• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Cry For Dawn / Dawn Appreciation Thread
6 6

291 posts in this topic

Waiting for these to arrive in-hand, but I'm pretty stoked that I got them - they are very, very rare. About as rare to see in the wild as the Binder Edition. These lettered remarqued books never come up for sale.

I am now only missing the Look Sharp remarqued book for (what I believe to be) a full set of the lettered (of 26) Linsner remarques.

DAWNPINUPGOD_LIMITED_REMARQ_FRONT.jpeg

I didn't even know he did a Dark Ivory one!

DARKIVORY00_REMARQ_FRONT.jpg

And I picked this Killraven one up in a collection I bought, but it's not nearly as strong of an illustration as his Dawn/Dark Ivory pieces, but a remarque none-the-less:

KILLRAVEN01_REMARKED_FRONT.jpeg

Picked up a few things from this seller already, but this Cry For Dawn #1 and #1 Counterfeit with reprint editing notes went WAY outta the park! $331 final price.

And this unsigned HorrorCon #3 also went for more than what I estimated, at $406. Good news for JML fans, for sure.

Any Cry For Dawn fans need to check out her auctions. She's very friendly, got loads of unique stuff, and in my conversations with her, I believe she was a friend of Linsner and Zeke.

The Horror Con book was a $400-$600 book on a pretty consistent basis up until the last year to year and a half. It's not a surprise to see it end there. Good to see.

The editing sheets and the CFD #1's were a likely considered a bargin for whomever got them for $331. My guess is the Counterfeit book will get sold off or dropped in the trash as the buyer isn't likely a big fan of the counterfeiting of the work. The cool item is the editing sheets. For anyone that's got a strong collection, it's items like these that are new/different that will draw out the cash. Same with the stained glass box or the sun catcher that are just insane pieces. For anyone with a big collection, you just don't often get a chance to buy items that are new/different. 2c

Picked up a few things from this seller already, but this Cry For Dawn #1 and #1 Counterfeit with reprint editing notes went WAY outta the park! $331 final price.

And this unsigned HorrorCon #3 also went for more than what I estimated, at $406. Good news for JML fans, for sure.

Any Cry For Dawn fans need to check out her auctions. She's very friendly, got loads of unique stuff, and in my conversations with her, I believe she was a friend of Linsner and Zeke.

The Horror Con book was a $400-$600 book on a pretty consistent basis up until the last year to year and a half. It's not a surprise to see it end there. Good to see.

The editing sheets and the CFD #1's were a likely considered a bargin for whomever got them for $331. My guess is the Counterfeit book will get sold off or dropped in the trash as the buyer isn't likely a big fan of the counterfeiting of the work. The cool item is the editing sheets. For anyone that's got a strong collection, it's items like these that are new/different that will draw out the cash. Same with the stained glass box or the sun catcher that are just insane pieces. For anyone with a big collection, you just don't often get a chance to buy items that are new/different. 2c

hm

I wonder if I got in a bidding war with Frank and lost. Those editing sheets are very cool.

Yeah, that is very good news on the HorrorCon #3 - I figured that an unsigned copy wouldn't command the same prices as a signed copy, but I figure with that ending price that any HorrorCon is a rarity in-itself.

That CFD stained glass box was really unique - gal who ran the auction said that only a few people ended up with those because they were expensive, and hand-made by a local guy, not mass-manufactured.

hm

I wonder if I got in a bidding war with Frank and lost.

I'm pretty sure that's not the case. :foryou:

hm

I wonder if I got in a bidding war with Frank and lost. Those editing sheets are very cool.

Yeah, that is very good news on the HorrorCon #3 - I figured that an unsigned copy wouldn't command the same prices as a signed copy, but I figure with that ending price that any HorrorCon is a rarity in-itself.

That CFD stained glass box was really unique - gal who ran the auction said that only a few people ended up with those because they were expensive, and hand-made by a local guy, not mass-manufactured.

With the frequency that Linsner signs books, it almost seems like any book without a signature is rarer. It's a shame because his signature doesn't add a whole lot to book. The sketches are a bit different story.

Patrick

With the frequency that Linsner signs books, it almost seems like any book without a signature is rarer. It's a shame because his signature doesn't add a whole lot to book. The sketches are a bit different story.

Patrick

I'd agree with that statement, but I think the authenticity of the HorrorCon #3 is bolstered a bit with Linsner and Monk's signature. These HC3s come in so many different forms (stapled, unstapled, signed, sketched, unsigned) - I wish there were some first-hand information on them somewhere.

hm

Those auctions were a good learning lesson. The stained glass stuff wasn't my thing, but I wondered what they would go for. It was a fun set of auctions to watch.

hm

Patrick

That's a fantastic observation.

One of the last few books I'd ever part with...try finding another limited from the Lucifer series without a sig...

1686_1.jpeg

hm

Those auctions were a good learning lesson. The stained glass stuff wasn't my thing, but I wondered what they would go for. It was a fun set of auctions to watch.

Those pieces will look good in a nice glass cabinet full of other dawn oddities, statues, books and sketches...

Of course, that's if the buyer had such a thing. :D

hm

Patrick

That's a fantastic observation.

One of the last few books I'd ever part with...try finding another limited from the Lucifer series without a sig...

1686_1.jpeg

The book is fairly tough with or without the signature. In 9.8, even tougher. Without the signature and 9.8, that's pretty damn rare.

Patrick

Those pieces will look good in a nice glass cabinet full of other dawn oddities, statues, books and sketches...

Of course, that's if the buyer had such a thing. :D

If not - what a way to start an oddity collection!

Frank's unsigned #3 Limited is really awesome, mostly because the run of 1500 was intended to all be signed.

From what I can tell on other unsigned rarities is that they are usually originally obtained from Linsner in-person and somehow after that they make it out into the wild.

I actually won the CFD #5 from that seller on the same day all of these listings ended. Not in hand yet, but it should be by tomorrow. I now only need the #1, and I'm watching her listing now.

I'm not out to hunt down every variant or to get every issue signed, but a few months ago I stumbled onto a #7 for free and it re-ignited a want for the CFD stuff. Since I had a #2 (found in an LCS back in the 90's for $4) I figured I'd go for the run. If I can just get a #1 for a decent price I'll be happy!

Oh, and I may as well post this too! I've been looking for a decent Dawn statue for years now. I should have bought the Femme Fatales PVC statue when I could have gotten it at 25% off but I missed the boat on that. There have been a number of nice ones over the years, and I've often thought of getting the Bowen one that has the horned god holding her up. However Clayburne Moore put this one out for her 20th Anniversary and I couldn't pass it up. Just scored it off ebay a few months ago. Not my copy, but you'll get the picture...

5064d1271259652-dawn-20th-anniversary-statue-1dawn1.jpg

I actually won the CFD #5 from that seller on the same day all of these listings ended. Not in hand yet, but it should be by tomorrow. I now only need the #1, and I'm watching her listing now.

I'm not out to hunt down every variant or to get every issue signed, but a few months ago I stumbled onto a #7 for free and it re-ignited a want for the CFD stuff. Since I had a #2 (found in an LCS back in the 90's for $4) I figured I'd go for the run. If I can just get a #1 for a decent price I'll be happy!

:headbang:

Hopefully after her big run of auctions you can sneak under the radar and pick that #1 for a sweet price!

That statue is great! I really like the color scheme on it. The closest Dawn statue I have is a figure that a buddy of mine (boardie Matter Eater Lad) got me and it's on my desk as a reminder to always cruise Ebay for CFD stuff. lol

I watched that CFD 1 lot in its final seconds and it jumped from $160 to $250 to $330 in its final two seconds. I tossed a $150 bid at it with an hour or so left and thought I had a chance.

This lot was incredible. I'll post some pics tomorrow as I'm on my way out. However, the editing is pre-production, not pre-reprint production as was advertised. You can tell because the errors don't show up in the first prints. It's got handwritten notes in the margins on what to correct before print. And the kicker is...

The editing pages for issue #1 were not all that were included. The complete editing book for issue #3 (further proof its pre-production, since issue 3 never saw reprint), the last two stories in issue #5 (aids story) and another book that I've not flipped through yet.

:banana: