• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for Star Wars experts

87 posts in this topic

wiz,

I'll be honest, I was never a SW fan, but I did always enjoy these sit-down, cockpit versions of the arcade game. If I was going to put together a home arcade I'd consider one of these (although it does take up a lot of real estate). What's one of these worth these days?

I assume not a fortune given the difficulty of transport and storage, but it would be a real cool item to have IMO.

starwarsArcade_SitDownCabinet.jpg

wiz,

I'll be honest, I was never a SW fan, but I did always enjoy these sit-down, cockpit versions of the arcade game. If I was going to put together a home arcade I'd consider one of these (although it does take up a lot of real estate). What's one of these worth these days?

I assume not a fortune given the difficulty of transport and storage, but it would be a real cool item to have IMO.

It's funny you mention this because someone I know recently bought the "Atari - STAR WARS" panel that's placed on the outside, behind the seat. He paid $50 for it and I thought that was a steal. The game experiences such a big swing in value, that it's really hard to put a firm number on it. I would highly recommend owning this if you're prepared to learn how to repair it yourself, because my understanding is they can be quite temperamental and the value on these is almost always contingent on working condition and all original parts. I've actually heard of people who tested the unit on-site, and by the time it was delivered to them or they drove the unit back to their place, it stopped working. I'd say getting one in so-so shape (clean graphics, nothing too distracting as far as wear or damage), in 100% working condition would run you about $2500 and up. I've seen them sell for over $3K. It's got big time man-cave appeal, the only thing is you have to get past the nervousness of possibly ending-up with a unit that decides to stop working.

wiz,

Oh man I used to love that game!

The Telescoping Lightsaber Darth Vader that was made in 1978 is supposed to be the rarest. The lightsaber was easy to break so they replaced it with a solid one. Darth Vader, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Luke Skywalker all had telescoping lightsabers but the Vader one is the rarest and is very expensive.

Al the ones I saw as a kid had the telescoping lightsaber (with the extending red nib on the end) and I never knew it was rare at all. Maybe it was a Canadian thing.

No, ALL of the vader/ben/lukes on star wars cards had that nib (not counting luke bespin and jedi, which came on esb and rotj cardbacks), but that doesn't mean it was double-telescoping.

I am not sure what you're talking about, as I clearly stated the ones we had (bought from Sears the first day they were out) all had telescoping light sabers (which from the photos I have seen, mean a slide lightsaber + a telescoping nib that extended further) so I'm not at all sure what you're referring to.

Or am I not understanding your new-fangled definition of "telescoping"?

Here's what I'm clearly referring to, and if you have a different version of a "telescoping lightsaber" then please let me know what you're talking about:

Ben_Obi-Wan_Kenobi_double_telescoping_lightsaber.jpg

I am not saying this is on the level of the rarest of rare, but I remember when I was buying some star wars stuff there was an unreleased droids or ewok figure(don't remember which series) that was pretty expensive. This was about 10 years ago

The rare ones are the "double telescoping lightsaber versions" (as shown in your picture on the right) which proved difficult to produce so they moved to the non-telescoping (where it just was one solid piece that extended) as seen on the left.

The Telescoping Lightsaber Darth Vader that was made in 1978 is supposed to be the rarest. The lightsaber was easy to break so they replaced it with a solid one. Darth Vader, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Luke Skywalker all had telescoping lightsabers but the Vader one is the rarest and is very expensive.

Al the ones I saw as a kid had the telescoping lightsaber (with the extending red nib on the end) and I never knew it was rare at all. Maybe it was a Canadian thing.

No, ALL of the vader/ben/lukes on star wars cards had that nib (not counting luke bespin and jedi, which came on esb and rotj cardbacks), but that doesn't mean it was double-telescoping.

I am not sure what you're talking about, as I clearly stated the ones we had (bought from Sears the first day they were out) all had telescoping light sabers (which from the photos I have seen, mean a slide lightsaber + a telescoping nib that extended further) so I'm not at all sure what you're referring to.

Here's what I'm clearly referring to, and if you have a different version of a "telescoping lightsaber" then please let me know what you're talking about:

You live in Ottawa right, there is no way in hell you bought CDN carded figures with a telescoping lightsaber, Vader, Ben or Luke.

Jim

You live in Ottawa right, there is no way in hell you bought CDN carded figures with a telescoping lightsaber, Vader, Ben or Luke.

Never said they were Canadian, only that I had a Darth Vader telescoping lightsaber figure. And I grew up in Brockville, one short bridge or rowboat away from the US.

Not sure where they came from, but I think most of them they were from Sears. The only telescoping one I owned was Darth Vader, and it may have been a gift for all I know (I did get a US lightspeeder cuz it was impossible to find up here). I have lots of US relatives in Chicago and NY, and I did take summer-long US trips during 1976 and 1978 (I don't think the figures were released yet??? - Christmas 78 wasn't it?)) and since Brockville was right on the border, we Christmas shopped there a lot, but most of my stuff was, again, straight from the Sears catalog and picked up at the local depot.

We did have one transplanted Yank in the group who moved there between SW and ESB and he was the biggest SW fan ever made (he wrote SW plays and fanfic before it was nerd-cool), but I don't think I traded with him. He had all the figures though, so I may be transposing on the Luke/Obi-Wan ones.

But who knows, my "toy memories" from back then are pretty hazy, but I know 100% that my Vader was telescoping, where ever the hell he came from originally.

But hey, thanks for saying I'm lying, it's most appreciated. (thumbs u

Never said they were Canadian, only that I had a Darth Vader telescoping lightsaber figure. And I grew up in Brockville, one short bridge or rowboat away from the US.

Not sure where they came from, but I think most of them they were from Sears. The only telescoping one I owned was Darth Vader, and it may have been a gift for all I know (I did get a US lightspeeder cuz it was impossible to find up here). I have lots of US relatives in Chicago and NY, and I did take summer-long US trips during 1976 and 1978 (I don't think the figures were released yet??? - Christmas 78 wasn't it?)) and since Brockville was right on the border, we Christmas shopped there a lot, but most of my stuff was, again, straight from the Sears catalog and picked up at the local depot.

We did have one transplanted Yank in the group who moved there between SW and ESB and he was the biggest SW fan ever made (he wrote SW plays and fanfic before it was nerd-cool), but I don't think I traded with him. He had all the figures though, so I may be transposing on the Luke/Obi-Wan ones.

But who knows, my "toy memories" from back then are pretty hazy, but I know 100% that my Vader was telescoping, where ever the hell he came from originally.

But hey, thanks for saying I'm lying, it's most appreciated. (thumbs u

Never once said you were lying, they just never existed on a KennerCanada card period. Your expanded story is very plausible and I'd accept as the 100% truth. :thumbsup:

Jim

The obligatory Jar Jar Binks jokes having already been made, I will simply sit back and enjoy some...

:popcorn:

Hey laugh all you want-some day the Jar Jar action figgers will be the MOST valuable as they had all been destroyed in disgust.

The obligatory Jar Jar Binks jokes having already been made, I will simply sit back and enjoy some...

Hey laugh all you want-some day the Jar Jar action figgers will be the MOST valuable as they had all been destroyed in disgust.

What's a figger? lol

That's what old coots sittin on the porch call 'figures'

Well they are 'obligatory' for good reason. That character and that movie were intellectually offensive

wiz,

I probably put $2000 worth of quarters into that game. :cloud9: I would love to have one now.