• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Best way to move 60+ longboxes

46 posts in this topic

You should calculate what 60 long boxes will weigh...whether they're bagged and boarded or just bagged in packs of 10 without boards. Either way, assuming 40-50lbs per long box, you'd need a vehicle that can carry a load of 2400-3000lbs. You would need a 2-ton cargo van then. (Note that some smaller U-Hauls may not be rated to carry that much either.)

I'm not even sure if the payload capacity needs to include you and your passenger (if any).

What is the best way to transport 60+ long boxes for distances over 150+ miles? Uhual? Freight shipping? Hire boardies to carry them on tricycles?

Just bought two fairly large collections and trying to figure how to move them.

Telekinetically. Or alternately, use a Helicarrier. Either one would be awesome.

Let me say nay to the Uhaul idea....they have the oldest fleet on the roads, generally poorly maintained, and unreliable in my experience. I generally rent Penske if they are nearby, as they maintain a much higher quality of cargo and rental vehicles.

Another option is to invest in a vehicle like the NV-line of cargo vans from Nissan. Gator's got one, perhaps he can chime in on their cargo capacity and reliability.

I know I can fit just short of 60 long boxes of trades/hardcovers (which weigh double per box what unboarded comics weigh) in my 2005 Astro, no passenger, heavy duty shocks and tires. You will be sluggish on the road and go thru gas like you are squirting it on the road marking your trail. The thing is a beast, doesnt break.

If you are routinely making large collection purchases, and I know your show set up is getting bigger all the time, you may want to invest in a cargo van.

I know I can fit just short of 60 long boxes of trades/hardcovers (which weigh double per box what unboarded comics weigh) in my 2005 Astro, no passenger, heavy duty shocks and tires. You will be sluggish on the road and go thru gas like you are squirting it on the road marking your trail. The thing is a beast, doesnt break.

If you are routinely making large collection purchases, and I know your show set up is getting bigger all the time, you may want to invest in a cargo van.

Your 2005 Astro has a payload capacity of 1509 I think. If you had 60 long boxes of trades/hcs at 70lbs each, that would be 4200 lb not including yourself.

That's almost 3X the maximum payload design. Pretty dangerous actually.

http://www.boston.com/cars/news/articles/2010/06/06/piling_on_too_much_weight_is_bad_for_cars_too/

I know... I did this myself. Bought a warehouse full of comics and actually dangerously overloaded a U-Haul truck. Crazy now that I think about it...

Let me say nay to the Uhaul idea....they have the oldest fleet on the roads, generally poorly maintained, and unreliable in my experience. I generally rent Penske if they are nearby, as they maintain a much higher quality of cargo and rental vehicles.

Another option is to invest in a vehicle like the NV-line of cargo vans from Nissan. Gator's got one, perhaps he can chime in on their cargo capacity and reliability.

I had the worst experience with a Uhaul. The truck fell apart on us. Penske can be hard to find, I'd try that first.

I was curious what the driver side door jamb on my Astro listed as max weights. I know 1500 sounded low, that would be a passenger car. Astro sticker states 5800 towing, 3100 payload. I know I modified van with heavy duty tires, brakes, and shocks because I occasionaly exceed those numbers for collection buys or shows.

I was curious what the driver side door jamb on my Astro listed as max weights. I know 1500 sounded low, that would be a passenger car. Astro sticker states 5800 towing, 3100 payload. I know I modified van with heavy duty tires, brakes, and shocks because I occasionaly exceed those numbers for collection buys or shows.

+1 Modified a van with heavy duty stuff under there is the way to do. I knew because I've had done that process on 2 of my former vans. My last one was a Toyota Previa which was modded with heavy duty shocks, added thicker coil springs and bigger brake discs and etc.It was also lifted 2 inches up. I can easily load up to 3,000 lbs payload and it did well on long trips (I moved to new home). Plus, I get 20 mpg appox over the distance with full loads. That is with a 4 cyl engine!

As long the mod work is done properly and in right specs - it can be done. I loved the Previa models (their nickname "Spaceship").

But ... moving 60-85 long boxes?? My back will hate me! :whistle: