• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer photos back in the day

194 posts in this topic

This could be a fun thread. a collector sent me this image from our booth dated 1988 from a NY comic-con. Pre-internet or auction houses. It was tough to find key books. I bet there are plenty of great pics of dealer displays back through the ages. Perhaps prior to 10 years a good cut-off?

As an FYI we started as Comic Book and Art dealers in the seventies and were originally named Comics and Stories. That is my son poking his head into the shot who is now 30 and a lawyer.

nycc1988-md.jpg

..... Joe, what's the chance of getting a brief Bio ?....... how you got into collecting, then dealing, etc..... ? I used to love your High End Market report in CBM. I find it cool that you and your wife both seem to share a kindred spirit in the comic market... GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

This could be a fun thread. a collector sent me this image from our booth dated 1988 from a NY comic-con. Pre-internet or auction houses. It was tough to find key books. I bet there are plenty of great pics of dealer displays back through the ages. Perhaps prior to 10 years a good cut-off?

As an FYI we started as Comic Book and Art dealers in the seventies and were originally named Comics and Stories. That is my son poking his head into the shot who is now 30 and a lawyer.

nycc1988-md.jpg

Earliest known example of photobombing.

Awesome pic!

:golfclap:

Somebody name all the books on that wall please.

I will tell you that at the time I had four Action 1s, two in my own collection and two for sale. One is the copy with the one rusted staple that allegedly sold for over 1MM.

The Fox books on the wall are Mile Highs, ironically the original purchaser consigned them a month ago and I am going to submit for grading.

A bio covering 50 odd years of collecting would take quite awhile.

I wrote this some time ago when asked about our silver age collection.

http://allstarauc.com/mannarinocollection.htm

Apparently, we know each other but excuse me for not knowing your handle.

Best

Joe

..... that was great..... I love to read other collector's/dealer's "origin" stories. Thank you, sir :cloud9: GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus) (thumbs u

nycc1988-md.jpg

Earliest known example of photobombing.

Awesome pic!

:golfclap:

Somebody name all the books on that wall please.

First row, Four Color 147, Marvel Comics 1, Master Comics 3, Amazing Spiderman 1, Avenger 1, Daredevil 1

Second row, Adventure Comics 49, Flash Comic 29, All Winner 1, Detective Comics 11, Two Action Comics 1, Captain Marvel Adventures 1, Whiz 1, Star Spangled Comics 1, Four Color 275, Submariner 34, too small for me to identify

You guys can do the rest.

Second row, Adventure Comics 49, Flash Comic 29, All Winner 1, Detective Comics 11, Two Action Comics 1, Captain Marvel Adventures 1, Whiz 1, Star Spangled Comics 1, Four Color 275, Submariner 34, too small for me to identify

I'm going with Shield-Wizard 5 :)

I visited Metropolis's office last year. Vincent has some very cool pictures from the 90's as well.

Here is a picture of Vincent that I took back in the early 90s before he joined Metropolis

youngvinny.jpg