• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for Star Wars experts

87 posts in this topic

wiz,

I'll be honest, I was never a SW fan, but I did always enjoy these sit-down, cockpit versions of the arcade game. If I was going to put together a home arcade I'd consider one of these (although it does take up a lot of real estate). What's one of these worth these days?

I assume not a fortune given the difficulty of transport and storage, but it would be a real cool item to have IMO.

starwarsArcade_SitDownCabinet.jpg

I probably put $2000 worth of quarters into that game. :cloud9: I would love to have one now.

Butter up the wife and ask her on Father's Day :insane:

wiz,

I'll be honest, I was never a SW fan, but I did always enjoy these sit-down, cockpit versions of the arcade game. If I was going to put together a home arcade I'd consider one of these (although it does take up a lot of real estate). What's one of these worth these days?

I assume not a fortune given the difficulty of transport and storage, but it would be a real cool item to have IMO.

I probably put $2000 worth of quarters into that game. :cloud9: I would love to have one now.

lol

I am on Craigslist right now looking for one.

I am not saying this is on the level of the rarest of rare, but I remember when I was buying some star wars stuff there was an unreleased droids or ewok figure(don't remember which series) that was pretty expensive. This was about 10 years ago

You're likely thinking of the Vlix.

glasslite-vlix.jpg

Vlix was originally intended for US release as part of the second series of the Droids line, but the line was cancelled before it went into production. Molds were incidentally sold to a Brazilian toy company called Glasslite, and the figure later enjoyed a limited release in South America. The last MOC Vlix appeared on a French auction site - my guess it that it sold for around 10K. They are very difficult to find without some kind of damage to the blister. A loose AFA 80 Glasslite Vlix was listed at $4K a few years back but the listing was ended, and likely sold off-eBay for close to that amount. I'd imagine the amount would be around $5K now.

The production Glasslite Vlix however is not to be confused with the pre-production (unproduced) examples that exist, and were made as prototypes with the intention of mass producing the figure to be sold in the US. Those are quite rare, and rarely ever come up for sale. My guess is that it would run somewhere in the high 4-figures, and/or low 5-figures depending on condition and whether it's complete and authenticated. An unproduced Vlix coin recently hammered at under $750.

wiz,

lol

awesome!! :applause:

I am not saying this is on the level of the rarest of rare, but I remember when I was buying some star wars stuff there was an unreleased droids or ewok figure(don't remember which series) that was pretty expensive. This was about 10 years ago

glasslite-vlix.jpg

Vlix was originally intended for US release as part of the second series of the Droids line, but the line was cancelled before it went into production. Molds were incidentally sold to a Brazilian toy company called Glasslite, and the figure later enjoyed a limited release in South America. The last MOC Vlix appeared on a French auction site - my guess it that it sold for around 10K. They are very difficult to find without some kind of damage to the blister. A loose AFA 80 Glasslite Vlix was listed at $4K a few years back but the listing was ended, and likely sold off-eBay for close to that amount. I'd imagine the amount would be around $5K now.

The production Glasslite Vlix however is not to be confused with the pre-production (unproduced) examples that exist, and were made as prototypes with the intention of mass producing the figure to be sold in the US. Those are quite rare, and rarely ever come up for sale. My guess is that it would run somewhere in the high 4-figures, and/or low 5-figures depending on condition and whether it's complete and authenticated. An unproduced Vlix coin recently hammered at under $750.

Even I knew that, somehow. A buddy had a US one 7 or 8 years ago. He thought it was worth the kind of numbers you are mentioning, even back then. Was he just overly optimistic, or have they not gone up much.

wiz,

There was one of these at rehobeth beach (or maybe it was ocean city) when I was a kid. There was usually a long line just to play that thing.

wiz,

lol

You literally just missed one as I was referencing a craigslist ad for that panel when this person posted asking where it was from. I couldn't find the ad when Bronty asked, so it looks like it sold.

The obligatory Jar Jar Binks jokes having already been made, I will simply sit back and enjoy some...

:popcorn:

Well they are 'obligatory' for good reason. That character and that movie were intellectually offensive

Oh, granted. I wasn't defending the character in any way, nor was I being sarcastic. It's just that they had already been made, so any addition, barring hilarity, would be redundant.

And I'm always barring hilarity.

But thanks for the benefit of the doubt, dinglehopper.

:whee:

wiz,

lol

You literally just missed one as I was referencing a craigslist ad for that panel when this person posted asking where it was from. I couldn't find the ad when Bronty asked, so it looks like it sold.

I would imagine they always go quickly as I know I wasn't alone in playing that game all the time in the 80s. I look every couple of months as I really want an arcade game.

glasslite-vlix.jpg

Even I knew that, somehow. A buddy had a US one 7 or 8 years ago. He thought it was worth the kind of numbers you are mentioning, even back then. Was he just overly optimistic, or have they not gone up much.

These sell too infrequently, and the market 7-8 years ago was a peak (think CGC BA 9.6/9.8 books). The market on foreign lines also seems to have lagged a bit in this recent upsurge and that includes really rare pieces. My guess is new money in the hobby will take a year or two to climatize to foreign lines, which is when those markets may start to heat up again. The move to foreign lines is usually fairly linear, meaning most of the time new collectors are seeking out variations of characters and stumble on a foreign MOC or loose figure they haven't seen before, but the inclination and drive to purchase is motivated by familiarity with the character and not necessarily the foreign line.

In this sense, interest in Vlix tends to be more non-linear, and slightly on the fringe because he never existed in the US, the Droids line was the only intended appearance, and while he's got a niche following, most of the vet collectors have one or two secured, and it's going to take new blood with interest in the Droids or South American Glasslite lines to keep the market alive. The nostalgic appeal is also limited to few South Americans lucky enough to have owned one, and fans of the Droids cartoon series.

It's strange to me because even 4 years ago, a lot of people were moving away from US Kenner thinking it was everywhere, and had reached it's peak, but the exact opposite occurred post-Disney acquisition. That said, if a nice high grade Glasslite example showed-up, there would be quite a bidding frenzy. Same with a prototype Vlix. The recent proto Vlix coin did fairly well, considering I've seen them sell in the $500-$600 range, but that one was one of the nicer examples I've seen.