• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Put up or Shut up! What is your best WWII comic or magazine cover?

128 posts in this topic

3373427917_790858e4fe_b.jpg

Was the mosquito detectable with radar? It was made out of plywood but the engines were still metal. Fast too.

I'm glad you posted a Wings, and a nice one too!

Due to their low radar signature, sorties of Mosquito fighters were frequently mistaken as flocks of birds!

For its time, this was the fastest aircraft flying, with a top airspeed of 380 mph.

Wow, so much awesome stuff!

To reply Michael: yes, I think it is an important distinction the one between period pieces (or stuff published in 1945-46) and subsequent material.

All important and/or cool in its own right, but the assumptions (and the creators' background) is necessarily different.

So (being from the early 1950s) the Fleetway books are basically comparable to Mainline‘s Foxhole, as Kirby and Simon wanted to create war stories from veteran’s memories – I just got my first one:

AFddy5Th.jpg

Two panels from the two-page Kirby story "Hot Box" (these are found images, not scanned from my copy, BTW):

ijehP6ph.png

xTvDgTih.png

"L’Intrepido" was the only other italian title to publish a war-related story close to the end of the war. "Cuore garibaldino nuovo episodio" is a three part story published between 1945 and 1947 which shows the very first depiction of concentration camps (imagined, because actual pictures weren’t circulating yet).

I don’t have that specific issue, but I have some from 1946:

bTlBUUdh.jpg

As Michael righteously said (and that was what Bo_Hogg mostly expected, I guess), the more striking images came from different publications than comics.

Italian illustrator Boccasile produced paintings of strking power. If one gets past the racial undertones (US soldiers had to be pictured as black, so they looked more "savage" and ruthless), they have an incredible power, and they also document the conflictual feelings of the italian population torn between civil war and fear of the allies' bombs.

Some Republic of Salò posters are particularly striking, like this one (I have an early 1950s publication documenting the damages brought by bombing to the italian landscape which uses it as a cover):

boc_6.jpg

Another striking RSI poster image:

(I assume "V" stands for "Victory"?)

boccasile-espiazione.jpg

Wow, so much awesome stuff!

To reply Michael: yes, I think it is an important distinction the one between period pieces (or stuff published in 1945-46) and subsequent material.

All important and/or cool in its own right, but the assumptions (and the creators' background) is necessarily different.

Our perspective is different again, because we do not have the lived experience of the world at war to look back on. I also find the prewar era especially poignant.

Some other very striking ones.

(These are larger and can be double clicked to see a bigger version – I don’t have most of these, so I choose the best ones found on the web):

National Association of Families of the Fallen, Chivasso (1942)

Postcard

Sv2PIQgh.jpg

"Fratricide!" (1944)

5tYVDIbh.jpg

This one commemorates the death of over 180 children, killed in the bombing of a primary school in the Gorla district of the city of Milano (October 20, 1944)

5nsNpd7h.jpg

Wow.

To state the obvious, what is produced during the war is invariably propaganda. What is produced after, reminiscence.

That goes for sure. You can be told (as I have been several times by both my parents, grandparents and friends which lived the events) but you can’t figure them out properly, just attempt to draw the general lines (and the individual drama) as best as you can.

To tell you a thing, by many children american soldiers were truly experienced as the liberators, but at the same time the memories left from the bombings are indelible.

My mother (born in 1934) was a bit scared the first time he saw a black soldier, but she loved the chocolate brought by the allies. :)

This is probably the first depiction in comics of the bombing of the Montecassino abbey (american science fiction writer Walter Miller Jr. was part of the squad), as an opening to a St. Benedict biography. From a "Treasure Chest" issue from late 1944 (I don’t have it at hand):

DVsktLvh.jpg

This is a 1944 book I recently bought which documents the damage to italian artistic patrimony produced by the allies' bombing. The book is unbiased, and has no propaganda overtones, and the title translates as "war against art":

7kH6zYxl.jpg