• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC on Comic Book Men

84 posts in this topic

It was definitely some good advertising by CGC.

That's all it was,probably cost CGC a pretty penny to advertise on the show.

I wonder who it was targeted at. People that dont know about CGC but spend large dollars on books worth getting graded? Was it those Artesians?? who?

It was directed towards the Mayans.

I have been to the comic shop a couple times before the show started.. it was a mess

Comic boxes all over the place.. no organization and no one in the store.

I am not sure who I dealt with but he was trying to sell a beater copy of Hulk 181 for way over market value to me.

It was basically a shrine to all things Kevin Smith...which I have no issue with since it is his store. I am amazed every time they show the store now because it looks clean and more welcoming.

My only question where is the Buddy Christ statue they had in the store... that thing was awesome!

Also I am happy to see CGC in a comic show... it will only grow and educate people on our small section of the hobby. Great job Shawn!!

It was my LCS when I worked on Red Bank from 2006 - 2008. They always were friendly and had a great selection of books. Mike and Walt were the main two in there at that time. Don't remember seeing Ming or Brian.

(did they really say $3.2M?)

lol No. But it was ridiculous multiples. Like say raw sold for $160 in NM and same comic in CGC 9.6 sold for $3258

Spoon like that. Those who remember the ads get the joke. :) This was before Al Gore even thought about inventing the internet. So we all had to go the local LCS to get our comics every week. Everyone used to read those ads and laugh out loud. CGC did get everyone to know their name. I'll give them that.

Those adds were not that far from reality.

You used to be able to pick up raw NM copies of common X-Men books and flip them for $1000-1500 eachif you scored a 9.8. And Keys like XM 94 were 25k+ in 9.8...

I believe those ads were based on real Ebay sales, one a raw NM and the other a CGC graded equivalent.

Correct. And in the early days of CGC, some books did bring incredible multiples. Back when 9.6 was a tough grade, a 9.8 could fetch lots of $$$$.

From 2002-2004, before the market got flooded, you'd see some sales that (with the benefit of hindsight) were incredible.

Are you looking for the life size one or the dashboard ones? My LCS has the dashboard ones (I think they are like 20 bucks) The life size one is in the back of Secret Stash.

Tonight's episode of Comic Book Men featured a CGC representative giving his opinion on some silver age books. The customer brought in a few boxes and Walt and the guys suggested he have some of them graded. The rep then gave his opinion on the grades and the estimated value raw vs CGC. Interesting episode.

Yup. The Stash directed a potential customer away from their own business just like every store owner should do. lol

Not to play devil's advocate, but the guy did say he wanted top dollar.

And any self-respecting comic book dealer would have taken the top dollar off his stack of one's.

It was a nice little commercial/product placement ad for CGC. They just happened to have a rep in town

All reality TV is staged and fake - they actually have Guild writers on staff to create these scenarios.

It was a nice little commercial/product placement ad for CGC. They just happened to have a rep in town

The 1st mention of the CGC rep was, I believe when Walt said he had a friend or knew someone who worked for them. Then I think the story changed to he happened to be in the area. I didn't see the very end, by DVR cut out - did the guy send all the books to CGC? That's a hefty tab if so. I'll try to catch the end on demand if it's available to see tonight.

lol No. But it was ridiculous multiples. Like say raw sold for $160 in NM and same comic in CGC 9.6 sold for $3258

Spoon like that. Those who remember the ads get the joke. :) This was before Al Gore even thought about inventing the internet. So we all had to go the local LCS to get our comics every week. Everyone used to read those ads and laugh out loud. CGC did get everyone to know their name. I'll give them that.

As I recall, CGC started around the Summer/Fall of 1999. The internet had been around for a while by then.

As I recall, CGC started around the Summer/Fall of 1999. The internet had been around for a while by then.
Thanks. My memory is not what it used to be. doh!

It was just the Wizard price guide in the back of the mag, when they first started publishing. CGC's price guide came later on.

Hey... did somebody's post of the images of the ads just go poof? hm

Dang...they did go poof.

I don't see what's wrong with having those up. (shrug)

The post most likely got yanked because it came from Stu's latest shill account - the mods have been cracking down hard on him lately :shrug:

Dang...they did go poof.

I don't see what's wrong with having those up. (shrug)

The post most likely got yanked because it came from Stu's latest shill account - the mods have been cracking down hard on him lately :shrug:

Yeah. I don't even bother responding to his posts anymore. What's the point? They're all poofed within moments of him posting anyway. I guess the mods really do know what they are doing. :insane: