• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Is DC 100-Page Super Spectacular 5 a key?

Key: Yes or no?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Key: Yes or no?

85 posts in this topic

It's tough to find in high grade. Other than that, there's nothing special about it.

^^

What about the fact that it's 'spectacular'? That's special....

blah blah blah blah blah

Get back to me after you take an Intro to Economics course, you fool.

Key =/= Valuable

:eyeroll:

I've presented my opinion. All you've done is call people who disagree with you clowns and fools. That may be a compelling counter argument on the playground, but strangely, it's not swaying me.

I realize that the internet is a refuge for people with severe social disorders, but at least you could make an attempt at civil discourse. Then again, if you wanted that, I guess you would have just debated this in the original thread instead of desperately seeking backup from Comics General.

I collected DC 100 pagers a few years ago - my goal was to get all of them.

There are 115 DC 100 page books total, and Love Stories #5 was one that was nearly impossible to find in the early 90's before Ebay.

I remember going to shows and never having any luck. Most dealers said they had never even seen one.

Comiclink has had a few high grade copies in their auctions - they went for more than I could afford at the time.

I settled on a mid grade copy.

I have always considered Love Stories #5 a key book, even though it may not fit the "criteria".

When I was collection every Bronze age Key over 10 years ago it was considered a key and as I said I searched for it everywhere , little easier to find nowadays. There were 2 more Romance books that were collected because of low print run etc.

Gothic Romance #1 from the old Atlas Seaboard company . Was more of a magazine and very scarce. You almost never see this one up at all. Might be more scarce then the DC 100 page book.

http://www.atlasarchives.com/magazines/gothicromances.html

And Sinister House of Secret Love # 1 from DC

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Sinister-House-of-Secret-Love-1-DC-Gothic-romance-grade-5-0-scarce-hot-book-/310852246313?pt=UK_Books_Comics_Magazines_US_Comics_ET&hash=item48603cdb29

I don't think the book is a key. I think It falls in the "desirability" category.

WHO collected romance books in the 1970's and why???????????????????????????????

I collected the Marvel 70s romance comics. Which started me on collecting the 60s romance comics and now I am looking for the 50s romance comics. I find them to be very fun to collect because it's not easy to find issues that I need. Collecting the super hero titles....if you had the money you could put together a set of Amazing Spider Man or FF over night. Every issue is VERY easy to find. Try putting together a set of Love Romances or Millie the Model. All the money in the world will not get you a set of those quick...it takes searching and time to get anywhere on those titles. Then if you do find that issue you need it may be a rag and you might keep looking for a better copy. It's just something that to me makes collecting fun. :cloud9:

But not many people collect comics like I do. OCD is bad.

It's not a key. It's a key for romance collectors and 100 pager collectors, and it's a cool book, but not a key.

Put a group of general comic collectors in a room with a group to romance collectors in a room together. After the nerd fight ends and everyone's Mom is called and the crying stops, ask them all if Action 1 is a key. 100% will answer yes. Ask them all if X-Men 1 is a key, and 100% will answer yes. Ask them all if Hulk 181 is a key, 100% will answer yes. Ask them if SS 5 is a key and half the of them will have no idea what it even is.

Btw, my Mom was pretty upset we had to call her... ;)

It's not a key. It's a key...

2c_1859.jpg/695px-Charles_Dickens-_A_Tale_of_Two_Cities-With_Illustrations_by_H_K_Browne%2c_1859.jpg' alt='2.gif.9fc66b13abe5d736a39bc1a668f42ae9.gif' alt='2c'>_1859.jpg'>

Adventure Comics 416 is considered to be quite a scarce 100 pager as well.

If you go by the CGC census, Young Romance 201 would be the scarcest with the highest grade being an 8.5.

For non romance 100 pagers, OAAW 242 is very hard to find in high grade.

I don't think the book is a key. I think It falls in the "desirability" category.

WHO collected romance books in the 1970's and why???????????????????????????????

I collected the Marvel 70s romance comics. Which started me on collecting the 60s romance comics and now I am looking for the 50s romance comics. I find them to be very fun to collect because it's not easy to find issues that I need. Collecting the super hero titles....if you had the money you could put together a set of Amazing Spider Man or FF over night. Every issue is VERY easy to find. Try putting together a set of Love Romances or Millie the Model. All the money in the world will not get you a set of those quick...it takes searching and time to get anywhere on those titles. Then if you do find that issue you need it may be a rag and you might keep looking for a better copy. It's just something that to me makes collecting fun. :cloud9:

But not many people collect comics like I do. OCD is bad.

Is there anyone here when they were a young kid collected Romance comics back in the 1970's?

Kind of hard to believe a boy would be reading those comics. nowadays people collect them because those books probably didn't survive through the years. So getting them in high grade is enough for desirability,

Here is the only romance book I own.

http://comics.www.collectors-society.com/registry/comics/ComicDetail.aspx?PeopleComicID=339948&PeopleSetID=61766

Overall, though, because the stories are so interchangeable and formulaic, I think a lot of romance collectors are completionists. Since the stories are more or less all the same, well, you need all of them. That's one reason books like DC 100-Page Super Spectacular 5 are key. Romance books are like pokemons. You have to collect them all, and that's pretty much the hardest one to get regardless of condition. High grade is just an extra factor of difficulty.

So, even romance collectors can barely differentiate between the content of different issues so the only real difference comes from the economic realities of the marketplace - supply and demand? Thank you for proving my point.

A key is an issue that stands out for the significance of its content and/or influence, not an issue that has crossover appeal because Artist X drew it or an issue that gains value due to scarcity.