• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ive lost ALL confidence in CGC - UPDATE on page 221
2 2

2,401 posts in this topic

Who said anything about "taken off the market" ?

scan the damn book, keep it referenced in a database ( a la FBI's most wanted list or something ) and if it ever makes it way back to Florida, no mistakes.

CGC did.

Right now we are in the process of purchasing the JIM #83 from the new owner in order to remove it from the market.

Even if it was not trimmed they would look better saying it WAS trimmed, and they missed it. I want to know exactly what characteristics it has that prove a definitive trim.

And if they tell you, that does what exactly? There is no way to verify if what they tell you is right or a bunch of BS.

Lame.

I had 30 silver age ready for submission. I'm not inclined to do so now.

Yep, it's definitely a bad time to try to slip restored stuff by them now.

While I appreciate CGC taking responsibility for this mistake, I'm saddened to hear that the book itself will be "taken off the market".

Frankly, I've found this suggestion along with some of the other "remedies" suggested for this situation very disturbing.

While I do crack out any CGC comics I purchase for my collection, I'm by no means anti-CGC. I understand that 3rd party grading serves a purpose - to facilitate an equitable transaction between buyers and dealers.

However, I've always believed that the comic itself took primacy over the case, the label, the grade, the resto-check, all of the accoutrements associated with CGC's service. The grading service is simply a means to an end.

To have a Silver Age key "retired" simply to preserve the reputation of the grading service (who, at the end of the day, are only providing their opinion) or to have some kind of chemical marker added to the book (invisible or otherwise) in the hopes it will help prevent this grading service from making another mistake....

I'm sorry, to me it seems the service, the case and the label, instead of being a means to an end, have become the end in itself. The comic is just a superfluous appendage that has to be accommodated.

+ a very sad 1.

Even if it was not trimmed they would look better saying it WAS trimmed, and they missed it. I want to know exactly what characteristics it has that prove a definitive trim.

And if they tell you, that does what exactly? There is no way to verify if what they tell you is right or a bunch of BS.

OP could possibly say no. it didn't have that.

It gets their statement on record......

you want to burn a JIM 83? ROFL okeeeeeeeeeeeeee....

yes.....burn it.

That 100% guarantees it can never create the same problem again.

that's upside down face. You'd be better off to burn CGC headquarters and every slabbed container everywhere in the world.

Comics matter, CGC does not.

So explain to me what good it does keeping a scarlet letter book in circulation?

And if CGC purchases it, then why does it matter what they do to it??

A scarlet letter book to a VERY small number of collectors. Heck, crack it out and put a black dot with a sharpie on the bottom of every page and sell it to me. I'd even promise to keep it in my collection and have it buried with me when I die if you want.

:hi: Hey, CGC, Over here!

There are a few books, though, where the restoration can be extremely subtle and require extra scrutiny. If nothing sends up a "red flag" for the particular graders on a book, it can, unfortunately (but rarely), get by us.

hm

There are a few books, though, where the restoration can be extremely subtle and require extra scrutiny. If nothing sends up a "red flag" for the particular graders on a book, it can, unfortunately (but rarely), get by us.

hm

What did the extra scrutiny reveal? Poss future owner of book could confirm/rebut. Destroying/hiding book not a good look. Tell us show us with c/u pics what you discovered. Otherwise we'll always wonder.

While I appreciate CGC taking responsibility for this mistake, I'm saddened to hear that the book itself will be "taken off the market".

Frankly, I've found this suggestion along with some of the other "remedies" suggested for this situation very disturbing.

While I do crack out any CGC comics I purchase for my collection, I'm by no means anti-CGC. I understand that 3rd party grading serves a purpose - to facilitate an equitable transaction between buyers and dealers.

However, I've always believed that the comic itself took primacy over the case, the label, the grade, the resto-check, all of the accoutrements associated with CGC's service. The grading service is simply a means to an end.

To have a Silver Age key "retired" simply to preserve the reputation of the grading service (who, at the end of the day, are only providing their opinion) or to have some kind of chemical marker added to the book (invisible or otherwise) in the hopes it will help prevent this grading service from making another mistake....

I'm sorry, to me it seems the service, the case and the label, instead of being a means to an end, have become the end in itself. The comic is just a superfluous appendage that has to be accommodated.

+ a very sad 1.

I think a burial ritual or funeral pyre for the trimmed JIM 83 would be an awesome spectacle. The CGC folks should stream it live right here on the boards. Paul could be the presiding poo-bah of ceremonies and Matt could create the magic light show. Oh please make this dream come true! :wishluck::wishluck::wishluck:

+ a very sad 1.

I think a burial ritual or funeral pyre for the trimmed JIM 83 would be an awesome spectacle. The CGC folks should stream it live right here on the boards. Paul could be the presiding poo-bah of ceremonies and Matt could create the magic light show. Oh please make this dream come true! :wishluck::wishluck::wishluck:

And what if the book is actually not trimmed-all evidence obliterated.....

PS how did they conclude book was trimmed once and for all? Did buyer ship it to them already, they said they were 'in process' of obtaining-how could they see from a PIC something so 'subtle???

Buyer said it was OK to share

- As of 9am this morning CGC wanted the book to look it over again and make a determination. Offered buyer $3500 to buy the book outright.

- Buyer does not respond to CGC as he wants to keep the book for his collection (his intentions the entire time)

- CGC makes a statement around 5pm stating they are in the process of buying the book back, and it is DEFINATELY trimmed

What to believe?? Maybe I'm the one being April Fooled (shrug)

I think its good that they buy the book at the blue price, and put it back into a purple slab. I assume this is what they mean. I am sure they will have someone buy it from them for a private collection, who doesnt mind having a purple JIM, probably somebody who works there.

The book likely wont come back onto the "market" for many years, and when it does, would hopefully be in its purple label. Beyond that, eventually someone may try to crack and sub it then, but that far in the future, who knows what the comic market will be like.

But, while CGC has done right to rectify THIS book, and in that I mean, literally all they can do. What they havent done, is address any of the ISSUES which the situation has raised.

I'd like to seem them address the issues involved, and though I am HIGHLY SKEPTICAL, wonder if they realize they cannot indefinitely use ambiguity and obfuscation to bludgeon their customers.

Opening up for more transparency is coming, dont know when, and dont know how, but it will eventually come. As in all things in life, it likely wont be adopted until its forced upon them, and at much greater cost/consequence, then if smart actions were taken earlier.

PS how did they conclude book was trimmed once and for all? Did buyer ship it to them already, they said they were 'in process' of obtaining-how could they see from a PIC something so 'subtle???

They concluded that when everyone who was qualified looked at it when Spider-Dan had them re-evaluate it.

Bingo. (thumbs u

Comics evolved into Label-delivery-devices. Everything else is details and chatter.