• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

2014 March Madness Comic Grading Tournament - Seeding Round

439 posts in this topic

Oh look at me... I did my picks quick on the iPhone and ended up 19-2! Well lah dee dah!! :baiting:

That's nothing, I did mine on a Commodore 64 and went 17-3 (or whatever I got)! :banana:

And let me guess, CGC is verifying the seeding round results by mail, and have yet to send them out? meh

you guys can brag all you went, but there can only be one. And it's usually the same people year after year.

I have no illusions of winning, as I just don't want to allocate the amount of time needed to really grade the books properly. I just look at them and think "what CGC book have I seen that looks similar to this?" and then pop a grade down. 1-2 minutes and I'm done.

The people who win each year are SERIOUS about winning, and carefully grade each book at high resolution, documenting each defect individually, load the image into Photoshop and run various filters looking for hidden damage. Then they consult a wide array of CGC books to see similarities and differences. Then, and only then, do they grade an individual book.

And they do that for each and every book n each and every round. These are the same people who got 100% on tests in HS and said they didn't study. In reality, they were studying every night, working hard, as I am living proof that you can't get higher than the 90% range without opening a book all year, no matter how smart you are. lol

I freely admit I just don't have the time nor the inclination to do this, and if you also don't, then you have no hope of winning. I just play to have fun, and will be happy with my 80-90%.

If you want to win, you need to take the contest very, very seriously. :whatev:

The top 11 on the list receive 1st round byes.

catrick339 18-0

jaybuck43 23-0

mrwoogieman 23-0

universal soldier 17-0

Boboset 21-1

Ninjasealed 21-1

toro 18-1

AJD 16-1

thirdgreenham 16-1

BorderlineHoarder 15-1

Fantastic Thor 15-1

The top 12 on the list receive 1st round byes.

catrick339 18-0

jaybuck43 23-0

mrwoogieman 23-0

universal soldier 17-0

Boboset 21-1

Ninjasealed 21-1

toro 18-1

AJD 16-1

thirdgreenham 16-1

BorderlineHoarder 15-1

Fantastic Thor 15-1

sckao 15-1

:whee:

The top 12 on the list receive 1st round byes.

catrick339 18-0

jaybuck43 23-0

mrwoogieman 23-0

universal soldier 17-0

Boboset 21-1

Ninjasealed 21-1

toro 18-1

AJD 16-1

thirdgreenham 16-1

BorderlineHoarder 15-1

Fantastic Thor 15-1

sckao 15-1

Would be nice to do that for the bottom 12 as well :grin:

Did everyone above the grey line make the cut? If so - just barely in! I've got to avoid the large scans - they play tricks on my eyes! I went with a 1.0 on the Action since the bottom of the book looks eaten away which looks even worse when blown up.

I submitted my grades, but did not see my name on the list.

I think I went 14-1.

ALso, I pm'd you this same message!

The top 11 on the list receive 1st round byes.

catrick339 18-0

jaybuck43 23-0

mrwoogieman 23-0

universal soldier 17-0

Boboset 21-1

Ninjasealed 21-1

toro 18-1

AJD 16-1

thirdgreenham 16-1

BorderlineHoarder 15-1

Fantastic Thor 15-1

Might just be my first time making it to the second round! I'll take it!

(: