• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Put up or Shut up! What is your best WWII comic or magazine cover?

128 posts in this topic

Batman really didn't have a lot of great war covers, but these are probably the three best from the run. Can't compete with the Timely covers.

batman_30s.jpg

Very interesting date stamp on that book, Greg. hm

Given the date and the cover concept, June 13 1945 was the day the Oroku Peninsula fell to U.S. Marines during the Battle of Okinawa.

By account, the Oroku Peninsula was the last point of organized resistance on the island for the Imperial Japanese Navy.

http://www.japanupdate.com/2013/02/tunnel-walls-document-final-hours-of-battle/

My best group shot (with Captain Marvel Jr.).

Right! I forgot the #41, together with #30 among the most wonderful Raboy covers… :whee:

XXVqFxzh.jpg

#33 is sweet but these two are really evocative. :)

Given the date and the cover concept, June 13 1945 was the day the Oroku Peninsula fell to U.S. Marines during the Battle of Okinawa.

By account, the Oroku Peninsula was the last point of organized resistance on the island for the Imperial Japanese Navy.

I have an entire 1945 run of italian journal il Vittorioso which was a subscription; the boy (presumably) who subscribed used to note in pencil the arrival dates, and one of the subscription tags bears the date of April 25, 1945.

The subscriber lived in Rome, and Rome was already liberated, but nonetheless it’s awesome to have such a date. :D

My best group shot (with Captain Marvel Jr.).

Right! I forgot the #41, together with #30 among the most wonderful Raboy covers… :whee:

XXVqFxzh.jpg

#33 is sweet but these two are really evocative. :)

I have an entire 1945 run of italian journal il Vittorioso which was a subscription; the boy (presumably) who subscribed used to note in pencil the arrival dates, and one of the subscription tags bears the date of April 25, 1945.

The subscriber lived in Rome, and Rome was already liberated, but nonetheless it’s awesome to have such a date. :D

And once again we must note that the Crime Crusaders were in issue 41.

8583328365_75c33a4abe_c.jpg

Just out of curiosity, are there any German or Italian comics still surviving from WWII that show the opposing viewpoint? I am making the assumption, of course, that comics existed in those countries at that time, which may be wrong.