• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Meet The New Catwoman!

127 posts in this topic

Good thing you aren't part of the voting when it comes to the Oscars, eh?

-slym

holy spoon I would shake things up! dances with wolves, out of africa, harry and the hendersons, crash, training day, shakespeare in love-the list goes on and on...

Remember when people were up in arms over Heath Ledger playing the Joker?

I won't pass any judgement until I see the show. She's a cute kid. Hopefully she'll do well.

I'm still up in arms about heath ledger joker. the overacting was just awful.

Heath-Ledger-consigue-Oscar-postumo-interpretacion-caballero-oscuro.jpg

yep and the best movies always get the awards don't they. Like The English Patient'. Wasn't that just magnificent?

or Gone With the Wind, Casablanca, The Bridge on the River Kwai, Lawrence of Arabia, The Godfather, The Godfather part 2, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, The Deer Hunter, The Silence of the Lambs etc...

they were all turkeys, eh?

I never said they were all turkeys-just that not all oscar winners were good. if you think they are, I am stunned. There's politics involved. also when an actor dies, that gives the film a sympathy advantage. Sure that movie was popular but so was 'Porky's'. I thought it was awful.

but they're not all aimed at the demographic that i would be in...someone out there likes them enough

-slym

holy spoon I would shake things up! dances with wolves, out of africa, harry and the hendersons, crash, training day, shakespeare in love-the list goes on and on...

an actor winning an oscar for acting is a bit different than a film winning an oscar for best picture.

-slym

an actor winning an oscar for acting is a bit different than a film winning an oscar for best picture.

so the oscars are spot-on when they name best actor but screw up for best pic?

-slym

who said they screw up best pic?

-slym

nevermind

-slym

nevermind

oh yeah, it was you :facepalm:

-slym

nevermind

yeah the english patient was great wasn't it? :facepalm:

-slym

nevermind

to the majority of voters that year....yeah it was their favourite from the list they had to choose from

you're not going to like every film but that doesn't make them bad

-slym

nevermind

to the majority of voters that year....yeah it was their favourite from the list they had to choose from

you're not going to like every film but that doesn't make them bad

fair enough. the english patient was bad enough that seinfeld devoted an entire show to mocking it but i guess enough people liked it. i personally thought ledger way overacted in that role but that's just my take on it-most people didn't have a problem with it. as slym once said it's useless to argue who's opinion is 'right'....because no opinion can be 'wrong'.

keep in mind the ape costumes from planet of the apes won over the ape costumes in '2001'....

Not sure what you mean by "spot on". Since there is no way to quantify acting ability using an objective scoring system it all comes down to being a subjective decision based on the opinions of the voters.

I would have to believe that a best acting nomination dismisses any notion of the actor having overacted as nonsense garbage. The exceptions to the rule being Gwyneth Paltrow in film and Claire Danes in television.

Not sure what you mean by "spot on". Since there is no way to quantify acting ability using an objective scoring system it all comes down to being a subjective decision based on the opinions of the voters.

I would have to believe that a best acting nomination dismisses any notion of the actor having overacted as nonsense garbage. The exceptions to the rule being Gwyneth Paltrow in film and Claire Danes in television.

so you get to pick when overacting occurs but no one else....

Say, that girl they cast as Catwoman sure is getting people to talk, eh?

:whistle:

-slym (cross-thread posting to make a point about how some topics get off-track) :D

lol

When I started this thread Friday, I thought people would be excited to see a cute kid who is gonna grow up into a major character on a funnybook TV show, like the kids in the Harry Potter movies or Tom Welling on Smallville. But, then she was called a toad, dwarf and her hair was compared to rope (!).

I'm pretty sure it will be only be a recurring type part, not a regular. I'm not sure where all the Wesley Crusher backlash is coming from then?

Oscar politics too? (shrug)