• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

which superhero movie will rule this summer's WW box office?

54 posts in this topic

my guesses:

ASM II: $750MM WW

Cap $650MM WW

X-Men $575MM WW (add $50mm if it plays in China)

GOTG: $500MM WW (add $50MM if it plays in China)

Except for GOTG, these franchises now have such a built in audience it almost doesn't matter who writes, directs or acts in them. I'm not a good barometer of interest as if I watch any of them it will be on blu-ray, but these rankings ( if not the numbers) look fairly credible to me. Spidey is still the most popular hero in the bunch, and despite the return of Singer and Penn along with an all-star cast, I wonder if the X-Men franchise might not be losing gas.

The most interesting directing choice is the Russo brothers for Cap, as their background is entirely in comedy. The Brubaker WS story line is one of the few modern Marvel story arcs I've read, and I am curious to see if it's done justice.

94 on RT after 50+ reviews. even the early scores on Metacritic are pretty solid. i suspect this will be the best movie of the bunch.

94 on RT after 50+ reviews. even the early scores on Metacritic are pretty solid. i suspect this will be the best movie of the bunch.

That is the opinion coming out of most of the early reviews - this will be in the Top 3 of Marvel movies made!

:wishluck:

I'd say ASM 2 will definitely be the highest grossing (thumbs u

And btw, if GOTG makes anything even REMOTELY close to $500 million, Marvel should make a movie about every single character in the Marvel Universe! If they can make half a billion off THAT title, there is absolutely nothing they couldn't do a movie about! (thumbs u

I may be the only one, but I think GotG is going to not do that great. It'll make hundreds of millions, sure. But not $500 million worldwide.

This is a sci-fi humor movie. With no recognizable characters. With a leading man who is known best for a half-hour sit-com.

It may be awesome and funny and all that, but people aren't going to be scrambling to see it.

And btw, if GOTG makes anything even REMOTELY close to $500 million, Marvel should make a movie about every single character in the Marvel Universe! If they can make half a billion off THAT title, there is absolutely nothing they couldn't do a movie about! (thumbs u

I'd agree on your point about GOTG. I just can't see the film doing well.

Where does TMNT play into all of this?

I thought the trailer looked awful so I don't see it doing well.

i like the way the turtles look and i have no problem with them changing the origin as long they are still by the T.C.R.I. ooze i'll be OK.

to me GOTG is the biggest gamble marvel has this year because it could go both way be awesome or flop. right now for me it's landing in the middle hope to be wow in the theaters.

it's funny when you think about it but phase 3 from marvel somewhat started with Thor 2 and is continuing with GOTG. from the looks of thing Cap 2 is going to change everything in the marvel universe more then IM 3.

they plan to. see Ant-man

they plan to. see Ant-man

Hey!!! Don't be dissing Ant-Man brotha!!! (tsk)

He's INFINITELY cooler than a wise cracking raccoon!!!

I'm with you guys about GOTG. I hope it does great, but I just don't see it.

Because of the dubbing that can be done with Spidey's mask and other CG characters and huge overseas popularity of the franchise up to date, I would dare predict pretty close to a $1 billion for ASM 2, myself. There was a lot of momemtum after the last one. Remember, it doesn't matter if it sucks here, it's how it plays abroad.

Guardians of the Galaxy, same deal, but it's just establishing itself. I'll say $500 million too. The sequel will explode, if the original engages the audience.

X-men will make an easy $750 million or more. It's quality won't matter.

Now, Captain America. Let's be honest. It's gonna probably play huge here, but not Iron Man 3 huge. So, there's $250+ million, but overseas, ummmm... a superhero in spangles without the Avengers, might be deemed too United States. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess, $500 million abroad.

+1

I think DoFP is going to be a monster. Bronze age fans will flock to see this flick.

ASM 2 will do the best. Of the 2014 hero flicks, it will be the one that the most kids will ask their parents to see. It's also being released toward the end of the school year. Kinda like Iron Man 3. That means a lot of ticket sales. Man of Steel last year, although successful at about $700 million if I remember correctly, lost a great opportunity to cross the $1 billion barrier if it would have been more kid-friendly. It was way too dark and intense to attract the sub-teens. Look at how the Tony Stark character bonded with that science whiz-kid in Iron Man 3 ... kids pick up on that stuff. Let's never forget ... comics were invented for kids!!

Because of the dubbing that can be done with Spidey's mask and other CG characters and huge overseas popularity of the franchise up to date, I would dare predict pretty close to a $1 billion for ASM 2, myself. There was a lot of momemtum after the last one. Remember, it doesn't matter if it sucks here, it's how it plays abroad.

Guardians of the Galaxy, same deal, but it's just establishing itself. I'll say $500 million too. The sequel will explode, if the original engages the audience.

Now, Captain America. Let's be honest. It's gonna probably play huge here, but not Iron Man 3 huge. So, there's $250+ million, but overseas, ummmm... a superhero in spangles without the Avengers, might be deemed too United States. I'm gonna go out on a limb and guess, $500 million abroad.

+1

I think DoFP is going to be a monster. Bronze age fans will flock to see this flick.

Thank accounts for the first million dollars in ticket sales ( I'm being very generous), just 749 million to go.

my guesses:

ASM II: $750MM 700 MM WW

Cap $650MM 800 MM WW

X-Men $575MM 725 MM WW (add $50mm if it plays in China)

GOTG: $500MM WW (add $50MM if it plays in China)

GOTG may go higher. But this is an experiment right now to determine the value of Marvel's B and C list of characters.

It is going to be one heck of an amazing superhero year!

I'm going to raise my estimate on X:DoFP

+1

Thank accounts for the first million dollars in ticket sales ( I'm being very generous), just 749 million to go.

Kids and grand kids will be dragged to see it with them. Trust me I am taking my kids.

Be happy to take a friendly wager on its gross if you want. :baiting:

I just watched all the trailers.

ASM2 I won't bother seeing, still haven't seen the first one and this one seems to have a bit of dodgy looking CGI in my opinion.

GOTG... looks a bit Green Lanternish but I'll go see it and hope that Earth doesn't appear once in the movie.

X-Men... looks good.

Cap America 2... still the best looking and the one I'm most excited to see out of the four.