• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Dealer photos back in the day

194 posts in this topic

Here's one from 1994 when I opened my shop. What i most remember about this, aside from not having gray hair yet, was the newspaper ran the article before I had our stock moved in. You'll notice the photo is pretty cropped. There was nothing else in the store! So while i never had 2 Action 1's :cloud9: , we did have a nice slew of silver age but I couldn't feature any of it in the photo. I grabbed a book from a closeout buy I had purchased the day before.

SHOPPHOTO1994_zpse0771790.jpeg

Here's one from 1994 when I opened my shop. What i most remember about this, aside from not having gray hair yet, was the newspaper ran the article before I had our stock moved in. You'll notice the photo is pretty cropped. There was nothing else in the store! So while i never had 2 Action 1's :cloud9: , we did have a nice slew of silver age but I couldn't feature any of it in the photo. I grabbed a book from a closeout buy I had purchased the day before.

SHOPPHOTO1994_zpse0771790.jpeg

I like the starter brand shirt Greg :)

Hi Joe! Nice to see you around these parts.

This thread is interesting as I'm about to go through the Moondog archives for a project I'm starting. Here are a few that are already in my Photobucket account.

From Entrepreneur Magazine 1992

Entrepreneur_zps45003fbf.jpg

Reading a Golden Age Green Hornet in 1966. This photo was taken for the Joliet Catholic High School's student paper. They did a story on weird freshman with strange hobby...

Gary1966.jpg

The first Moondog's store in 1978

Moondogs1978.jpg

From 1994. The keys from the Good Morning America Collection

GaryandGMACollection.jpg

Gary

It has been a long time, hope all is well with you and the family.

Seeing a lot of familiar "faces" reminds me of not only the many conventions but of the days at Christie's.

There is a thread unto itself.... the grading committees.

I am sure many are not aware that part of the genesis of CGC were the Grading Committees at Christie's and Sotheby's.

These came out of necessity as the major houses had a "buyer beware policy" that required potential bidders to view items and bid based on their opinions with no assurance as to grades. This put us in a tough position as those running the sales were asked to grade all the books putting the burden squarely on us!

The solution in order to give collectors assurance, was to establish a committee made up of 10 "experts" half dealers half collectors. Every book was graded by all parties and the average grade assigned.

This was done without pay and we had some of the great times in terms of conversation and camaraderie.

I will throw some names out there but Gary was there for one at least!

Gary

It has been a long time, hope all is well with you and the family.

Seeing a lot of familiar "faces" reminds me of not only the many conventions but of the days at Christie's.

There is a thread unto itself.... the grading committees.

I am sure many are not aware that part of the genesis of CGC were the Grading Committees at Christie's and Sotheby's.

These came out of necessity as the major houses had a "buyer beware policy" that required potential bidders to view items and bid based on their opinions with no assurance as to grades. This put us in a tough position as those running the sales were asked to grade all the books putting the burden squarely on us!

The solution in order to give collectors assurance, was to establish a committee made up of 10 "experts" half dealers half collectors. Every book was graded by all parties and the average grade assigned.

This was done without pay and we had some of the great times in terms of conversation and camaraderie.

I will throw some names out there but Gary was there for one at least!

I'm sure I recall photos of the graders with their white gloves on.