• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GL# 76 the Hardest to find Bronze Key in true Near Mint/Mint?

91 posts in this topic

The OP's original question is not exclusive to BA superhero keys. The rarest BA key by far- much rarer to find in 9.4 or higher grade is DC 100 Page Super Spectacular 5. Yes, it's a romance book, but a top 10 OSPG BA key.

That is at best a VF/NM, not there yet. Talking about Newness, freshly sharp and bright colors

I see you're still a complete :censored::censored::censored::censored:

Did you ever find any of the non-existent comics you were looking for?

Back in the early 90's I was a hard core Marvel high grade bronze age key book fanatic. I felt and believed back then Marvel Spotlight #2 (first series) to be the hardest Marvel bronze age Key book issue to find in high grade NM 9.4 or better. I am amazed but not surprised today to see today that NO CGC 9.8 copies have ever been graded of that book. I was thrilled back in about 2001 when I got back from CGC the first ever graded CGC 9.4 copy of Marvel Spotlight #2 and that was 13 years ago!.

I don't consider DC 100 Page Super Spectacular 5 a key issue, such romance books I doubt less than one percent of those who bought it would preserve it well as a collectible or investment.

Right. Yes. Exactly.

That's part of why it's a key now, because it's impossible to find in high grade, due to the fact that it had a low print run to begin with and almost nobody who bought it made any attempt to keep it in nice shape.

Well DC 100 Page Super Spectacular 5 is a BA Key. There are BA keys that are not exclusive to the superhero genre. Here are some examples of major BA keys from other genres:

House of Secrets 92 - BA horror key

All-Star Western 10 - BA western key

Star Spangled War Stories 151 - BA War key

DC 100 Page Super Spectacular 5 - BA Romance key

Cerebus 1 - BA Indie key

Didn't someone paid a 9.6 CGC like $30,000 or something?

Yes. $30,500 on Pedigree. The first 9.6 on the census. The floodgates opened after that and 2 9.8 quickly showed up ...

You can fetch a 9.6 today for about 7 - 7.5K

I don't consider DC 100 Page Super Spectacular 5 a key issue, such romance books I doubt less than one percent of those who bought it would preserve it well as a collectible or investment.

Right. Yes. Exactly.

That's part of why it's a key expensive now, because it's impossible to find in high grade, due to the fact that it had a low print run poor sales to begin with and almost nobody who bought it made any attempt to keep it in nice shape.

Fixed.

Well DC 100 Page Super Spectacular 5 is a BA Key. There are BA keys that are not exclusive to the superhero genre. Here are some examples of major BA keys from other genres:

House of Secrets 92 - BA horror key because it has the first appearance of a Swamp Thing

All-Star Western 10 - BA western key because it has the first appearance of Jonah Hex

Star Spangled War Stories 151 - BA War key because it has the first appearance of The Unknown Soldier

DC 100 Page Super Spectacular 5 - BA Romance key because... um... er... well... ?????

Cerebus 1 - BA Indie key because it has the first appearance of Cerebus and is the start of a 300 issue series.

House of Secrets 92 - BA horror key because it has the first appearance of a Swamp Thing

All-Star Western 10 - BA western key because it has the first appearance of Jonah Hex

Star Spangled War Stories 151 - BA War key because it has the first appearance of The Unknown Soldier

DC 100 Page Super Spectacular 5 - BA Romance key because... um... er... well... ?????

Cerebus 1 - BA Indie key because it has the first appearance of Cerebus and is the start of a 300 issue series.

BA Romance keys like DC 100 Page SS 5, Super DC Giants 17, and 21 don't require a "1st appearance" in order to be a key. The Romance books are generally not driven by a major character. They sometimes "dance to a different beat." Yes, the scarcity of these books is a major reason why they are keys. The latter two "giants" have classic covers. I wouldn't discount the significance of these BA romance keys. They represent the best of Romance's last hurrah during the early BA. And DC 100 Page SS 5 is the crown jewel. Who hoarded copies of Romance books back then?

FYI - SSWS 151 is the first solo appearance of the Soldier - OAAW 168 is his 1st app. way back in 1966.

Didn't someone paid a 9.6 CGC like $30,000 or something?

Yes. $30,500 on Pedigree. The first 9.6 on the census. The floodgates opened after that and 2 9.8 quickly showed up ...

You can fetch a 9.6 today for about 7 - 7.5K

Anyone knows the guy who lost around $23,000?

BA Romance keys like DC 100 Page SS 5, Super DC Giants 17, and 21 don't require a "1st appearance" in order to be a key. The Romance books are generally not character driven. They sometimes "dance to a different beat." Yes, the scarcity of these books is a major reason why they are keys. The latter two "giants" have classic covers. I wouldn't discount the significance of these BA romance keys. They represent the best of Romance's last hurrah during the early BA. And DC 100 Page SS 5 is the crown jewel. Who hoarded copies of Romance books back then?

FYI - SSWS 151 is the first solo appearance of the Soldier - OAAW 168 is his 1st app. way back in 1966.

No, scarcity has nothing to do with why they are (NOT) keys. There is no correlation between scarcity and importance.

BA Romance keys like DC 100 Page SS 5, Super DC Giants 17, and 21 don't require a "1st appearance" in order to be a key. The Romance books are generally not character driven. They sometimes "dance to a different beat." Yes, the scarcity of these books is a major reason why they are keys. The latter two "giants" have classic covers. I wouldn't discount the significance of these BA romance keys. They represent the best of Romance's last hurrah during the early BA. And DC 100 Page SS 5 is the crown jewel. Who hoarded copies of Romance books back then?

No, scarcity has nothing to do with why they are (NOT) keys. There is no correlation between scarcity and importance.

It's a sought after book,who cares whether you think it's a key or not.Many people apparently want one.Weren't we talking about GL 76,oh that's right! The dumbarse OP left the conversation because someone actually posted a 9.8 and debunked his whole theory. lol