• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The Official Groo Appreciation Thread!
9 9

360 posts in this topic

Most recent CGC 9.8 eBay Auction results:

DD#1 - $306, November 2023

Groo Pacific #1 - $140 January 2024, $114 February 2024.

The price keeps dropping.  At what level would they be low enough as to tempt one  to buy  and hoard?  Hmmmm...

Appears my 2022 prediction on DD1 was correct. Regarding Pacific 1, I was wrong as it is actually settling lower than my prediction!

Hoard? If a personal thing OK, but from fiscal standpoint does not seem wise. Groo had its "15 minutes" and it ain't getting that again. Something I'm positive Evanier will agree with.

New Predictions - if at a bidding auction: 

- DD1 will end up long haul in the $240-$300 range.

- Pacific #1 will settle in the $75-$125 range

Yes possibly lower than 2019 FMV on those as interest has waned, supply is plentiful and the true Groo collectors fans left likley all have copies.

On 2/6/2024 at 2:40 AM, jick said:

Most recent CGC 9.8 eBay Auction results:

DD#1 - $306, November 2023

Groo Pacific #1 - $140 January 2024, $114 February 2024.

The price keeps dropping.  At what level would they be low enough as to tempt one  to buy  and hoard?  Hmmmm...

On 12/8/2022 at 12:20 PM, MAR1979 said:

Right now DD1 copies sit ice cold and unsold on eBay

My opinion is DD1 will nestle for the long haul in the $275-$350 range sometime in the next 12 months.   Pacific Groo #1 I feel will settle in $140-$180 range.  

Investing in a property that has returned to its niche status I do not feel wise. A copy or so for a collector is great but as an investment it does not fit the bill. Learn from those who got stung on DD1 and spend the money on something with greater maximum upside than niche. 

The "rubes" "suckers" "fools" "mendicants" "moe rons" who spent 1k, 1.5k, 2k during the pandemic bubble + nothing burger animation exploration rights will not return to prop up the price of something that never should have approached $500 in the first place.

Have money to spend on Groo think original art!

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/6/2024 at 3:41 PM, Bronty said:

You were right.   Now would you consider letting it go? 

I don't recall if this thread or another on this forum but in 2021/2022 I mentioned, to those that scoffed at even the very mention of bubble, that history would prove me correct and that I was an "I told you so" person. Well I was not kidding I am one.

I will take your comment as a semblance of validation :)  and will limit the "I told you so's" on this thread to 1 per quarter. No need to expect another until at least April and to Groo it up I'll pair it with defining mulching.

Edited by MAR1979

On 2/11/2024 at 4:32 PM, Capt-Ajax said:

What are the chances Groo will EVER have a CGC custom label?

On 2/11/2024 at 4:32 PM, Capt-Ajax said:

Hello, I'm new to the forums and am happy to see that there is a Groo Thread! 

Welcome to the boards!

A label might happen or be in demand, and yet, the licensing issues with characters are the main thing that causes some to be put on hold. That said, I haven't heard any stirrings yet with Groo, but I'm glad to hear there is interest. :) 

Funny how Groo mostly reminds me of the newspaper funny pages or that it would work well with one strip a week. It has a writing and art style all its own :headbang: 

I just realized that the plummet of the CGC 9.8 Groo market might not just be attributed to the movie rights announcement and nothing happening after.  It looks like it's the entire CGC slabbed market that is going downhill because of other factors that I am not very familiar with as I have not been following.  I am sure there are discussions of that in other places in this forum.  At heart, I really joined this forum because I am an original art collector.  So it was comforting to find out that the Groo original art market has been setting record results so far in 2024 - it's getting stronger than ever.  Here is the latest from Heritage in 2024 with my annotations:

Groo-Heritage2.jpg

On 4/7/2024 at 10:00 PM, jick said:

I just realized that the plummet of the CGC 9.8 Groo market might not just be attributed to the movie rights announcement and nothing happening after.  It looks like it's the entire CGC slabbed market that is going downhill because of other factors that I am not very familiar with as I have not been following.  I am sure there are discussions of that in other places in this forum.  At heart, I really joined this forum because I am an original art collector.  So it was comforting to find out that the Groo original art market has been setting record results so far in 2024 - it's getting stronger than ever.  Here is the latest from Heritage in 2024 with my annotations:

Groo-Heritage2.jpg

The entire slab market is down due to pandemic highs when people worked from home, imo. As those lows continued but started before any slab woes, but is an interesting take from someone whom didn't follow it. :) As I can see how that may be the hot take on the street, but is unfortunate and not a big picture. I'm not saying it isn't due to slab gate in some way or percentage,  but i certainly havent seen any increase in decline from news about the slabs, or not any more nor unusual than the regular decline from pandemic highs.

It is an interesting take by and by, no sense in debating as both views can be seen from a real point of view or reference and or perception.

I am glad the oa is doing well. Decline in groo happened in this thread before the slab gate from cgc as well, so just so you know, and if it continued or got worse due to the cgc brand then that is an interesting note and first I've heard of that take so far, especially on the boards! That is definitely possible but idk, it needs a pick me up across the board lol

Leveling off it seems in some areas and certain spec is still alive, so we'll see!

Edited by ADAMANTIUM

Of those five records 1,2 and 4 were my consignments; the #34 pages.    I have been quite happy with how they turned out.   I hated to set them free but could use the money and I still have a fair bit of groo art even selling #34.

I think one reason some of the pages have done well is because Arba and Dakarba appear; they are the best supporting characters in the series IMO, and they are only in so many issues after all, particularly from the prime part of the run.   

I will be quite curious to see how the cover does (will likely be in the next signature I imagine).   Its a really wonderful cover with Groo, Sage, Rufferto, and Mulch.

Edited by Bronty