• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Should I crack CGC and have restoration or keep as a 3.5?

12 posts in this topic

Finally got a book I've been wanting since a kid...Showcase #34...that's right, the 1st appearance of Silver Age Atom!!!

I currently don't have the funds to purchase a high grade copy at the moment but I got this CGC 3.5 for $150

Question....Overall the book isn't in THAT bad of shape...main problem is the handwriting all over the title...It's currently graded as a 3.5 with WHITE pages....should I have the CGC case cracked and restoration / rewhitening the title and then submitting to CGC again for a "apparent" higher grade or just leave as is?

I love this book and am going to have it framed and hanging on my wall...but also want to keep as a investment of some sort lol

image_zps6b6eede2.jpg

I would crack it, have it CGC certified and witnessed signed by three or more artists or writers and just be sure that they sign right over the existing signatures in nice bug black markers. Then resubmit it for SS and you have a bump in the grade and signature series to boot!smiley-gen130.gif

Regarding resto, I think you would be spending a lot of money on 150.00 book = not worth it. You would have been better off spending the money on a better copy. Honestly, this copy presents well for this grade. I love the White pages. Leave it alone or sell it for a better copy.

Hard to tell from the photo how much the writing knocks the grade down, and if it's in pencil or pen. Chances are removal would involve some sort of restoration, and probably lessen the value. If it were me I'd probably crack it and leave it unrestored.