• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Question for Star Wars experts

87 posts in this topic

That was a Boba Fett figure. The rocket on his jetpack would fire and little kids could choke on it.

So they recalled it and then rereleased them with the rocket permanently attached to the jetpack.

I ordered that figure when I was a kid.

Before Empire came out you could send in proofs of purchase off the figure cards from the first movie and receive a Boba Fett figure. I rode my bike to the mailbox every day for weeks (we lived on a rural route at the end of a dirt road) waiting on the figure to arrive. The figure came in a little white box which included a note explaining that the rocket would no longer fire as it was a choking hazard. I was good with that.

lol i remember a friend and I felt gypped because we played with galactica and micronaut toys and were looking forward to the firing missile.

Haha I also remember a kid I went to school with claimed his cousin had it because he was someone special in relation to kenner or something. not sure that was before or after he claimed his uncle invented the nerf football.

Side question for Star Wars experts: best way to kill Jar Jar Binks?

Ignore it. In fact, never acknowledge it existed. It was really only a horrible nightmare - a bad acid trip if you will.

Not ever watching that horrible trilogy mostly works for me.

Mostly.

The rocket firing Boba Fett is the most expensive. But not just any one, there is a VERY rare packaged sales promo version..

From my understanding there is only one known copy.

This is the most expensive Star Wars figure known.

'

any known recorded sales/prices?

the non-promo version L slot prototype last sold for $16k

http://scoop.diamondgalleries.com/Home/4/1/73/1012?articleID=44716

I've had two offers in the $24K range and refused both, so I'd say the L-Slot prototype is starting to fall into the category of a moving target, as it becomes very difficult to price something most people holding on to remaining examples aren't willing to sell.

And here's info on the carded promo one

http://theswca.com/index.php?action=disp_item&item_id=48813

The Toy Fair sample had been listed at least once (possibly a second time in the past decade) for $100K. It's historical significance isn't lost on me, but in It's current state, being a J-Slot on a breached mock-up, might make it one of the rarest, but hard to come up with a value without comparables. An equally desirable "one-of-a-kind" piece would be a hand-created wax sculpt "master" of the production figure (coming after the engineered prototypes for the L/J Slots), and possibly a value contender in the pre-production category if it ever came to market:

rocket_fetts_proto.jpg

As for production figures, MOC DT Vader/Ben would probably be in the value range of $30K (slightly more for Ben) in AFA 85 condition. An ESB Toltoys Vinyl Cape Jawa would be rarer, and if one were to turn up in a similarly high grade, it would likely sell for more than $30K.

The Uzay Head Man MOC is rarer/more expensive than anything mentioned in this thread so far. Since both known examples are locked up in Black Hole collections (one being Rick Springfield's), if another surfaces it will sell for well above $50k.

Peace,

Chip

Side question for Star Wars experts: best way to kill Jar Jar Binks?

WTF is a Jar Jar Binks? That sounds horrible.

Glad George wasn't crazy enough to put a "Jar Jar Binks" in the movies, it would probably kill the franchise.

The Uzay Head Man MOC is rarer/more expensive than anything mentioned in this thread so far. Since both known examples are locked up in Black Hole collections (one being Rick Springfield's), if another surfaces it will sell for well above $50k.

Peace,

Chip

Cool as it might be, it simply is not in the same "most prized" category as any of the pieces I've mentioned.

Remember the light sabers they made that had the sound effects when you swung them? They probably wouldn't sell those today. They were actually pretty tough. We hurt ourselves a lot hitting each other with those. lol

Peace,

Chip

I didnt think the turkish bootlegs had as big a market as the general Star Wars carded figures.

All of the Boba Fett figures still have the L slot, it's just been filled in on the mold. It is more evident when looking at it from the inside but can often still be made out from the outside.

it is incredibly easy to cut it out and insert a firing pin spring.

All of the Boba Fett figures still have the L slot, it's just been filled in on the mold. It is more evident when looking at it from the inside but can often still be made out from the outside.

it is incredibly easy to cut it out and insert a firing pin spring.

On early Fett's I would say you could see where the L-Slot was filled in. I looked at my foreign Fett's (Ledy and Palitoy) and it's not as apparent. The slot for both the L and J slot would be done at the tooling stage, so there wouldn't necessarily be a need for a hardcopy/first shot/protomold for each. That said, there is a master wax sculpt (white one in the photo I shared earlier) for the production Fett, and a protomold does also exist for the rocket version. In addition to these, there is also a known first shot for the production Fett that is peach/black (middle in the photo):

3fettsfront2.jpg

3fettsback2.jpg

Also to clarify one of the points made earlier, the only production version of a "removable" rocket is in fact the Lili Ledy Fett. There is no spring-fired mechanism or slot on the RR Ledy Fett, but it does have a missile which can be removed, and seated in the rocket pack (seen in the following video):

While there is a great deal of skepticism that such an "error" example would ever appear in MOC, if one were to surface (and I have been led to believe there might possibly be a known example) there is no doubt in my mind that it would be the Emperor of production MOC's that shatters all value records.

Cool as it might be, it simply is not in the same "most prized" category as any of the pieces I've mentioned.

I'd say selling prices of $27,000 and $30,000 with several people in the wings waiting to pay $50,000 once another surfaces pretty much proves my point.

Peace,

Chip

I'd say selling prices of $27,000 and $30,000 with several people in the wings waiting to pay $50,000 once another surfaces pretty much proves my point.

Peace,

Chip

I know of at least three others. I'm going out on a limb with this statement (simply because at least one of the people would never consider selling) but if someone put a bounty of $50K for one right now, one of those three would surely be motivated to sell. I know I would sell - in a heartbeat.

The rarity argument is understandable simply on the premise the headman is so rare it wasn't even in any of the movies, but finding a willing party ready to drop that kind of money on one is another thing altogether. I don't want to take away from the collecting segment that follows UZAY's, but there are other items from other foreign lines that could be regarded as being more coveted, and aren't that far off from the value mark, if not exceeding your suggestion. Also, to be clear, when I see someone asking about "most prized" I'm interpreting "most coveted", which isn't always contingent on factors of rarity or value alone.

Another thing to bear in mind - the market at this point is beside itself as far as "sane" market valuations. When you have people making offers of $9K on a 21 Back Fett AFA 85, you have to take a step back and ask yourself whether some of these value claims are actually based on "repeatable" and "logical" value progression, or whether we have another "manufactured" peak market emerging. Despite being able to give a more linear and consistent value progression on Boba Fett items doubling in anticipation of a solo film being released, the others falling outside the "hype-cycle" more closely resemble a play by those who might be looking for an exit for pieces they bought at peak, and more astute collectors/buyers in this hobby just aren't willing to participate in that kind of a relay race. You have to ground yourself at the summit and with a view of all the valleys and peaks the SW toy hobby has experienced in just the past 10 years to really grasp the latter point. For this reason (and others which I won't go into and possibly bore anyone with) $50K is excessively optimistic.

Another thing to bear in mind - the market at this point is beside itself as far as "sane" market valuations. When you have people making offers of $9K on a 21 Back Fett AFA 85, you have to take a step back and ask yourself whether some of these value claims are actually based on "repeatable" and "logical" value progression, or whether we have another "manufactured" peak market emerging. Despite being able to give a more linear and consistent value progression on Boba Fett items doubling in anticipation of a solo film being released, the others falling outside the "hype-cycle" more closely resemble a play by those who might be looking for an exit for pieces they bought at peak, and more astute collectors/buyers in this hobby just aren't willing to participate in that kind of a relay race. You have to ground yourself at the summit and with a view of all the valleys and peaks the SW toy hobby has experienced in just the past 10 years to really grasp this point. For this reason (and others which I won't go into and possibly bore anyone with) $50K is excessively optimistic.

Ahem...uh .... what?? Are we still talking about toys?

jus kiddin bro - well said

The Telescoping Lightsaber Darth Vader that was made in 1978 is supposed to be the rarest. The lightsaber was easy to break so they replaced it with a solid one. Darth Vader, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Luke Skywalker all had telescoping lightsabers but the Vader one is the rarest and is very expensive.

Al the ones I saw as a kid had the telescoping lightsaber (with the extending red nib on the end) and I never knew it was rare at all. Maybe it was a Canadian thing.

No, ALL of the vader/ben/lukes on star wars cards had that nib (not counting luke bespin and jedi, which came on esb and rotj cardbacks), but that doesn't mean it was double-telescoping. To distinguish between an actual DT luke/vader/ben from an ordinary one, you had to look very closely to see if you could see the "ring" around the nib which was the hole into which the narrower part could slide in and out. If you were just holding it at arms length, you would find it very difficult to distinguish between the DT variety and the ordinary ones, unless the narrower part of the saber was particularly extended or retracted. Some unscrupulous ebay sellers will try to deceive ebay buyers by cutting off that nib, or by heat-extending it, then taking a blurry photograph and acting like they don't know what they are talking about in hopes that folks will bid it up, thinking it is an actual DT.

The Telescoping Lightsaber Darth Vader that was made in 1978 is supposed to be the rarest. The lightsaber was easy to break so they replaced it with a solid one. Darth Vader, Obi-Wan Kenobi and Luke Skywalker all had telescoping lightsabers but the Vader one is the rarest and is very expensive.

Al the ones I saw as a kid had the telescoping lightsaber (with the extending red nib on the end) and I never knew it was rare at all. Maybe it was a Canadian thing.

No, ALL of the vader/ben/lukes on star wars cards had that nib (not counting luke bespin and jedi, which came on esb and rotj cardbacks), but that doesn't mean it was double-telescoping. To distinguish between an actual DT luke/vader/ben from an ordinary one, you had to look very closely to see if you could see the "ring" around the nib which was the hole into which the narrower part could slide in and out. If you were just holding it at arms length, you would find it very difficult to distinguish between the DT variety and the ordinary ones, unless the narrower part of the saber was particularly extended or retracted. Some unscrupulous ebay sellers will try to deceive ebay buyers by cutting off that nib, or by heat-extending it, then taking a blurry photograph and acting like they don't know what they are talking about in hopes that folks will bid it up, thinking it is an actual DT.

True. And the existence of repros haven't helped the situation any either.

To be clear, the double-telescoping version is a two piece saber, which were early versions found on Luke, Ben and Vader. Their production was short-lived due to choking hazards. The Luke is by far the most abundant as far as supply because the first releases (A,B,C and D) of the early bird (EB) set with 4 figures (Chewie, R2 and Leia and Luke) came with a DT Luke version. The later C and D release EB sets with a Luke DT are much scarcer, and non-DT Luke's are more commonly found in these later EB sets. This coupled with the fact Luke DT's were also found on 12 Back MOC's, whereas the Ben and Vader only came on 12 Back MOC's. The Ben DT is the rarest as far as population of production DT's is concerned, and some of this has to do with the blue DT saber being more fragile and prone to breaking apart.

DSC00851.jpg