• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Have A Cigar

1,373 posts in this topic

Well - the HP Scanner and I are not getting along well. It WORKS just fine but it has tendencies to harshness I don't like and can produce moire patterns too easily, especially when sizing down in a photo editor. I am going to play around with various settings but I REALLY miss the Visioneer. The scan quality was remarkable. Anyway - some first attempts with the scanner of three of my latest acquistions:

Night Of Mystery - Avon 1-shot

Marvel Tales 96 (actually #3 in the new horror continuaiton of Marvel Mystery)

Uncanny Tales 15 - one of my favorite covers - great fluidity of motion on the skel.

Don't forget to hover your pointer over the image and then click on the magnify box. Not too big yet, though.

Pov:

I also have the 3500c. I've found that the scanner is great but downsample filtering software sucks. Get better results scanning at hires and downsampling in Photoshop. For the Moire patterns, try the "descreen" option?

Nice books, Pov! That MARVEL TALES #96 in particular is a nice copy. I've had that book before, definitely one of the best comic book versions of FRANKENSTEIN(it's definitely closer to Universal than Mary Shelley).

Drugs and violence! Yea baby! It's not much as far as condition, but it's not a book you see every day either. You can't really see it in the scan but the little box with "cigarettes" in it says "marijuana" and the syringe and bottles are heroin. Also notice the bloody knife at the girl’s throat, but she seems to be fine. The cop is also busting a cap, but in the wrong direction from the guy that's been shot. The dialog is pretty cool also.

perfect_crime18.jpg

Cool book OG... Ah...the good ol' days when even the drug addicts wore a suit and tie... crazy.gif

I get a kick how the lady cop is able to talk with her mouth completly covered... smirk.gif

Actually, the way I'm reading that scene is:

The guy bleeding and saying he's dying, actually got stabbed (off-panel) by the psycho Cokey, who's now holding the bloody (from the other guy) knife to the unharmed girl's throat, while the copper tries to tag the knife-wielding Cokey.

I'm assuming that the bleeding guy is another cop, or at least not a hopped up rat, since otherwise his little speech would not be needed.

does that mean theres a coke-peddler somewhere named Dopey?

I've heard there is. He has oversize ears and lives deep in the forest. But, beware! He is surrounded, at all times, by six goons and a femme-fatale. Word on the streets is they have more pull than the Yakuza or the Chinese Triad! shocked.gifshocked.gifshocked.gif

Chris

I just received this one in the mail today. One of my favorite Al Feldstein covers, and except for the slight off centering, this is a nice solid Fine book. I'm having a problem with my scanner, so here is a link to the auction.

Weird Fantasy #16 Original Owner Collection

I've always loved the black space cover, with the yellow box screaming "Science Fiction" next to the spine. Feldstein was one of the best cover artists of all time IMHO.

That PERFECT CRIME is a very cool book as well, and one that isn't offered for sale too often(I've never seen one in person).