mean he is beyond doing something permanent. I loved it! :cloud9:

Exactly! DD's life was always being torn apart. He was always having to rebuild himself. Way too many deaths of loved ones around him. Probably the Marvel character whose suffered the most. Anybody can snap in those circumstances. In fact, I find that more believable than good ol' Matthew Murdock putting on another brave face, shaking hands and kissing babies.

Brubaker extended this belief too. When he had Ox (was it Ox? One of the Enforcers) chained up hanging in a warehouse about to break all his limbs.

Heck, ALL of this culminated in Shadowland. Where DD basically loses his mind.

I <3 Noir-DD

You know which scene I loved?

Where DD was being followed... and he sensed it.

Then he figured out it was Bullseye based on the way the wind whistled threw his fingers (Bullseye only had 4 fingers in 1 hand... thanks to DD cutting one off).

That was so awesome!

Then he figured out it was Bullseye based on the way the wind whistled threw his fingers (Bullseye only had 4 fingers in 1 hand... thanks to DD cutting one off).

That was so awesome!

(shrug) Vol. 3?? If so - I'm not there yet! doh!

That was so awesome!

(shrug) Vol. 3?? If so - I'm not there yet! doh!

Don't remember which issue but yup, Vol 3. Could have been a Brubaker run but for some reason Im thinking Bendis.

Born Again - bought those issues when I was in high school. Having to wait a month between issues was unbearable!

Man Without Fear - more incredible Miller storytelling, fantastic JRJR artwork

183-184 Child's Play - More great issues

I've never read the Bendis stuff, but upon hearing everyone's praise...I'm off to find some trade paperbacks!

When I first started selling my comics again I knew I put a decent price on the Bendis/Brubaker Daredevil's for reason....thank god no one coughed up the money so I still have the run. I got a few things ahead of it but I am going to go back and re-read it soon! Between Erndog and Harvey's post they are making me want to drop what I'm doing and read them now! :headbang: Also need to pick up DD Love and War and DD The Man With No Fear because this thread, They sound great!

so again, any love for End of Days or should I skip it.

(My Man without fear issue 1 was estimated 8.0 and another issue one at 9.4 on the buddy spare a grade thread BTW.)

so again, any love for End of Days or should I skip it.

(My Man without fear issue 1 was estimated 8.0 and another issue one at 9.4 on the buddy spare a grade thread BTW.)

I liked it.

It's got a bit of a hook that makes you keep reading. I'm not giving anything away when I say this (happens so early) but when Bullseye kills DD, Matt's last word keeps Ben Urich up at night trying to figure out what it means, if anything....

"Mapone"

Sound interesting?