• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Most significant X-Men

284 posts in this topic

Wolverine, obviously. He's not only the most significant X-men, he's one of the most significant characters in comics, after maybe Superman/Batman/Spiderman depending on who's list you read on any given day.

Good point. I didn't think about that but yea, across the whole comic universe he is one of the most significant characters.

Wolverine's success is in large part because he fulfills the violent fantasies of fan-boys with his kick hey bub attitude. It wears thin in my book pretty fast.

Wolverine's success is in large part because he fulfills the violent fantasies of fan-boys with his kick hey bub attitude. It wears thin in my book pretty fast.

You liking the character or not doesn't really change the fact that among most people in and outside of comics, he's viewed as one of the top 4 or 5 characters in all of comics.

That would be a bit like saying because I don't like the Toyota Camry it's not one of the most popular cars in the world.

You liking the character or not doesn't really change the fact that among most people in and outside of comics, he's viewed as one of the top 4 or 5 characters in all of comics.

That would be a bit like saying because I don't like the Toyota Camry it's not one of the most popular cars in the world.

To be fair though that's because he's had such a lot of screen exposure. Youngblood would be popular with the masses if he had similar exposure.

Another vote for Wolverine. Food for thought. The X-men comic was a dying series. Sales were so bad that the only way it could turn a profit was to reprint it until they revitalized it with GSXM1 and then X-men 94. So here's my question: We all know that GSXM1 was actually the 2nd appearance of Wolverine. His 1st appearance was in the Incredible Hulk. My question is...did the Marvel staff look at the sales figures for issue #181 and then say, "Hey...sales were good...maybe we should put a bunch of these guys into the X-men to replace the old team". I mean, is it possible that Wolverine was the spark that lead to the revamp of the X-men?

To be fair though that's because he's had such a lot of screen exposure. Youngblood would be popular with the masses if he had similar exposure.

How old are you? Were you not around in the 1990's before all the movies?

Wolverine had his time. And he was great. I'm just tired of him now and all his 'bub'.

Wolverine had his time. And he was great. I'm just tired of him now and all his 'bub'.

:news:

[font:Book Antiqua]He is going to lose his healing factor in upcoming books...

Again..![/font]

meh:eyeroll:

1. Wolverine

2. Wolverine

3. Wolverine.

The X-Men would be nowhere today if it wasn't for his introduction.

Claremont almost wrote Wolverine out of the X-Men. Byrne saved him.

It wasn't until Byrne came on board that the character started to develop a personality.

He wasn't the big draw until the late 80's.

The new X-Men were a decidedly egalitarian hit. Storm was just as important as Wolvie who was just as important as Colossus, who was just as important as Nightcrawler. Had Wolvie not been around, the team would have been just as big a hit.

In fact...aside from issue #133, Wolvie barely figured in Dark Phoenix, which was Claremont and Byrne's masterpiece.

In fact...it can easily be argued that Phoenix was the central and most popular character on the team from her intro in #101 to well after her "death" in #137.

That the "X-Men would be nowhere today" without Wolverine is most definitely a statement made from hindsight.

1. Wolverine

2. Wolverine

3. Wolverine.

The X-Men would be nowhere today if it wasn't for his introduction.

Claremont almost wrote Wolverine out of the X-Men. Byrne saved him.

It wasn't until Byrne came on board that the character started to develop a personality.

He wasn't the big draw until the late 80's.

The new X-Men were a decidedly egalitarian hit. Storm was just as important as Wolvie who was just as important as Colossus, who was just as important as Nightcrawler. Had Wolvie not been around, the team would have been just as big a hit.

In fact...aside from issue #133, Wolvie barely figured in Dark Phoenix, which was Claremont and Byrne's masterpiece.

In fact...it can easily be argued that Phoenix was the central and most popular character on the team from her intro in #1010 to well after her "death" in #137.

That the "X-Men would be nowhere today" without Wolverine is most definitely a statement made from hindsight.

Yep. I just don't buy it.

Another vote for Wolverine. Food for thought. The X-men comic was a dying series. Sales were so bad that the only way it could turn a profit was to reprint it until they revitalized it with GSXM1 and then X-men 94. So here's my question: We all know that GSXM1 was actually the 2nd appearance of Wolverine. His 1st appearance was in the Incredible Hulk. My question is...did the Marvel staff look at the sales figures for issue #181 and then say, "Hey...sales were good...maybe we should put a bunch of these guys into the X-men to replace the old team". I mean, is it possible that Wolverine was the spark that lead to the revamp of the X-men?

I don't know where to begin... ;)

X-Men was not really a "dying series." The fact that it was still reprinted, rather than simply cancelled (which it actually was, in 1970), means that it was selling at an acceptable level. Marvel was never shy about cancelling books that fell below the acceptable sales threshold. Silver Surfer was cancelled, Sub-Mariner was cancelled, Astonishing Tales was cancelled, several of the reprint titles didn't last. X-Men, itself, was cancelled.

Were the X-Men lingering in limbo, waiting for someone to think of something to do with them? Absolutely. But it wasn't dead, and it wasn't even dying anymore. After all...back in the early 70's, comic specialty stores were not on every street corner, and back issues were difficult to come by...so those who hadn't read the originals 10 years earlier could do so now...it was, after all, new to them.

So, dying? No. It had already died, and was resurrected in reprint land.

So Len Wein, Chris Claremont, and Roy Thomas come up with a new idea for the characters...and Giant Size #1 comes out. Then, Claremont takes over the writing with the "All NEW, All DIFFERENT" #94.

It took a few years for the series to take off. In fact, in the 1978 OPG, GS #1 was only $1.80, and #94 was 60 cents....same as the reprints. The series was bi-monthly...a fate reserved for low selling books...until issue #112, a full 3 years after issue #94.

1978 was the breakout year for the new X-Men.

But back to Giant Size #1...Wein could do pretty much whatever he wanted, since the title was in bi-monthly reprint limbo. So, he did. The only non-original new character he brought in was Wolverine, who had been introduced six months earlier, in the Incredible Hulk, which happened to have been written by...Len Wein!

Wein liked the character, and added him to the team.

Claremont and Cockrum did NOT like Wolvie, and came *this* close to dropping him. As mentioned before, Byrne saved Wolvie, since Byrne, a Canadian, had an infinity for the little runt, being a fellow Canucklehead.

And...fans had been asking for, and talking about, the X-Men's revival before Hulk #180-181 (as evidenced by Doug Stewart's letter in #184, and Marvel's response), which Marvel had been hinting about for a while.

So, most definitely, NO, it was NOT the intro of Wolvie that sparked the revamp of the X-Men.

Wolverine is no longer an "X-Man." He's moved far beyond the team. Sure, he's still part of "the team", but really...he's so much more than that, and has been for a long time.

It's like Batman or Superman being the most important member of the Justice League. If you really look at it, Martian Manhunter has clearly been the lynchpin to the team for most of its 54 years of existence.

In the same way, Scott Summers is the most important X-Man, and has been since he first showed up. He IS the X-Men.

Martian Manhunter stopped hunting men long ago and should change his name.

Some of you are funny. This is the reason why Wolverine is the most significant character. Well over half the posts here in this thread are about Wolverine. Wether you guys are tired of him, don't like, like him, think he's great or not, boring, or whatever.

The fact remains that everyone still talks about him. Just look at all the posts in this thread, so many are about Wolverine. People keep posting about him, and they will continue to do so. You can't stop talking about him, he's the driving force of this thread, lol.

Well we had a long thread about Rob Liefeld too, so I wouldn't read much into it....

Some of you are funny. This is the reason why Wolverine is the most significant character. Well over half the posts here in this thread are about Wolverine. Wether you guys are tired of him, don't like, like him, think he's great or not, boring, or whatever.

The fact remains that everyone still talks about him. Just look at all the posts in this thread, so many are about Wolverine. People keep posting about him, and they will continue to do so. You can't stop talking about him, he's the driving force of this thread, lol.

hm

So, if someone makes a response to a post about Wolverine, it is because they are compelled to by the fact that everyone can't stop talking about him....?

hm

That's some fascinating logic, right there!

:applause:

Obviously I'm a Wolverine fan. And I do think he's important to the X-Men.

I also think Magneto, Jean Grey/Phoenix, Storm, Professor X, in no particular order, are important to the X-Men. The X-Men have some great long established characters.