• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Did I overpay/ was it worth it?

25 posts in this topic

So I went ahead and did a big purchase for the first time in my life. I usually get lucky and find good comics cheap or they are given to me, but I saw this and couldn't resist:

112213r-024.JPG

It has a 4" spine split and missing one page. I would like to get it CGCed, and cannot decide if I should go qualified for the missing page or if it is in bad enough condition that I should just blue label it.

If you do not know about this comic, it is the first one to feature both Superman and Batman in the same comic, as well as being the debut work of Jack Burnley who set the style of comic art for years. I spent $450 on it, but I really like it and a CGCed 0.5 still fetches quite a sum. Would dry clean and pressing help? I have been collecting since I was a kid, but this is my first "rare" comic. Thank you for your time and expertise. I will post better pictures once it is in hand.

And of course, was it worth it?

a decent cgc2.5 just sold for about $650 or so... and I saw a 1.0/1.5 raw sell for $300 recently at a show...

my guess is a .5, will not be worth the price you paid and the cost to cgc...definitely not worth pressing and cleaning, since .5 is as good of a grade it can get with the missing page...

just leave as is and enjoy...

Depending on what the page is it might be worth it. As for cleaning and pressing its hard to say from the picture, I do find that eye appeal makes a huge difference on incomplete books so it might be worth a cleaning at least. I believe those thicker covers don't press as well anyway so it might not help. Best to have someone with a bit more experience look it over.

Although Rick quotes a 1.0 sale at 300, that book could have had big pieces missing or other problems, I think your copy presents nicely and it's very hard to value this lower grade incomplete stuff, but I find cleaner books do better then many people think.

James G

Depending on what the page is it might be worth it. As for cleaning and pressing its hard to say from the picture, I do find that eye appeal makes a huge difference on incomplete books so it might be worth a cleaning at least. I believe those thicker covers don't press as well anyway so it might not help. Best to have someone with a bit more experience look it over.

Although Rick quotes a 1.0 sale at 300, that book could have had big pieces missing or other problems, I think your copy presents nicely and it's very hard to value this lower grade incomplete stuff, but I find cleaner books do better then many people think.

James G

\

the 1.0/1.5 was split...looked very nice for the technical grade...just not a lot of demand for the 40 (and to a lessor extent even the 39)...

wish it wasn't so :cry:

Thank you guys for the quick responses! I plan to CGC it either way, idk if I want to get a qualified for the missing page or blue label it with the missing page. From the pic it looks like the edges are more dirty than stained, so I will look into cleaning. I will know more when it is in hand.

Hopefully I can find the missing page somewhere, any ideas where to look?

And I agree gator, it is sad the demand is so low, this comic is such a beauty! :)

Coverless copies of the 40 come up quite a bit on Ebay and elsewhere.

What page is it missing?

Metropolis has a coverless/incomplete copy for a good price right now.

NY WF 1940

If that copy has the page your missing, you should buy it, marry it and get yourself a complete qualified. Or at least that's what I'd do. I'd personally rather have a complete of another color than an incomplete blue.

Good luck! (thumbs u

Oh no! :( I am missing page 1, and so is that comic (along with three other pages apperently).... That is sad, so close! :D That is a good idea cosmic boy! I also have to agree, I would rather have a complete green/purple than an incomplete blue. Also the pages in the one I got look whiter:

112213r-026.JPG

So close. I'd just wait though. Like I said, there are a lot of coverless copies floating around out there. Somebody on the board probably even has one. Ask around. Check websites. Don't rush to slab it.

The next time I see one, I'll remember you're looking for one and let you know about it. (thumbs u

That is something I would appreciate Cosmic Boy! Any ideas where I need to ask around? And of course would I get the page married professionally, or do it myself? (I have never done something like this before)

No resto needed. Ideally, just place the cover from yours over a complete coverless copy, or find the page yours is missing and lay it in there detached.

No sense in having it restored and getting a purple. I mean you could, if you want, but that just seems like a waste of money to me.

I used to have a cover only of this book and took about 2 years before I gave up finding a coverless. They are around but it seems most folks want $300 just for a coverless. Quite a few had a missing page too. Clearly the best thing would be to find a coverless missing a back page (assuming yours is missing page 1, lets say)

Absolutely don't get this graded. A low dollar mega key that has no chance of a legit blue label should just stay raw and enjoyed. Value will never make up for what you spend on grading etc.

Its fun to try and marry the book. Keep in mind you should be able to sell the missing page(s) coverless you have remaining for at least $100 or more. Good luck.

The problem is that book is always missing the first page. I would wait to slab it tho. I have the same problem on the married vs restored issue with an all star 3 i recently pieced together.

Cool book that gets no love much like the all star 3

James G

The problem is that book is always missing the first page. I would wait to slab it tho. I have the same problem on the married vs restored issue with an all star 3 i recently pieced together.

Cool book that gets no love much like the all star 3

James G

My copy is missing page one, also. The seller was nice enough to include a B&W Xerox of it for me. I was thrilled to get a book like NY Fair '40 for the pittance I paid.

Kirby, I have found that to be a common ailment among world's fair 1940 after doing some digging, sad to see. I can easily get a xeroxed copy of the first page thanks to the internet, but I would love to find the real deal.

Supply and Demand fluctuates up and down for every comic except AF15 and IH181 hm Seriously, I think NYWF will have another day in the sun. I personally like both issues and own a 1939.

I own the 1939 and the 1940 and love them both