• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Stubborn eBay Sellers...what's their game plan?

288 posts in this topic

Certain eBay sellers seem to never adjust their pricing, even in the face of clear evidence that it's stratospherically high.

As an example, I just won this Action 427 9.6 White. It's a beautiful copy with excellent eye appeal:

Action 427 9.6W

I was the only bidder at 49.99. Yet much less attractive 9.6's sit on eBay at $120 and $200 for months or years. Do these sellers just not want to make a sale? What's the game plan?

Possibly it's their "I don't want to sell it price." If somebody is willing to give them that much for it, they will sell it, but they aren't going to lower the price to get rid if it/make a sale.

Or they just don't pay attention to the market trends, which is possible.

No clue. I have been looking at someone with my birth month/year Thor on eBay for about 6 months now. He hasn't ever dropped the price a dime even though it's a common book and will probably never sell for the price he has it up for. I just got some nice BA CGC Thor's for cheaper, so I will probably never buy it.

They're fishing for suckers, "comicmylars" and "comicmancomicsbooks1stapp" (aka Blackstar Comics) are two of the biggest offenders.

I don't know a thing about their prices but comicmylars has some amazing books on ebay.

Some sellers on ebay just do not want to make money even if you are willing to just throw it at them. There was a book I was very interested in on ebay from a particular seller with a best offer option. I offered gpa they let the offer expire, I tried to offer again and they raised there best offer price, they let it expire. A month goes by, make a higher offer, they let it expire. Rinse and repeat them letting the offer expire and raise the best offer price multiple times. Until an ebay 10% rewards offer comes up, I want the book so offer 10$ under their asking price, they deny and raise the price 3x higher then remove the book from ebay.

I don't understand people sometimes.

Depending on the book, they are trying to corner the market.

For example: Back in December a UXM 297 Gold 9.8 sold for $900 on ebay. Now recently, someone has another on ebay for $2500 (he dropped it down to $1700 a day or two ago) but that is the only one on ebay. If you want a 9.8, you have to pay his outrageous price. He will probably get it too once you can no longer see the one that sold for $900.

I know a guy who prices his ebay books ridiculously high just to entertain the best offers.

I never bothered making a reasonable offer to Archangels because I assumed it would be immediately rejected.

They're fishing for suckers, "comicmylars" and "comicmancomicsbooks1stapp" (aka Blackstar Comics) are two of the biggest offenders.

I'm still waiting for the day when I run into Blackstar comics at a convention. I have to ask him to his face about the prices, ughh, he's one of the biggest reasons I avoid ebay when buying.

I'm still waiting for the day when I run into Blackstar comics at a convention. I have to ask him to his face about the prices, ughh, he's one of the biggest reasons I avoid ebay when buying.

What's the big deal. His stuff, he gets to set the price, if the price is crazy, you move on.

Why is there angst about what other people set their prices to? Because he has a toy you don't want to pay his price for?

What's the big deal. His stuff, he gets to set the price, if the price is crazy, you move on.

Why is there angst about what other people set their prices to? Because he has a toy you don't want to pay his price for?

Yeah, his expensive toys make me so jealous. :eyeroll:

I wasn't directing my comment at you, you don't seem to be all upset about it like others in this thread......

I wasn't directing my comment at you, you don't seem to be all upset about it like others in this thread......

My mistake then.

I don't know a thing about their prices but comicmylars has some amazing books on ebay.

yes he does ! he buys them on the auction sites and then jacks them up and throws them on ebay. 60 percent of his stock came from clink auctions. Good for him if he gets the money it is America. I do agree ebay is not the place anymore to get good priced slabs. Look elsewhere !

I will admit it that I do it.

A few reasons.

First off I sell ZERO comics on FleaBay- I sell other collectibles.

But it does draw attention to it.

But I ALWAYS place a best offer feature on it. I let it draw eyes cause we all sort by highest price too and I always sell it for a reasonable price when an offer is made. I do stay in reality and not think a $500 item is worth $1,000 and just be foolish about it.

But why not place a high price on it and let them offer more than I would have taken if I had put a buy it now on it with no best offer.

It's all a game at the end of the day and no different than going to a con. The difference is you see eBay everyday and cons come and go so I bet it happens more than you think.

Call it crappy if ya want....I just call it running a business and making money to just cover all my losses and other vices. :)

yah it doesn't cost anything to post something at a god-offer price, and it might draw attention to stuff you actually want to sell. doesn't hurt anyone. if you don't like the price, make in offer or move on. no big deal.