• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Put up or Shut up! What is your best WWII comic or magazine cover?

128 posts in this topic

A few other very striking Boccasile paintings.

"Samurai" – famous postcard produced to exalt the Tripartite Pact (1942)

PKUWyGdh.jpg

"Defend her!!" (from the RSI period as well, so 1943-45):

LtZoZCdh.jpg

"Be silent! The enemy is listening you" (1942)

5RN1WLvh.jpg

Good Friday. Passion of Christ, and of Treviso (refers to an April 1944 bombing):

JJfYbePh.jpg

When it comes to WWII imagery, I'm with Vailant: The best stuff to display on your wall are the propaganda posters. I have a decent selection of these. My favorites are those put out by the Office of War Information ("OWI") in support of the "United Nations Fight For Freedom" theme:

United_Nations_%22Fight_For_Freedom%22_poster.jpg

1-the-united-nations-fight-for-freedom-war-is-hell-store.jpg

USX16982z.jpg

When it comes to WWII imagery, I'm with Vailant: The best stuff to display on your wall are the propaganda posters. I have a decent selection of these. My favorites are those put out by the Office of War Information ("OWI") in support of the "United Nations Fight For Freedom" theme:

United_Nations_%22Fight_For_Freedom%22_poster.jpg

1-the-united-nations-fight-for-freedom-war-is-hell-store.jpg

USX16982z.jpg

I have never seen these before. Beautiful artwork and very inspiring at the time I'm sure.

Ken

Impossible to choose just one. Here are 3 of my top 20... or 25.

599CAD6C-B52B-4DDA-8E69-B8C4062A3389-10102-00000813DDAD87B2.jpg

exciting35cgc6_0oww_zpsfec60ba6.jpg

D3436B07-6275-4BE7-B963-BB680E07925D-12117-0000097FF8F7C970.jpg

I have always loved that Exciting Comics#39. The only other 'children in peril' cover that I think rivals it is 'Daredevil Comics #22(a non war cover though). Nice! I would post more pics but it's just too confusing for this site(sorry). I have followed everyone here's instructions and still only get 'links' that half the time, don't open when you all try to use it. Oh we'll, still love to take part in the discussions though.

Poster diffused to inform the population about the dangers of explosive pens dropped by US bombers:

VhvRQ7oh.jpg

This is an interesting bit of propaganda. I've read a little about this, discussing whether or not it actually happened.

Impossible to choose just one. Here are 3 of my top 20... or 25.

599CAD6C-B52B-4DDA-8E69-B8C4062A3389-10102-00000813DDAD87B2.jpg

exciting35cgc6_0oww_zpsfec60ba6.jpg

D3436B07-6275-4BE7-B963-BB680E07925D-12117-0000097FF8F7C970.jpg

I have always loved that Exciting Comics#39. The only other 'children in peril' cover that I think rivals it is 'Daredevil Comics #22(a non war cover though). Nice! I would post more pics but it's just too confusing for this site(sorry). I have followed everyone here's instructions and still only get 'links' that half the time, don't open when you all try to use it. Oh we'll, still love to take part in the discussions though.

Thank you... It's a great cover and I knew from the minute I saw a copy that I would need to get one...I've always loved the Air Fighters 6 as well, from a propagandistic perspective.

Poster diffused to inform the population about the dangers of explosive pens dropped by US bombers:

VhvRQ7oh.jpg

This is an interesting bit of propaganda. I've read a little about this, discussing whether or not it actually happened.

Compared to fire bombing and blockbusters, an exploding pen seems kind of silly. It must be symbolic.

VhvRQ7oh.jpg

Compared to fire bombing and blockbusters, an exploding pen seems kind of silly. It must be symbolic.

Pens and rag dolls apparently. Also, is there a date for this poster? Just wondering if it was post '43 or not.

VhvRQ7oh.jpg

We did drop them but each pen was clearly labeled "Adults Only".

Pens and rag dolls apparently. Also, is there a date for this poster? Just wondering if it was post '43 or not.

I think most of the posters I have posted are from the RSI period.

I have not read detailed historical studies, but regardless of the form and the small size, there were for sure a good number of unexploded devices which caused serious injuries or death to both children and adults (children were probably more bound to be involved as they were very likely less cautious and circumspect when finding something which might have been explosive).

VhvRQ7oh.jpg

I think this is like an urban myth. It is more likely the posters were created to keep children from scavenging the bombed-out buildings and debris. Unexploded bombs and dangerous structural damage to buildings could be a substantial hazard to civilians. WWII was a horrible tragedy with abuses on both sides. Firebombing of Dresden and Tokyo are good examples of excessive abuse of the civilian population...and we shouldn't need to mention the atomic bombs dropped on two Japanese cities. Chemical weapons used by the Japanese in China and concentration camps developed to murder Jews and political prisoners were just the part of the horror.

Comic books in the US were part of the propaganda machine used to generate support for the war effort.

VhvRQ7oh.jpg

I think this is like an urban myth. It is more likely the posters were created to keep children from scavenging the bombed-out buildings and debris. Unexploded bombs and dangerous structural damage to buildings could be a substantial hazard to civilians. WWII was a horrible tragedy with abuses on both sides. Firebombing of Dresden and Tokyo are good examples of excessive abuse of the civilian population...and we shouldn't need to mention the atomic bombs dropped on two Japanese cities. Chemical weapons used by the Japanese in China and concentration camps developed to murder Jews and political prisoners were just the part of the horror.

Comic books in the US were part of the propaganda machine used to generate support for the war effort.

bombs started it. bombs finished it.

I think this is like an urban myth. It is more likely the posters were created to keep children from scavenging the bombed-out buildings and debris. Unexploded bombs and dangerous structural damage to buildings could be a substantial hazard to civilians. […]

Yes, it appears quite obvious that the propagandistic motives within all the contemporary means are often difficult to isolate and evaluate, especially from such a time distance, and far from the war climate as it must have been experienced by the population back then.

My parents were about 9-10 years old at the time, and the worry of parents and adults to keep them from possible inexploded or dangerous objects was a consistent element in their everyday lives.

The poster (I have checked and it should be from 1943), being from the RSI has obviously a propagandistic overtone which has the risk to make people forget, historically wise, that children – while obviously often more optimistic than adults – were dead scared by bombings or other war events which touched their everyday reality in a direct way.

I have found on Scribd a well researched and informative article on these topics from 2006, titled "Special weapons for psychologic war: the explosive pens between propaganda and reality", but unfortunately it’s in italian only. However, it’s short so if someone is interested I could attempt a quick translation:

http://it.scribd.com/doc/12399432/Penne-Esplosive-Seconda-Guerra-Modiale-Carlo-Clerici

Chemical weapons used by the Japanese in China and concentration camps developed to murder Jews and political prisoners were just the part of the horror.

Not to forget the Okinawa mass omicides/suicides.

This is a very interesting article about what’s been called a japanese "textbook case of revisionist history":

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/07/world/asia/07okinawa.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0