• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Groo Appreciation Thread!
9 9

368 posts in this topic

Question for you Groo experts. I have a buddy that asked me for advice on what to do with a couple short boxes of books. The hero stuff I have a good handle on but part of what he has is a run of Groo from around #20 through #60. I know exactly nothing about Groo books and I'd like to not steer him incorrectly. A lot of these would be 9.8 candidates and all of them are at least 9.4. I don't see much sales history for a lot of these books in 9.8, either no 9.8 sales in GPA or one sale 10+ years ago. Some of these don't even have any copies in the census at all, at any grade. What kind of expectations should I set here? Groos in the 30s, 40s, 50s in 9.8 would sell for how much? Should he even bother getting them graded? If graded, do they sell better on any particular venue? TYIA

On 7/8/2024 at 4:53 PM, LordRahl said:

Question for you Groo experts. I have a buddy that asked me for advice on what to do with a couple short boxes of books. The hero stuff I have a good handle on but part of what he has is a run of Groo from around #20 through #60. I know exactly nothing about Groo books and I'd like to not steer him incorrectly. A lot of these would be 9.8 candidates and all of them are at least 9.4. I don't see much sales history for a lot of these books in 9.8, either no 9.8 sales in GPA or one sale 10+ years ago. Some of these don't even have any copies in the census at all, at any grade. What kind of expectations should I set here? Groos in the 30s, 40s, 50s in 9.8 would sell for how much? Should he even bother getting them graded? If graded, do they sell better on any particular venue? TYIA

@MAR1979 might have focused in on them for a while, I don't think grading will make too much difference in that they will take a while to sell, $10 a piece is usually the tipping point when I've seen them for sale and next time they're missing and I guess sold.

I'm not up on the market other than they sell, but idk to whom nor why lol but then again they have a niche

Posted (edited)
On 7/8/2024 at 6:06 PM, ADAMANTIUM said:

@MAR1979 might have focused in on them for a while, I don't think grading will make too much difference in that they will take a while to sell, $10 a piece is usually the tipping point when I've seen them for sale and next time they're missing and I guess sold.

I'm not up on the market other than they sell, but idk to whom nor why lol but then again they have a niche

Agreed.

Here's how I see it in my total opinion:

They must score 9.8w in order to at least break even. Unless you reel in 2 competing registry collectors at auction don't expect to pull in a profit.

Even when Groo peaked in 2022, from what I said then and still do was a nothing burger announcement, the only books that really benefited were the "Keys".

Edited by MAR1979