• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Raw Fury: The Art of Mike Zeck (April 5 - August 10 San Francisco)

39 posts in this topic

For 2014, instead of focusing on purchases, I wanted to focus a little more on how I could give back to this hobby after my many years of collecting. Starting today at the Cartoon Art Museum in San Francisco is an exhibit that is the culmination of many months of work as well as 28 years of collecting. The exhibit Raw Fury: The Art of Mike Zeck is the first retrospective on this artist who is best known for his work on Master of Kung Fu, Captain America, Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars (including the creation of the Black Spidey costume), Kraven's Last Hunt, G.I. Joe, as well as the classic Punisher Limited Series which redefined the character and made him one of the most popular characters of the 1980's.

More information on the exhibit can be found here:

http://cartoonart.org/2014/03/raw-fury-the-art-of-mike-zeck-2/

For me, pulling together this exhibit was a thrill. Not only was it a way to celebrate the Punisher's 40th anniversary, but was a way of taking a look back as to why Mike Zeck became one of the most popular comic artists when I was growing up.

It was hard to pick and choose the pieces to feature. There are over 50 original art pieces in the exhibit. Highlights include:

- All 5 painted Zeck and Zimelman covers from the Punisher series - these have never been seen all together since I first met Mike back in 1986.

- All of Zeck and Zimelman's classic Punisher posters as well as the painted cover to Return to Big Nothing

- All 6 covers to the Kraven's Last Hunt series that appeared across all the Spider-man titles

- The classic Cap vs. Wolverine cover from Captain America Annual #8

- The three most memorable covers from Marvel Super Heroes Secret Wars including #1, #8 and #10!

- Some of Mike's classic G.I. Joe covers including G.I. Joe Yearbook #3.

And there are many more classic pieces - including some vintage ones that have never been seen before!

Mike will be making a rare West Coast appearance at the Big Wow show to coincide with the exhibit. If you're planning a trip out to San Jose for the Big Wow con, please make plans to stop by the Cartoon Art Museum in nearby San Francisco. The exhibit runs from now until August 10th. So, you have most of the Spring and Summer to get there. For those that attend, I hope you walk away with the same sense of wonderment I had when I first saw Mike's original art in person.

For those interested, a special limited edition book has been produced to accompany the exhibit. Copies can be obtained from the museum.

Thanks to David Mandel, Eric Roberts, Andrew Farago, Steve Morger, and Steve Wyatt for their contributions to the exhibit. Without them, this exhibit wouldn't have happened.

For those that get a chance to visit the exhibit, please post your comments here!

Great job, Chuck! A worthy pursuit for a great creator. I went to the Museum once many years ago, there was a Seuss commercial art exhibit alongside comics in the movies with lots of McFarlane Spawn pieces, Bullseye vs Elecktra by Miller and creation of Phoenix from from 101 by Cockrum.

It's great that something like the Museum exists.

- All 5 painted Zeck and Zimelman covers from the Punisher series - these have never been seen all together since I first met Mike back in 1986.

Not to get all up in your business, but this obviously caught my eye, given how vocal you've been about trying to track down this complete set; for at least 15 years that I've been kicking around the hobby you've been speaking of this goal. So, does this mean you have some good news to share? Or just that someone has come forward to participate with you?

So, does this mean you have some good news to share? Or just that someone has come forward to participate with you?

The reuniting of the 5 covers is thanks in part to another collector. I think congratulations are in order to all of us as my hope was to be able to reunite these covers so that everyone could see them in one place like I had back in 1986 when I first met Mike and got the bug to start collecting original art. After you see them all together, you can let me know if it was a worthwhile goal to try and achieve!

The catalog should be available for purchase through the museum's website (I don't think they have a link up quite yet). There will also be an exclusive hardback edition (with an alternate cover) that will be released at the Big Wow show. You can pick that up at Mike Zeck's booth.

Always loved Zeck's art. The Punisher Limited Series 1 and Captain America Annual 8 covers are simply some of the best covers ever published! So much action and energy the way comic covers should be! Mike Zeck did it the right way.

The catalog should be available for purchase through the museum's website (I don't think they have a link up quite yet). There will also be an exclusive hardback edition (with an alternate cover) that will be released at the Big Wow show. You can pick that up at Mike Zeck's booth.

Thanks! Please, let us know when it's available, because I'm very interested.

Man this is so awesome!

I think his art, through covers on the newsstand, posters and other promotional art between 1984-1990 represented Marvel comics of the mid-late 1980's as much, if not more in terms of promotion than any other artist the company had.

Sounds like you're the perfect guy to put this show together. I hope it meets with great success and reminds us why Zeck was such a commercial powerhouse during the 80's and enlightens some fans who came in later to the power his work during this time.

Thanks for all the kind words. I heard that the books had arrived at the museum, but still haven't a link on the website... hopefully soon. You can always pick up one at the upcoming Big Wow show as well where Mike will be making a rare appearance.

For those that don't check out Mike Zeck's website regularly, he posted a preview of an exclusive new Limited Edition signed and numbered (to 250) Punisher print that will exclusively sold at the upcoming Big Wow show in San Jose. Hopefully you'll agree - Mike still is THE Punisher artist!

http://www.mikezeck.com/

The "Raw Fury: The Art of Mike Zeck" Museum Book is now available through the Cartoon Art Museum. Link is below:

http://cartoonart.bigcartel.com/product/raw-fury-the-art-of-mike-zeck

http://cartoonart.org/2014/03/raw-fury-the-art-of-mike-zeck-2/

The Museum will be selling the softcover edition with the Punisher cover for $29.99. The Hardback edition featuring the Cap vs. Wolverine cover will be available at Mike Zeck's table at the Big Wow show on May 17-18 in San Jose along with an all new exclusive signed and numbered Big Wow Punisher print. Get them before they sell out.

Just bought the softcover museum edition online. Can't wait too see all those gems, especially the Secret Wars 8 cover :) Hopefully a hardback convention copy will pop-up for sale on the board or eBay over the next few months - just being a completist here ;)