• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Southern Bastards from Image
2 2

989 posts in this topic

Scalped 43 had a fake first appearance of Earl Tubb from Southern Bastards. It was actually a fairly important Scalped character, Sheriff Wooster Karnow who had absolutely zero to do with SB. Some people just couldn't wrap their heads around Karnow and Tubb not being the same person, since they were both sixty-something-year-old white guys by the same creative team.

As to why it would be worth even less today, I'm assuming that's the spoiler, although I haven't read the new issue.

What a world we live in when another finds glee in somebody's financial loss.

PS I don't own any scalped #43 nor a large position holder in scalped.

lol Really?

I think most people will find the situation humorous:

1. It wasn't the first appearance of Earl Tubb. 2. The CREATORS told people it wasn't. 3. Anyone who read Scalped knew it wasn't. 4. Knowing Aaron's writing, there's a solid chance that Earl wouldn't be around long.

YET, people disregarded all common sense, freaked out and prematurely dropped cash on Scalped 43. This kind of thing happens from time to time, and excuse me if I find it hilarious! Kindly spare the passive aggressive looking-down-your-nose please, this is a freakin' forum about modern comics...not exactly a platform for passing judgment on the state of the world

I'll go back and put my first post in spoiler tags, my bad Erndog :sorry:

lol someone a few pages back said they saw this death coming and I said I didn't think so. Wrong I was. Still pretty in love with this story though.

As far as scalped #43 goes,..I grabbed one when all the buzz happened. Didn't really think it was a first appearance or anything like that, but I didn't know if the market would (erroneously) continue to respond as if it was. So I guess I'll eat that $13 over cover I paid for it lol , hopefully I'll find a way to recover and press on.

This book is like Game of Thrones in a way.

It appears nobody will be safe which makes the story more intriguing and meaningful but I had already grown attatched to that character :sorry:

Yea, I'm not saying its a bad thing that he died. But I'm sad. lol. 4 issues in and I'm mourning for a character.

The last page threw me for a loop. Both gender and race (of course) surprised me. I'm sure she'll have a fantastic in Craw County inquiring about his death :eek:

Edited by AntBrown

yes it makes a lot more sense. I'm still angry. I don't get angry reading comics but I am and now I do. It absolutely pissed me off like watching a friend. Now I want someone to avenge him. :devil: I thought this was going to be walking tall. This is something a lot different. I can't wait to read #5.

Does the title make more sense now? First thing that popped into my head when poor ole Earl bit the bullet. TOTALLY threw me for a loop....what an awesome book!

Agreed. Can't wait to see where this one goes. I dont care if I've got raw copies comming out of my ears that I can't give away, lol. Deff in my top 3 new series right now.

Does the title make more sense now? First thing that popped into my head when poor ole Earl bit the bullet. TOTALLY threw me for a loop....what an awesome book!

Agreed. Can't wait to see where this one goes. I dont care if I've got raw copies comming out of my ears that I can't give away, lol. Deff in my top 3 new series right now.

It is now in my top 3 too. Great writing with gritty art. Its starting to remind me of a redneck Sin City. :banana:

Anyone else worried that it's still a little too close to Scalped in terms on general story archetypes? Looks like we are about to see the Dashiel archetype-equivalent enter the story,and the plot may be something we've sort of already seen from Aaron. She comes back to the family home town, shakes things up, rinse, repeat. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the book, but it would be nice to see this go 180 degrees away from Scalped and tell a different TYPE of story. I obviously know they are different stories, I'm just hoping Aaron continues to shock us with more twists like Earl's death to keep his long-time fans interested.

Anyone else worried that it's still a little too close to Scalped in terms on general story archetypes? Looks like we are about to see the Dashiel archetype-equivalent enter the story,and the plot may be something we've sort of already seen from Aaron. She comes back to the family home town, shakes things up, rinse, repeat. Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the book, but it would be nice to see this go 180 degrees away from Scalped and tell a different TYPE of story. I obviously know they are different stories, I'm just hoping Aaron continues to shock us with more twists like Earl's death to keep his long-time fans interested.

I don't know what he could to do to surprise me much more than what happened in #4. I missed Scalped so I'll enjoy it either way but hopefully it is something different for you guys who've read it. :wishluck:

Just finished reading #4.

Crazy good book! Can not wait for #5.

Jason Aaron's Punishermax was one of my favourite reads in the last 10 years. He's quickly become one of my favourite writers...

I've been meaning to read Scalped forever too. I have the first trade sitting in my office. Looks like I need to get a move on!

Would you say that Punisher Max was as good as Ennis' Punsiher ? I loved those stories.

Honestly, I would say so.

It was around 22 (or 24?) issues I believe. Was basically one long story. Had kingpin, bullseye, Elektra in it... Just outstanding. I loved every issue and the conclusion was great.