• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

CGC on Comic Book Men

84 posts in this topic

Tonight's episode of Comic Book Men featured a CGC representative giving his opinion on some silver age books. The customer brought in a few boxes and Walt and the guys suggested he have some of them graded. The rep then gave his opinion on the grades and the estimated value raw vs CGC. Interesting episode.

Tonight's episode of Comic Book Men featured a CGC representative giving his opinion on some silver age books. The customer brought in a few boxes and Walt and the guys suggested he have some of them graded. The rep then gave his opinion on the grades and the estimated value raw vs CGC. Interesting episode.

Yup. The Stash directed a potential customer away from their own business just like every store owner should do. lol

Yup. The Stash directed a potential customer away from their own business just like every store owner should do. lol

Not to play devil's advocate, but the guy did say he wanted top dollar.

It was definitely some good advertising by CGC.

That's all it was,probably cost CGC a pretty penny to advertise on the show.

I wonder who it was targeted at. People that dont know about CGC but spend large dollars on books worth getting graded? Was it those Artesians?? who?

What boggles me is that Mike and Walt were pretty huffy over CGC (as I recall they don't like books being graded) yet were 100% all about it last night...and that episode was filmed before mine.

I couldn't even get through that episode.

They told the guy 4-5k I think for the books graded, although they did leave out the cost of a SA being graded, and hope that they hit the grades that guy said, and the part about finding a buyer at the prices quoted. I enjoy the show, but really don't think the guys know much about current popularity and trends. Walt didn't even know Jingle all the way as a movie..It was an interesting episode..I actually think Ming has the most knowledge of current comics..

What boggles me is that Mike and Walt were pretty huffy over CGC (as I recall they don't like books being graded) yet were 100% all about it last night...and that episode was filmed before mine.

I couldn't even get through that episode.

It was that bad huh :eek: Can't wait to see it :cry:

It was definitely some good advertising by CGC.

Does CGC really need more customers? They can't even keep up with the customers they have. -Steve

I didn't see it yet, maybe tonight I will - but at least they're choosing to deal with things people might actually need to know and learn something about (shrug)

They told the guy 4-5k I think for the books graded, although they did leave out the cost of a SA being graded, and hope that they hit the grades that guy said, and the part about finding a buyer at the prices quoted. I enjoy the show, but really don't think the guys know much about current popularity and trends. Walt didn't even know Jingle all the way as a movie..It was an interesting episode..I actually think Ming has the most knowledge of current comics..

Ming doesn't know much at all,

Mike is the one in the know

Ming doesn't know much at all,

Mike is the one in the know

Mike always comes away with having the most knowledge of comic stories and characters.

It was a good episode but the cgc product placement / infomercial in the show was a bit heavy handed. Every issue seemed to quadruple in value when they were graded. Not entirely false but the values placed on the graded versions were high and did not mention where this guy was going to sell to get these prices. None of the comics were super high grade so all candidates for eBay and we all know that is hit or miss on getting a good price.

Agree that Mike seems to be the most knowledgeable comic guy in the store. I like Ming but his expertise is more in 80s and 90s pop culture and toys. He definitely knows about Transformers, He Man...