• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Southern Bastards from Image
2 2

989 posts in this topic

Whoa ! You had me at Kingpin. lol

I'm chasing this down. I have a vacation coming and I'm stocking up on good reads. Thanks. (thumbs u

Good!!!

Let me know what you think!

Jason Aaron re-invisions the Punisher and Kingpin origins, so they're not ongoing stories like when Garth did Punisher (didn't re-magine anything, just continued with what was given him from Marvel). However, when you read the new Frank origin it is way more in depth than what Marvel originally gave him, and the ending of this series, well, 'poof', mind blown! These are definite 'must reads' if you like the Punisher!

Jay

I'm chasing this down. I have a vacation coming and I'm stocking up on good reads. Thanks. (thumbs u

Good!!!

Jason Aaron re-invisions the Punisher and Kingpin origins, so they're not ongoing stories like when Garth did Punisher (didn't re-magine anything, just continued with what was given him from Marvel). However, when you read the new Frank origin it is way more in depth than what Marvel originally gave him, and the ending of this series, well, 'poof', mind blown! These are definite 'must reads' if you like the Punisher!

Jay

I was a fan of Jason Aaron's writing, but was skeptical of placing Punisher back in the Marvel U. Ennis' MAX run was all the better for not interacting with other Marvel characters (save for an appearance by Nick Fury)...certainly no capes. So thought the Aaron take would be a step backward, conceptually.

Totally wrong. Turned out to be right up there with Ennis. No question, a definitive take on the character. The omnibus just got released; I have the individual issues as well as the trades (to loan out). Still had to buy the omnibus...that's how high I rank this run.

Re: SOUTHERN BASTARDS...there's a panel in the double-page spread that gives a strong hint to the last page.

While I agree that Southern Bastards is great and that Aaron's Punisher Max run is brutal fun, Scalped is - in my opinion - Aaron's finest work (not to mention incredible art by R.M. Guera). If you have not tried Scalped, do yourself a favor and pick it up. You will not be sorry.

Charley

http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=4310

Good!!!

Jay

I was a fan of Jason Aaron's writing, but was skeptical of placing Punisher back in the Marvel U. Ennis' MAX run was all the better for not interacting with other Marvel characters (save for an appearance by Nick Fury)...certainly no capes. So thought the Aaron take would be a step backward, conceptually.

Totally wrong. Turned out to be right up there with Ennis. No question, a definitive take on the character. The omnibus just got released; I have the individual issues as well as the trades (to loan out). Still had to buy the omnibus...that's how high I rank this run.

Re: SOUTHERN BASTARDS...there's a panel in the double-page spread that gives a strong hint to the last page.

Didn't notice that the first time I read it. Thanks for pointing that out.

Good!!!

Jay

If I don't have any luck buying these i might hit you up if you don't mind. Those panels were brutal and they reminded me of East of West #4. Dragotta goes crazy every once in a while too. lol

I'm going to take another look when I get home.

While I agree that Southern Bastards is great and that Aaron's Punisher Max run is brutal fun, Scalped is - in my opinion - Aaron's finest work (not to mention incredible art by R.M. Guera). If you have not tried Scalped, do yourself a favor and pick it up. You will not be sorry.

Charley

Dude, you have some nice Scalped OA!

I held off on reading Scalped for a long time because my wife works on a reservation and, you know - the whole PC thing, but finally gave in and the Scalped story wasn't quite what I thought it would be. It deals with the good and bad in people that transcends culture; the Rez was just a convenient location for the story. It was Aaron's story telling was what drew me to SB.

This book is like Game of Thrones in a way.

It appears nobody will be safe which makes the story more intriguing and meaningful but I had already grown attatched to that character :sorry:

I wasn't surprised at all. I could tell from the start, especially reading the extra material in the back, that this comic wasn't going to be an IP mill for characters, the setting is the main character. I think I predicted a handful of pages back this would happen. If not I thought it

Thanks for the compliment on my original art. Yes, I am a big Scalped fan and literally put my money where my mouth is with R.M. Guera!

Great crime story with human elements - and good guys doing bad things and bad guys doing good things. Had a real Sopranos/Breaking Bad vibe to me which is hard to pull off in a comic but Aaron and Guera did it masterfully.

If you are liking SB you will love Scalped! Just my 2 cents.

Charley

This book is like Game of Thrones in a way.

It appears nobody will be safe which makes the story more intriguing and meaningful but I had already grown attatched to that character :sorry:

I wasn't surprised at all. I could tell from the start, especially reading the extra material in the back, that this comic wasn't going to be an IP mill for characters, the setting is the main character. I think I predicted a handful of pages back this would happen. If not I thought it

You did indeed call that if I'm not mistake. I disagreed and was oh so wrong.