• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Put up or Shut up! What is your best WWII comic or magazine cover?

128 posts in this topic

Pens and rag dolls apparently. Also, is there a date for this poster? Just wondering if it was post '43 or not.

I think this is like an urban myth. It is more likely the posters were created to keep children from scavenging the bombed-out buildings and debris. Unexploded bombs and dangerous structural damage to buildings could be a substantial hazard to civilians. […]

Yes, it appears quite obvious that the propagandistic motives within all the contemporary means are often difficult to isolate and evaluate, especially from such a time distance, and far from the war climate as it must have been experienced by the population back then.

My parents were about 9-10 years old at the time, and the worry of parents and adults to keep them from possible inexploded or dangerous objects was a consistent element in their everyday lives.

The poster (I have checked and it should be from 1943), being from the RSI has obviously a propagandistic overtone which has the risk to make people forget, historically wise, that children – while obviously often more optimistic than adults – were dead scared by bombings or other war events which touched their everyday reality in a direct way.

I have found on Scribd a well researched and informative article on these topics from 2006, titled "Special weapons for psychologic war: the explosive pens between propaganda and reality", but unfortunately it’s in italian only. However, it’s short so if someone is interested I could attempt a quick translation:

http://it.scribd.com/doc/12399432/Penne-Esplosive-Seconda-Guerra-Modiale-Carlo-Clerici

I would be really interested!

Awesome book, Twistty, I’d love to read it. Is there any stories written by Biro within?

@ vaillant - Just want to say thank you for posting all that stuff.

Fascinating stuff, eh? And I am super excited as while going ahead with my "bit by bit" occasional research I just discovered one of the leading authors of Il Vittorioso, Kurt Caesar – the author of Romano, the italian nationalist hero during fascism, which was born from german parents, and thus did study in Germany and did the military service there, was called to arms during the war, and served as an interpreter for General Rommell in Africa.

This would not be so surprising, what is is that as a youngster he wished to work as an artist, and his family was not particularly happy about it. When he returned in Italy to his wife and son, after serving in Africa – and here comes the most awesome part – he joined the italian resistence movement, and at his own risk (and of his family) he was simultaneously a german officier and an italian partisan!

But the most awesome news is that one of the partisans which he saved from death, which was a 16 years old boy at the time, is still alive and I’ll be hopefully interviewing him soon. :whee:

I’d also love to interview Earl Norem, which fought in my zone, in the Po valley, as a young ally soldier at the end of the war, but I don’t know how to reach him.